U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-20-2012, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,844 posts, read 14,563,825 times
Reputation: 3484

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Reed is throwing his full support behind the Transportation Referendum because he knows most politicians are too chicken to pledge support with elections coming up.
And why is that, if the plan is so good and the support from voters is there? Why would any politician "be chicken" or Reed be so courageous as you claim, if the plan was popular and on target? The fact is that the polls and anecdotal evidence both show that's not the case. Politicians only distance themselves from the unpopular.

 
Old 07-20-2012, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,284 posts, read 16,321,109 times
Reputation: 4946
Quote:
I had no clue you all had this much drama & in fighting for something that is supossed to HELP the city be a better place.
Many of those in the suburbs see MARTA as a way for criminals to commit crimes. What they don't know is that I have never seen anybody ride the train or bus with a flat screen TV under their arm.
Quote:
And why is that, if the plan is so good and the support from voters is there? Why would any politician "be chicken" or Reed be so courageous as you claim, if the plan was popular and on target? The fact is that the polls and anecdotal evidence both show that's not the case. Politicians only distance themselves from the unpopular.
Because many of the Republicans that supported the vote for the Transportation Referendum are now doing a 180 because of political pressure. What about the politicians on the round table that unanimously approved teh list, now they are doing a 180 because they are scared of the tea baggers.
 
Old 07-20-2012, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,844 posts, read 14,563,825 times
Reputation: 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Because many of the Republicans that supported the vote for the Transportation Referendum are now doing a 180 because of political pressure. What about the politicians on the round table that unanimously approved teh list, now they are doing a 180 because they are scared of the tea baggers.
The referendum has opposition from many different circles, including Sen Vincent Fort, that infamous "tea bagger." The polls show that opposition is widespread, and you trying to pin it on "tea baggers" is ridiculous. To suggest otherwise is just ignoring reality.

The Marietta Daily Journal - Polls show TSPLOST has tough road ahead

Poll: Majority of metro voters now against TSPLOST | www.wsbtv.com

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/...-metro-Atlanta
 
Old 07-20-2012, 08:54 AM
 
1,755 posts, read 4,932,413 times
Reputation: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Many of those in the suburbs see MARTA as a way for criminals to commit crimes. What they don't know is that I have never seen anybody ride the train or bus with a flat screen TV under their arm.
.
True, but people do get shot/stabbed on about a 6 month cycle starting at 5 points Marta and South towards the airport.

People in our office (downtown) know not to go South of the 5 points Marta station on foot.
 
Old 07-20-2012, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,284 posts, read 16,321,109 times
Reputation: 4946
Quote:
True, but people do get shot/stabbed on about a 6 month cycle starting at 5 points Marta and South towards the airport.
Please show me the reports from every 6 months.
 
Old 07-20-2012, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Georgia
4,994 posts, read 4,034,646 times
Reputation: 2815
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
word? Man Marta was one of the biggest factor for me moving to Atlanta over Houston &Miami. I had no clue you all had this much drama & in fighting for something that is supossed to HELP the city be a better place. In the 4 yrs I've been in Atlanta, I've learn a lot about this place that is kinda backwards. Taxes are suppose to serve everyone.
Oooooohhh! Librul soshalism detected!

It's kind of sad, isn't it? The local Tea Party came out against the TSPLOST "because it has too much mass transit." Jesus, I never thought I'd see a day where people did that, even in the South.
 
Old 07-20-2012, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Georgia
4,994 posts, read 4,034,646 times
Reputation: 2815
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
The referendum has opposition from many different circles, including Sen Vincent Fort, that infamous "tea bagger." The polls show that opposition is widespread, and you trying to pin it on "tea baggers" is ridiculous. To suggest otherwise is just ignoring reality.

The Marietta Daily Journal - Polls show TSPLOST has tough road ahead

Poll: Majority of metro voters now against TSPLOST | www.wsbtv.com

11Alive Poll | T-SPLOST unpopular in metro Atlanta | 11alive.com
Where are the crosstabs that yield such conclusions? What I read was:

"Only Fulton and DeKalb now provide significant support with a combined 50 percent in favor and 32 percent opposed to the proposal that is estimated to raise more than $6 billion for transportation projects, airports, parks, sidewalks and other amenities, while generating economic development."

It's a known fact that Fulton and DeKalb are two of the least conservative counties in the area.

Oh hey look, one site does have the crosstabs: Republicans--Oppose by a 71-21 margin; Democrats support it 50-32. (And don't even THINK of trying to convince us that the Tea Party isn't a large subset of the Republican Party, because it is.)
 
Old 07-20-2012, 10:56 PM
 
Location: International Spacestation
5,207 posts, read 5,992,897 times
Reputation: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Oooooohhh! Librul soshalism detected!

It's kind of sad, isn't it? The local Tea Party came out against the TSPLOST "because it has too much mass transit." Jesus, I never thought I'd see a day where people did that, even in the South.
are you saying the tee party crowd is For traffic?
 
Old 07-21-2012, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Georgia
4,994 posts, read 4,034,646 times
Reputation: 2815
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
are you saying the tee party crowd is For traffic?
They very much know what they're against. They don't always what they effectively support.
 
Old 07-21-2012, 06:53 PM
 
Location: roswell
30 posts, read 50,582 times
Reputation: 28
I will be voting no and so will my wife..

just anther tax that will never go away despite what they say...

But it's a little scary you can always count on people to vote themselves a tax increase if they are convinced it's for roads or schools..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top