U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-18-2012, 09:13 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,646,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Not so fast my friend, the Millennials came out in 2008 in surprise numbers, so don't think we don't care. Its our future, not yours. You have already had a chance to run this country and you ran it straight into the ground. Now its up to my generation to pull it out of the dirty and the first thing is to stop this unsustainable, car-centric development. Have any of y'all been reading how young professionals and families want urban life and many are moving to the cities?
Despite its current difficulties, the United States is still one of the greatest nations that has ever existed in the documented history of the world, and I think you should consider yourself lucky to be able to take advantage of the opportunities you've being given in this country by your predecessors.

I was grateful to be here, back when I was younger. I still am. Wait until the leadership from your generation takes power and does the same thing our leadership has always done. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss... If corporate interests dictate that personal transportation is the way to go, then that is what you will continue to see.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Status: "Speaking gets your voice heard, but think beforehand." (set 27 days ago)

3,477 posts, read 3,692,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
The amount of projects that will actually improve interstate driving is VERY small. Outside of interchange upgrades between I-20 and I-285 on the west side and I-285 and 400 there isn't much. Those are both needed but guess what, they won't even start working on those until 2020!!
..and that's if TSPLOST passes. Imagine how long those projects will take if it doesn't.

Besides, 2020 is closer than you think. Less than 8 years to go.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:47 PM

2,400 posts, read 1,369,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I do not understand why we have ANY elections on workdays. Just stupid imo. The state workers should be willing to work a few Saturdays a year so more people can participate in their representative government.
Completely agree. Hell, even Mexico has voting day on a Sunday--in an overwhelmingly Catholic nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2ATL2NY View Post
Its a tru shame How much Opposition there Really is to something so desprately needed...
A one percent tax for much needed transportation fixes over 10 years is NOT GOING TO BREAK ANYONES POCKETS!
I guarantee it!..My God they put it across as if its a burden on the middle class?..Gimme a break people...You wont even notice it in ur paycheck u recieve. Lets stop exagerattin about the tax and EMBRACE IT! ...So these people claim it unfairly taxes the middle class and all thay Bullshyt..well who Uses the roads on the regular?? People without cars?? Rediculousness at its finest
And yet these people voting against this plan offer up NO SOLUTIONS to fixing and improving the traffic situation here..so its just vote no, do nothing, and watch the city Stagnate. If someone on the opposition team showed me a valid way to go about this besides this new tax them Im all Ears...Until then I suggest you Naysayers take a seat and shut the %~ Up! Ur Propaganda is poisoning!!! Becuase ur not FOR Atlanta...Ur AGAINST IT!
It's a vote for (or against) the future with the emotions of the present.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:48 PM

2,400 posts, read 1,369,837 times

Old 07-18-2012, 11:36 PM
Status: "Speaking gets your voice heard, but think beforehand." (set 27 days ago)

3,477 posts, read 3,692,896 times
LOL. Funny, but oh so true.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:21 AM

397 posts, read 421,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
there are many, mostly in the suburbs, that refuse to give up reliance on their cars. For this thing to even have a chance to pass it had to appease to them too. We get the BeltLine and Clifton Corridor, they get freeway interchange improvements and road widenings that will just fill up again.
So you are saying that those in the suburbs are being offered no long term solution and therefore should probably NOT vote for this?

Old 07-19-2012, 07:41 AM

7,496 posts, read 4,271,907 times
Quote:
I do not understand why we have ANY elections on workdays. Just stupid imo. The state workers should be willing to work a few Saturdays a year so more people can participate in their representative government.
There is Saturday voting at the early voting places July 27th.
Quote:
So you are saying that those in the suburbs are being offered no long term solution and therefore should probably NOT vote for this?
No, I am just saying it is harder for those in the suburbs to give up complete reliance on cars because the environment they chose to live in is not set up for alternative commutes.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:16 AM

4,688 posts, read 3,551,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
So I ran the Peachtree 10K yesterday and saw all the "Untie Atlanta" signs out - but was curious if there any "NO" groups that are organizing/distributing literature, getting out the vote?

I find it odd how all the "yes" materials threaten economic doom and gloom (i.e. scare tactics) if it fails. I personally think it's a subsidy to encourage suburbal sprawl and should be shot down - plus it's an unfair tax on the poor/middle class who regressive taxes hit the hardest.

Are there any "NO" groups out there? Which side is winning in the polls?
Should everybody who do not have kids stop paying taxes to help the school system to help the poor?

Old 07-19-2012, 12:21 PM

5,208 posts, read 3,119,701 times
I am really not understanding why this debate is so heated. Chances are it may not even pass & then they will propose a new one.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:27 PM

7,496 posts, read 4,271,907 times
Quote:
then they will propose a new one
If we're lucky. I'm not willing to take those chances. I like the list anyways, good mix of transit and roads. Along with the 15% local funds that provides counties the ability to tackle repaving and sidewalk back log or any other transportation issues they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta