U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2012, 08:23 AM
bu2
 
8,979 posts, read 5,679,048 times
Reputation: 3540

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
If this article has already been posted my apologies, it's a good read detailing the inception of MARTA. The article also discusses transportation decisions and compromises the state and local governments have made over the years that have put us in the situation we are in now.

Features - Atlanta Magazine
The no annexation paragraph below the article is interesting reading. Lester Maddox helped keep the Atlanta metro area splintered.

The main article was interesting reading, but I disagree with its conclusions. We have a good MARTA backbone that can be expanded. What we lack, and is more difficult to correct, is a good arterial street backbone. And for that matter, the connector, merging 75 and 85 into one road, was the biggest transportation mistake. Atlanta took the cheap route.

 
Old 07-24-2012, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,844 posts, read 14,525,614 times
Reputation: 3484
I agree with most in that article, especially the following:

"The hysterical cries that “there is no plan B” are insufficient to pass this bill. Instead, it is more of a reason to vote against current incumbents. Leadership is about contingency planning. There is always, and must always, be a plan B. Any leader who says otherwise is either lying, or not qualified to be a leader.


Plan B should start with re-directing the 1% of motor fuels sales taxes from the general fund and to transportation projects. It should continue by re-directing Atlanta’s hotel motel tax revenues away from an unneeded new downtown stadium and into downtown transit infrastructure that would serve more of the region than 8 games of pro football annually will. And it must continue with suburban Atlantans and the rest of Georgia understanding that MARTA must be a regional transit system in order to effectively serve its mission. The state must also either support MARTA, which it currently does not, or release fiscal restrictions that prohibit the agency from using fare revenues to pay for ongoing operations and maintenance."

I do think that along with the latter point, MARTA must also raise fares to more adequately cover operations and costs in a world where gasoline costs $3.50/gallon.
 
Old 07-24-2012, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,177 posts, read 16,180,310 times
Reputation: 4899
Quote:
I do think that along with the latter point, MARTA must also raise fares to more adequately cover operations and costs in a world where gasoline costs $3.50/gallon.
MARTA has raised its fares several times during the past years, at $2.50 its reasonably compares to MTA, WAMAT, and CTA. The state must release its death grip on MARTA's budget and allow the transit agency to adjust its money. If the state would permanently relax the 50/50 split there is no reason the fares would need to increase.
Quote:
And it must continue with suburban Atlantans and the rest of Georgia understanding that MARTA must be a regional transit system in order to effectively serve its mission.
So are you saying that MARTA needs to serve Cobb, Clayton, and Gwinnett counties to serve its original purpose, and would you vote for the MARTA sales tax?
There is no way GDOT will divert even 1% of gas taxes to transit. I think its against the law in GA? While I do like the idea of using the motel/hotel tax revenue on building the BeltLine it will not happen because this is the south and football is king!
 
Old 07-24-2012, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,844 posts, read 14,525,614 times
Reputation: 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
MARTA has raised its fares several times during the past years, at $2.50 its reasonably compares to MTA, WAMAT, and CTA. The state must release its death grip on MARTA's budget and allow the transit agency to adjust its money. If the state would permanently relax the 50/50 split there is no reason the fares would need to increase.
The actual cost to provide service is much higher, and the cost to the customer (aka rider) needs to reflect that fact. Fares haven't kept pace with the rise of fuel and other costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
So are you saying that MARTA needs to serve Cobb, Clayton, and Gwinnett counties to serve its original purpose, and would you vote for the MARTA sales tax?
Not for the sales tax, no. I do think that it makes little sense for GRTA, CCT, Gwinnett Transit, and others to operate separate bus services when MARTA exists. I think consolidation under one umbrella is smart management and can bring economies of scale if done correctly and managed well (and the current knock on MARTA is that they are mismanaged).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
There is no way GDOT will divert even 1% of gas taxes to transit. I think its against the law in GA? While I do like the idea of using the motel/hotel tax revenue on building the BeltLine it will not happen because this is the south and football is king!
If MARTA raises fares to a more self-sufficient level, then that revenue, combined with better use of the existing sales tax, and some additional funding should go a long way. Do I think people in Valdosta should be heavily subsidizing a MARTA rider....nope. Do I think the state has a legitimate interest in transit in the capital city, absolutely.

I'm not and never have been "against transit" but I am against transfer payments from taxpayers to non-taxpayers, and I'm against government heavily subsidizing a service that serves very few in relative terms. Let's face it, the ridership of MARTA is pretty small (500K/day) when you consider the population of metro-Atlanta (5 million), and tiny when you consider the state as a whole (10 million). With competing priorities, the state has an obligation to address the most pressing needs for the most citizens.
 
Old 07-24-2012, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,844 posts, read 14,525,614 times
Reputation: 3484
TSPLOST deserves a resounding
 
Old 07-24-2012, 05:41 PM
 
28,146 posts, read 24,679,387 times
Reputation: 9534
Here's a good article on why so many local businesses are backing the TSPLOST. As the job creators, they have their finger on the pulse of what's needed to get our region back on track.

Quote:
United Distributors puts 110 vehicles on Metro Atlanta roads every day delivering hundreds of bottles of wine, alcohol and cases of beer. “We represent Miller products so Miller Lite,” said United CEO and President Doug Hertz. “We represent all of Coors products Coors and Coors light. ... Probably, the most frustrating thing the driver has to deal with is traffic,” said Steed. “He has little or no control over it and it sort of dictates to him what’s going to happen in his regular route.”

***

We drive, on a typical day, 200,000 miles in Atlanta,” said UPS CFO Kurt Keuhn. “Just a 5 minute delay on those drivers due to traffic costs us about $3,000 (a day per truck),” said Keuhn...during an interview at UPS’ Sandy Springs headquarters.

If the referendum passes and projects on the list relieve traffic congestion, both UPS and United Distributors argue that would help them receive and deliver goods on time. SPLOST.

***

Others say companies considering Metro Atlanta are also watching T-SPLOST. “They say, ‘We hear your traffic is really terrible,”’ said Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce economic development senior vice president Hans Gant. “What they want to hear is do we have a plan to address it.”

Gant says sometimes his sales pitch of international reach, educated workforce and low business costs can’t compete with traffic congestion.

When we were working with Mead Westvaco Corporation when they were doing their corporate headquarters search, traffic congestion was a big factor in their decision not to come here,” said [Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce economic development senior vice president Hans] Gant. Gant claims that company would have generated at least 800 local jobs. He says transportation investments in Dallas, Washington D.C. and Denver have helped those cities beat Atlanta.

“Our competitors are watching us very closely,” said Gant. “They want us to fail.”


Businesses back T-SPLOST | Public Broadcasting Atlanta
 
Old 07-24-2012, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Georgia
4,945 posts, read 3,997,094 times
Reputation: 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I agree with most in that article, especially the following:

"The hysterical cries that “there is no plan B” are insufficient to pass this bill. Instead, it is more of a reason to vote against current incumbents. Leadership is about contingency planning. There is always, and must always, be a plan B. Any leader who says otherwise is either lying, or not qualified to be a leader.


Plan B should start with re-directing the 1% of motor fuels sales taxes from the general fund and to transportation projects. It should continue by re-directing Atlanta’s hotel motel tax revenues away from an unneeded new downtown stadium and into downtown transit infrastructure that would serve more of the region than 8 games of pro football annually will. And it must continue with suburban Atlantans and the rest of Georgia understanding that MARTA must be a regional transit system in order to effectively serve its mission. The state must also either support MARTA, which it currently does not, or release fiscal restrictions that prohibit the agency from using fare revenues to pay for ongoing operations and maintenance."

I do think that along with the latter point, MARTA must also raise fares to more adequately cover operations and costs in a world where gasoline costs $3.50/gallon.
MARTA should raise their fares even more? Are you kidding me? It's already more expensive than the Chicago L, the New York subway, and the Boston metro!

How about our lovely state legislature finally get rid of that stupid 50/50 requirement instead?
 
Old 07-24-2012, 06:59 PM
 
28,146 posts, read 24,679,387 times
Reputation: 9534
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
How about our lovely state legislature finally get rid of that stupid 50/50 requirement instead?
toll booth,

I'm not arguing this, but if the 50/50 requirement was waived and MARTA spent all the money on operating expenses, wouldn't they just go deeper in the hole for maintenance and capital expenditures?
 
Old 07-24-2012, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Georgia
4,945 posts, read 3,997,094 times
Reputation: 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
toll booth,

I'm not arguing this, but if the 50/50 requirement was waived and MARTA spent all the money on operating expenses, wouldn't they just go deeper in the hole for maintenance and capital expenditures?
They won't go that far. They'll simply be given permission to pay their bills.

Nobody, I repeat, nobody else in the entire nation has a large transit system with such a ridiculous requirement. It's Big Government, pure and simple.
 
Old 07-24-2012, 07:14 PM
 
28,146 posts, read 24,679,387 times
Reputation: 9534
Here's an excellent common sense piece by the president of the Buckhead Business Association.

BuckheadView: Let’s be truthful: The T-SPLOST is just a beginning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top