U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 11:35 AM

249 posts, read 545,581 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
Can anyone out there tell me what's it like to live in Buckhead, specially with kids? We are looking for more of a city like vibe than Alpharetta has to offer. We are just debating if we want to live ITP. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 12:11 PM

7,707 posts, read 9,552,968 times
It's one of the only areas intown you can live with kids and have them go to good schools, at least elementary if they are in Sarah Smith.

A lot of families seem to be concentrated around Chastain Park. It's really not that bad of a place to have kids, believe it or not, because you have easy access to the city to the south and it's still really easy to get to suburban areas to the north. You'll still find yourself heading out to the burbs occasionally because there is no Buckhead Chuck E. Cheese and other things like that.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:28 PM

112 posts, read 250,377 times
Or look into Brookhaven--it's nearby to Buckhead. Nice neighborhoods.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:24 PM

1,957 posts, read 2,000,747 times
What kind of city vibe are you looking for? Heavier traffic? Taller buildings? Actual city blocks with sidewalks? Police sirens going off at all times of the day?

Old 07-04-2012, 07:54 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,962,260 times
I didn't live in Buckhead, but lived near by some years ago. Things that are different than suburban living:

1. You may have to park your car far from your condo / apartment. Sometimes this is inconvenient with rainy weather or carrying stuff you buy back to your place.

2. If you like to go out on the town, way more convenient of course.

3. It can be noisy in some places at night intown, you hear fire truck sirens, police car sirens, street noise, but it can depend where you live

4. Most likely, your living area will be smaller than most places in the suburbs, do you care about having less personal space? - just depends, I guess.

Personally, I prefer the suburbs with kids, but being single, married or an empty-nester, I really do enjoy intown living, for me, though, I just don't think it is all that kid-friendly. YMMV.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:43 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,809,339 times
Are you going to rent or buy? That makes a huge difference in the differences, I think....

Old 07-05-2012, 07:37 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,309,688 times
A few questions?

Budget? Rent/buy
Age of children?
Any other information?

Are you open to other intown areas? (similar areas would be Brookhaven, Ansley Park, Druid Hills.)

I live in Buckhead and have lived in Ansley Park and Druid Hills in the past. I love both of them and sometimes think about moving back but, I always think about the advantages of Buckhead. It is so much easier to get to shopping, private schools, restaurants, supermarkets, etc. When I lived in Ansley and Druid I was always driving into Buckhead.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:52 AM

329 posts, read 507,873 times
we moved from Suwanee into 'Brookhaven' 2 years ago (rented at first, then bought within the area) and have not regretted it one bit.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:32 PM

28,153 posts, read 24,696,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkvidal View Post
Hi guys,
Can anyone out there tell me what's it like to live in Buckhead, specially with kids? We are looking for more of a city like vibe than Alpharetta has to offer. We are just debating if we want to live ITP. Any info would be appreciated.
Buckhead is full of kids and has outstanding public and private schools. Lots of other great youth programs as well. You'll get a high quality of life and the convenience of the city.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:47 PM

2,677 posts, read 5,077,352 times
Are these serious questions? Some of us like the city vibe and would rather raise our kids in an intown neighborhood. There are many reasons why one would choose the city and many why one would choose the suburbs. Many neighborhoods in the city have a more suburban feel to them as well then you may think.

Traffic? It is often times twice as bad in the suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
What kind of city vibe are you looking for? Heavier traffic? Taller buildings? Actual city blocks with sidewalks? Police sirens going off at all times of the day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or