Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:30 PM

969 posts, read 1,953,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
MARTA should raise their fares even more? Are you kidding me? It's already more expensive than the Chicago L, the New York subway, and the Boston metro!

How about our lovely state legislature finally get rid of that stupid 50/50 requirement instead?
Exactly... and it isn't as extensive as those other systems. Raising fares even more is not going to solve the problem because it will have a negative effect on ridership. I think they really should consider a distance based fare system, similar to DC instead of a flat rate system like they have now... in a way that is like raising fares, because the farther you go, the more you pay... but I think more people would use MARTA for shorter/medium length trips if a distance based fare system was in place... but just raising the flat rate fare above $2.50 one way will do more harm then good.

The 50/50 requirement needs to go and the state needs to start pitching in some sort of dedicated funds. MARTA has pretty good ridership for its size... imagine if we could expand it... it's really unfortunate.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:36 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,258,443 times
"As the job creators, they have their finger on the pulse of what's needed to get our region back on track."

If you were to vote for this bill - you would be the job creator - not business. It's just a ploy to take your money and give it to others (i.e. creating jobs). That 1% added tax comes from everyone - so there's no wealth creation as suddenly 5 million people are 1% poorer and 32,000 people have jobs. Redistrubution of wealth.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:56 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,753,815 times
Quote:
Do I think people in Valdosta should be heavily subsidizing a MARTA rider....nope
They currently are not since the state give $0 to MARTA.
Quote:
I'm not and never have been "against transit" but I am against transfer payments from taxpayers to non-taxpayers, and I'm against government heavily subsidizing a service that serves very few in relative terms
You saying that people on MARTA do not pay taxes, because everyone pays taxes. Sales taxes, income taxes, property taxes, there are several types of taxes. If you are insinuating that most people on MARTA are on welfare or EBT, then you are wrong. There are several thousand working class and professional people on the train. Not to mention the students that ride MARTA to the areas several colleges.
Quote:
I'm not arguing this, but if the 50/50 requirement was waived and MARTA spent all the money on operating expenses, wouldn't they just go deeper in the hole for maintenance and capital expenditures
No, MARTA would be able to pay its bills and perform maintenance. Maintenance is operational, not capital. At least MARTA does a great job on track maintenance, its the escalators that most people complain about. But even if escalators are broke they still work as stairs. The restrooms being closed is required by Homeland Security, but several stations have restrooms with attendants on duty to open them for you.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:23 PM

651 posts, read 1,557,752 times
why is there more signs to vote "yes" for this TSPOLSH. VS mitt Romney & Obama campain COMBINED?

Old 07-25-2012, 04:49 PM

31,997 posts, read 36,601,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoez View Post
why is there more signs to vote "yes" for this TSPOLSH. VS mitt Romney & Obama campain COMBINED?
A lot of people know how important this is and really want it to pass.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:55 PM

396 posts, read 599,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
"As the job creators, they have their finger on the pulse of what's needed to get our region back on track."

If you were to vote for this bill - you would be the job creator - not business. It's just a ploy to take your money and give it to others (i.e. creating jobs). That 1% added tax comes from everyone - so there's no wealth creation as suddenly 5 million people are 1% poorer and 32,000 people have jobs. Redistrubution of wealth.
no, this isn't welfare. these are people that would have jobs, and we will have additional and much needed transportation infrastructure.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:04 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,129,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Exactly... and it isn't as extensive as those other systems. Raising fares even more is not going to solve the problem because it will have a negative effect on ridership. I think they really should consider a distance based fare system, similar to DC instead of a flat rate system like they have now... in a way that is like raising fares, because the farther you go, the more you pay... but I think more people would use MARTA for shorter/medium length trips if a distance based fare system was in place... but just raising the flat rate fare above $2.50 one way will do more harm then good.

The 50/50 requirement needs to go and the state needs to start pitching in some sort of dedicated funds. MARTA has pretty good ridership for its size... imagine if we could expand it... it's really unfortunate.
I agree. I think asking our dear state legislature to fund MARTA at all may be too much to ask in this political climate, but at the very least, you'd think they might finally drop the 50/50. You'd think.

I do like the idea of distance-based fares, but it'd have to be done carefully. The average trip is probably about half the length of the lines.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:55 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,367,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoez View Post
Because this election is in 3 days. The presidential election is in 3 months.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,460 times
Default Whatever

Another TAX in another STATE in another CITY to make up for all of the ROOT of the EVIL. If this state was not so over-run by horrible crime, schools, individuals, and policies that catered to the leaches, then and only then would new taxes make since.
NO ONE addresses the real problem of this whole mess, and the fact that we have officials that distribute tax dollars to programs that do nothing but but a band-aid on a broken arm does nothing less than perpetuate the real problem. Atlanta is nothing more than a pre-Detroit. Placating to the black onslaught of gimmie-gimmie, and nothing matters except black elected officials. We all see where that gets American cities. Kids terrified for their lives, and nothing matters except PC PR about how everything is some white guy's fault!!!!
I can not WAIT to leave this horrific place behind, and move on to a place with some sort of VALUE and COMMON SENSE,,,,,,A place that is far from the ghetto embraced idea that we are all part of some divine diverse utopia. Heads-up ----- WE ARE NOT, and until people stand up and acknowledge that, they are all living with their heads in the sand.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:28 PM

561 posts, read 776,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runninforthewest View Post
Another TAX in another STATE in another CITY to make up for all of the ROOT of the EVIL. If this state was not so over-run by horrible crime, schools, individuals, and policies that catered to the leaches, then and only then would new taxes make since.
NO ONE addresses the real problem of this whole mess, and the fact that we have officials that distribute tax dollars to programs that do nothing but but a band-aid on a broken arm does nothing less than perpetuate the real problem. Atlanta is nothing more than a pre-Detroit. Placating to the black onslaught of gimmie-gimmie, and nothing matters except black elected officials. We all see where that gets American cities. Kids terrified for their lives, and nothing matters except PC PR about how everything is some white guy's fault!!!!
I can not WAIT to leave this horrific place behind, and move on to a place with some sort of VALUE and COMMON SENSE,,,,,,A place that is far from the ghetto embraced idea that we are all part of some divine diverse utopia. Heads-up ----- WE ARE NOT, and until people stand up and acknowledge that, they are all living with their heads in the sand.
The most educated and well-spoken post I've ever read.....

Where is the ban stick when you need it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta