U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 01:15 AM

3,966 posts, read 4,558,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Kid View Post
Georgia needs a little connection too
so Why not Unite the whole state
Connecting all of the various major cities could help Georgia's economy as-well
Id rather Georgia than just Atlanta
i knew the damned catchphrase was stupid! it looks like "unite atlanta" and no one knows what the hell it's talking about. misunderstanding their idiotic marketing campaign isn't limited to dyslexics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 01:31 AM

13,123 posts, read 15,922,889 times
There is very little discussion / promotion of the upcoming T-Splost in the Savannah region, which is a shame because the project list is a solid one and I believe has much better chance of passage here than in Atlanta -- IF people knew anything about it!

IMO the AJC has done a poor job of promoting the referendum, possibly because of their new conservative poltical leanings. They don't do endorsements anymore. The Gainesville Times, on the other hand, has done an excellent series of how the tax would positively impact the counties in its region. I see this thing passing in some rural areas but failing miserably in the metro.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:40 AM

the AJC is no longer an atlanta paper, it's a suburban paper. very little of what they report is directed towards people that live in town. read creative loafing and compare the stories if you want to see what i'm talking about.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:52 AM

13,123 posts, read 15,922,889 times
I am well aware of the changes at the AJC, having once worked there.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I am well aware of the changes at the AJC, having once worked there.
oh cool. my dad worked there as a copy carrier in the 70s, so i don't have any inside info since they've gone rogue. care to share your scoop?

Old 07-06-2012, 04:31 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,115,736 times
Yeah, but you can't really blame the AJC for its decision now, can you?

The whole newspaper industry is suffering. The 21st century has brought in so many advances like laptops, internet, blackberries, iPhones, iPads...technology that distract folks from paying attention to traditional methods of dispensing information like television, magazines, and newspaper.

Typically, the people that would mostly use this technology is the younger generations like X, Y, and the millennials. So now the newspapers are forced to seek out audiences who more likely to use their products, who are usually older, own property, more conservative...and most importantly? White! The AJC even moreso than other newspapers have to seek out this audience to stay above water, because they have a much smaller customer base to work with unlike NYTimes or a USAToday.

But going forward in the spirit of your message, it is a shame though, that the AJC has forsaken the tradition of Henry W. Grady as the promoter of all things progressive and forward-thinking. Also, I haven't seen any influential power-brokers in Atlanta as of late making a major effort to push this transportation referendum. It seems that they would rather get drunk and play strip-golf at the Piedmont Driving Club.

And to me, that's a tragedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
There is very little discussion / promotion of the upcoming T-Splost in the Savannah region, which is a shame because the project list is a solid one and I believe has much better chance of passage here than in Atlanta -- IF people knew anything about it!

IMO the AJC has done a poor job of promoting the referendum, possibly because of their new conservative poltical leanings. They don't do endorsements anymore. The Gainesville Times, on the other hand, has done an excellent series of how the tax would positively impact the counties in its region. I see this thing passing in some rural areas but failing miserably in the metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or