Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:59 PM

86 posts, read 163,658 times

Advertisements

I looked at the tuition for private schools and the average is around $18K. (Not including books, activity fee or other ancillary charges). Do most people pay that? What if you have 2 children in school? $40K. How do people (who are not super wealthy) afford private school? I understand there is tuition assistance, but how much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 05:47 AM

2,239 posts, read 5,815,000 times
I have two kids in private school. Well, we sacrifice. My kids have never been to Disney World or on a ski vacation, etc... We drive old cars that are already paid for. We have to wait to do home improvements that would be nice, but aren't necessary. We pay full fare. Tuition assistance is not as common as you might think. However, some schools use the FACTS program whereby you can pay monthly instead of in 1 or 2 chunks as many schools require. We are not super wealthy by any means (although Obama would say we are, but I digress). You can find private schools that are not that expensive, but most of the "elite" schools in Atlanta do fall in the range you mentioned.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:13 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,262,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharynu View Post
I looked at the tuition for private schools and the average is around $18K. (Not including books, activity fee or other ancillary charges). Do most people pay that? What if you have 2 children in school? $40K. How do people (who are not super wealthy) afford private school? I understand there is tuition assistance, but how much?
No- "most" people buy in an area with good public schools and utilize the facilities that they're already paying for through their property taxes.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:23 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,601,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharynu View Post
Yes, most people who use private schools pay full tuition. Some don't even miss it, but for many others they make the sacrifices that CMom talked about.

As to Bob's comments, there are also people who know they are going to be private school families and they buy a less expensive home in a less expensive school district and that is part of their strategy.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,688 times
Default New to the area

I will be moving to sandy springs in Jan and I need to know what are some of the best private school in that area

Old 07-22-2014, 10:25 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,368,117 times
Woodward Academy (not in Sandy Springs, but the largest Private School in the country)

Old 07-22-2014, 12:41 PM

550 posts, read 983,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by printersdarlene View Post
I will be moving to sandy springs in Jan and I need to know what are some of the best private school in that area
You won't be able to get into the best private schools until next year, and it is very competitive. Start a new thread with what you are interested in specifically and you will get better info.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:45 PM

559 posts, read 827,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by printersdarlene View Post
Holy Innocents in Sandy Springs is a great school and where my daughter has been the last 3 years. Very expensive @ $20k/yr, but some of the nicest people I've ever met and my daughter had a fantastic experience there.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:02 PM

2,278 posts, read 3,009,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
We are not super wealthy by any means (although Obama would say we are, but I digress). You can find private schools that are not that expensive, but most of the "elite" schools in Atlanta do fall in the range you mentioned.
Lol at this statement. Do you know you know what the median household income and median personal income are in this country?

Household income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you can afford two private school tuitions and your mortgage then you're probably in the top 20-25% in the USA. That would make you comparitively wealthy, desite the huge disparity in the upper income block.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:50 PM

559 posts, read 827,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Lol at this statement. Do you know you know what the median household income and median personal income are in this country?

If you can afford two private school tuitions and your mortgage then you're probably in the top 20-25% in the USA. That would make you comparitively wealthy, desite the huge disparity in the upper income block.

Why do you assume there is a mortgage? One reason our family can afford 2 private school tuitions is because we bought less house than we could afford 15 years ago and sacrificed to pay it off in 10 years before our kids started school. We kinda did the Dave Ramsey thing before Dave Ramsey was cool.

Our friends all have bigger houses with granite countertops, nice furnishings, basement, etc. . . but we place a higher value on our kids' education. We also don't do expensive trips, vacations, or restaurants.

It's all strategy, planning, and figuring out what your priorities are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta