U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:51 PM

86 posts, read 134,416 times

Advertisements

I just looked at the train map. It looks like there is a whole line missing that should go northwest out to East Cobb. A train line that runs northwest and goes to Marietta would be great. I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse, but what is the deal with public transportation? Atlanta is a large metropolitan city. I am possibly moving here from DC. While our metro system is expensive, it runs pretty well to the different suburbs. I am trying to find a good subdivision near Atlanta and my husband would be working downtown. I heard that Marietta schools are really good if you are going to public school. Yet, there is no MARTA out that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 09:12 PM

4,150 posts, read 5,752,090 times
The metro counties of Clayton, Cobb and Gwinnett voted down MARTA when it was proposed for their area in 70's and MARTA never bothered to ask for a re vote with the three counties so MARTA sticks to 2 counties that voted for the tax when the subway system was proposed.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:16 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,282,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharynu View Post
I just looked at the train map. It looks like there is a whole line missing that should go northwest out to East Cobb. A train line that runs northwest and goes to Marietta would be great. I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse, but what is the deal with public transportation? Atlanta is a large metropolitan city. I am possibly moving here from DC. While our metro system is expensive, it runs pretty well to the different suburbs. I am trying to find a good subdivision near Atlanta and my husband would be working downtown. I heard that Marietta schools are really good if you are going to public school. Yet, there is no MARTA out that way.
Marta only has a service area with about 1.5 million people out of the 5.2 million metro.

We didn't have a federal district working in our favor for funding.

We have a state that won't help pay. The whole system is mostly supported by fare revenue, ad sales, and a 1% sales tax.

That 1% sales tax is only in two counties: Dekalb and Fulton.

Back when MARTA was first being constructed the other core counties: Clayton, Cobb, and Gwinnett were still fairly small and the refused to vote to pay into the 1% tax.

End result we are a highly fragmented area marching to the beats of different drums. MARTA is really good for what it is, but it can't expand into counties not funding it and it only has limited funds from a 2-county service area to fund it.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:21 PM

74 posts, read 149,641 times
there are options for your husband if you move to Cobb Co (Marietta). Cobb Co govt operates a bus transit service that links to the Arts Center rail station in Atlanta. It's called Cobb Community Transit, CCT for short. Google it for info and schedules.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:26 PM

86 posts, read 134,416 times
Thank you. That all makes sense. The bus link in Marietta is also very helpful. I know the DC area has those types of commuter buses for those who live outside metro DC area yet commute to DC for work. I didn't even think about asking about that.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:31 PM

28,183 posts, read 24,739,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
The metro counties of Clayton, Cobb and Gwinnett voted down MARTA when it was proposed for their area in 70's and MARTA never bothered to ask for a re vote with the three counties so MARTA sticks to 2 counties that voted for the tax when the subway system was proposed.
Seems like it would be up to the outlying counties to take a vote and ask to join MARTA.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:40 PM

4,150 posts, read 5,752,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Seems like it would be up to the outlying counties to take a vote and ask to join MARTA.
It is.

bsharynu: Xpress GA - System Map

Old 07-03-2012, 09:54 PM

155 posts, read 341,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharynu View Post
I just looked at the train map. It looks like there is a whole line missing that should go northwest out to East Cobb. A train line that runs northwest and goes to Marietta would be great. I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse, but what is the deal with public transportation?

MARTA was supposed to have a line hit Cobb county, in fact, if your in the tunnel just north of Arts Center (???) before you exit the tunnel you will see the siding MARTA built anticipating a Cobb county line. Cobb country voters opted to not pass the MARTA tax and never had the line built to them.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,121,817 times
I thought Clayton County had a vote to be a part of MARTA recently. The demographics definitely supports the county's inclusion into the system.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Box

382 posts, read 536,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I thought Clayton County had a vote to be a part of MARTA recently. The demographics definitely supports the county's inclusion into the system.
They did a few years back I believe, but it was a non-binding vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta