U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 06:15 AM

368 posts, read 428,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Especially considering their history of lying to our faces about this. Enough is enough.
I'm kind of shocked to hear this coming from you. Decatur's mayor was on the 5-member roundtable executive committee. Voting no on this tax because you don't trust politicians is a perfect example of cutting off your nose to spite your face. We might as well stop paying any taxes, since we can't trust how they'll be spent, right? Who needs schools, roads, parks, police...

Old 07-07-2012, 08:57 AM

7 posts, read 6,896 times
Why are people acting like they are going to get a new $100 bill every month in the mail when the TSPLOST passes. Its only a SALES TAX. Its really not that big of a deal. Even if you were to pay an extra $100 a month, that means you spent $10,000, THAT MONTH ALONE on things that have a sales tax.

Im voting yes!

Old 07-07-2012, 09:27 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,532,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
I'm kind of shocked to hear this coming from you. Decatur's mayor was on the 5-member roundtable executive committee. Voting no on this tax because you don't trust politicians is a perfect example of cutting off your nose to spite your face. We might as well stop paying any taxes, since we can't trust how they'll be spent, right? Who needs schools, roads, parks, police...
If the politicians aren't paying for that stuff with our tax like they should anyway then why give them more money? It's a waste.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:29 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,532,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katebozz View Post
Why are people acting like they are going to get a new $100 bill every month in the mail when the TSPLOST passes. Its only a SALES TAX. Its really not that big of a deal. Even if you were to pay an extra $100 a month, that means you spent $10,000, THAT MONTH ALONE on things that have a sales tax.

Im voting yes!
Everyone isn't ballin like you bro. It's hard for many people around here to even get 40k a year.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:41 AM

7 posts, read 6,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Everyone isn't ballin like you bro. It's hard for many people around here to even get 40k a year.
lol. btw, I dont make 40k a year.

What Im sayin is you don't have to be ballin or even semi-ballin. This isn't a tax on a particular group or class. The passage of this tax isn't going to be the straw that breaks the camels back and cause everyone to move away.

When people here the word "tax" they get all paranoid. And i get that. But before you vote no. Please do your research. Its all out there and its very easy to find. Just Google Atlanta TSPLOST. Don't just vote no because its a TAX.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:10 AM

402 posts, read 584,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katebozz View Post
lol. btw, I dont make 40k a year.

What Im sayin is you don't have to be ballin or even semi-ballin. This isn't a tax on a particular group or class. The passage of this tax isn't going to be the straw that breaks the camels back and cause everyone to move away.

When people here the word "tax" they get all paranoid. And i get that. But before you vote no. Please do your research. Its all out there and its very easy to find. Just Google Atlanta TSPLOST. Don't just vote no because its a TAX.

This is what people don't seem to understand.

It is NOT a tax.

TSPLOST is an INVESTMENT. The Atlanta metro area will see returns on this INVESTMENT in terms of increased economic activity, shorter commutes, better and more diverse tansit options, possibly the best publicity of any city in the US over the next decade in the beltline, improved density, improved productivity, reduced environmental impact, and those are just things I as a semi-literate average citizen can see.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:51 PM

858 posts, read 1,121,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
It is NOT a tax.

TSPLOST is an INVESTMENT.
That's very Orwellian of you

Old 07-07-2012, 01:38 PM

731 posts, read 665,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
That's very Orwellian of you
you got to spend money to make money

Old 07-07-2012, 01:48 PM

455 posts, read 1,002,674 times
I'm a conservative at heart but coming from an 8.75% sales tax county in NY, I don't think you all know how good you've got it. We should pass this thing to better traffic for the entire area!! Living in S forsyth with a commute to Duluth for the hubs and my ability to keep my childrens main activity within a ten mile radius, the traffic doesn't affect me much at all but even I know we need to better things for the greater good of the region. I always said to my hubs when we were looking to move south that the only city I didn't want to move to was Atlanta. Guess why? We always heard traffic was horrendous. It's something people all over talk about. Let's change that perception!!

Old 07-07-2012, 02:53 PM

269 posts, read 791,028 times
Personally I think we should pay for what we use...toll ALL the federal and state highways, then remove the gas tax! I maybe, get on an expressway once a month. Yet I subsidize it every time I fill up so everyone who uses it every day can pay less to drive it. What a crock.

Also I'd like to see transit privatized. Detroit has a private/public joint light rail line trying to go in on Woodward...but of course the good ol govt is throwing its arms up.

Personally I think Atlanta needs more transit options and we should stop subsidizing the hwys...just wish there was a better way than more taxes. Is what it is I guess...I'm still on the fence about this vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or