U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 04:37 PM

349 posts, read 759,037 times

Advertisements

Why not raise money faster....say an additional 5% sales tax? That would fix our issues faster!

Old 07-07-2012, 05:43 PM

4,951 posts, read 4,002,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What was the 400 toll fiasco?
The Georgia 400 tolls were supposed to end once the highway was paid off, yet the state extended them for at least another ten years.

Quote:
As I mentioned in my post above, the State Transportation Board agreed to take the tolls off as originally planned, but was lobbied by many in the community (including me) to extend them at least until the highway was finished. That meant at minimum finishing the 400/85 interchange, which had been only half built and is responsible for huge delays from Buckhead to Midtown. That is underway now and is predicted to come in ahead of schedule and under budget.

In addition, SRTA has been able to use the tolls for a number of other GA 400 upgrades. All of which are on time and/or under budget.

See this link:GA 400 | Programs & Projects | State Road and Tollway Authority
I can see the merits of extending the tolls. The problem is that there was a clear promise not to. They should have forced a vote from the Georgia legislature if that were to happen.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:10 PM

3,567 posts, read 2,316,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
The Georgia 400 tolls were supposed to end once the highway was paid off, yet the state extended them for at least another ten years.
What arjay57 was saying is that the highway was NOT paid off. The i85 reverse interchanges are a very basic part of the route that the highway should have that had not been funded yet. It was stupid that they were not constructed in the first place.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:16 PM

906 posts, read 1,442,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
I got news for you, the Tea Party isn't the only group in opposition to this unfair tax. So is the Sierra Club for goodness sakes.I am the absolute polar opposite to tea partiers. I am a far left, big gubmint commie and I oppose this unfair tax for endless unnecessary road building, funds mismanagement and redistribution of wealth from the poorest among us to the richest among us.
Yes, the Sierra Club at least pretended to put together an alternative proposal. But they have never explained a funding mechanism for all of the mass transit they want--or if they HAVE provided one, I never saw it.

This sort of "perfect is the enemy of the good" coming out of pro-transit liberals isn't cutting it for me, for two main reasons:

(1) As intimated above, I rarely hear an honest assessment of how much a new, extensive commuter rail line or metrowide expanded MARTA would cost AND how it would be paid for by the populace. My suspicion is that no one wants to go there b/c it would require a huge pile of tax increases.

(2) There's also little to no acknowledgement of the political realities of this state--namely, that Republicans and conservatives rule, and that they're really slow and bad at creating legislation. That's a potent mix of transit-blocking there, and any alternative proposal to the current T-SPLOST would need to address this political reality.

So, if there were a viable alternative to the T-SPLOST on the table at present, I'd be willing to vote it down. But there isn't. So I'm going to vote for this inadequate, somewhat sprawl-inducing thing b/c I like many of the transit, sidewalk, and road improvement projects.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:21 PM

906 posts, read 1,442,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
When does it end though? At what point will politicians start using the revenue they have wisely?
When voters vote them out of office, or enough of them call their representatives and say that they need to start doing their jobs.

As long as people keep voting in the same individuals, they won't feel pressure to make decisions that are in the best interests of their constituents. They take advantage of the electorate's laziness and disengagement with the political process.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:06 AM

22,186 posts, read 16,201,271 times
Quote:
So, if there were a viable alternative to the T-SPLOST on the table at present, I'd be willing to vote it down. But there isn't. So I'm going to vote for this inadequate, somewhat sprawl-inducing thing b/c I like many of the transit, sidewalk, and road improvement projects
No one has proposed any alternatives. There is no guarantee that we will get to propose another list.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:27 AM

7,844 posts, read 14,531,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
No one has proposed any alternatives. There is no guarantee that we will get to propose another list.
That's not true. There have been alternatives discussed and proposed, and the CID leaders and those with a vested interest in this plan have shot them down out of hand.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:54 AM

22,186 posts, read 16,201,271 times
Quote:
That's not true. There have been alternatives discussed and proposed, and the CID leaders and those with a vested interest in this plan have shot them down out of hand.
Please present the alternatives you have heard of on here. Because from what I have read there is no list or other source of funding. I know that the individual CID's have plans and funding sources, but it will take decades.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:26 PM

4,951 posts, read 4,002,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Such as what? Different projects, or an entirely different program?

Old 07-09-2012, 05:47 PM

28,154 posts, read 24,704,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
No one has proposed any alternatives.
How do we know that?

Granted, I've never seen any other proposals but that doesn't mean there isn't something out there.

I do agree that it will be a cold day before there's another shot at a transportation bill. Many will remember that it took most of the 2000s for the legislature to get around to passing the present bill, and then another year and a half of planning and town halls to come up with the current list.

If this fails to pass, there will no political appetite whatsoever to try again. It will fall into the category of raising the gas tax -- i.e., ain't gonna happen.

That's especially true if the referendum passes in other areas (like Foryth County, Savannah, or Columbus) but not in Atlanta.

Even if something did come back around 8 or 10 years down the road, what are the chances we'd be more agreeable then, or that we could hammer out a better list? We'll just be another decade behind and be wondering why we didn't get started 10 years ago.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or