U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 05:08 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,553,693 times

Advertisements

let's back off of the controversial stuff— this forum has gotten a lot angrier recently and there's nothing better to bring people together than food. what are your favourite places to eat— off the grid, no big chains or anything, local restaurants that make you come back for more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 05:24 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Raging burrito and The Pullman.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:32 AM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Alfredo's...great old school Italian. Its like taking a trip back to 1968.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:03 AM

7,687 posts, read 9,527,345 times
Top Spice and Penang! I grew up with Chinese food, and Thai has gained in popularity....but these are the only places I know of that serve Malaysian, which to me is more flavorful than Chinese and more accessible to western palattes than Thai. I think Malaysian food is going to be the next big thing in ethnic cuisine. At least I hope it is because I like it so much!

Also, I like to go to:

Atkins Park
Park Cafe
Lucianos
Provinos
Thai Diner (in Discover Mills, decent food, but an awesome coconut soup)

I don't know if I would call these places "off the grid" but they aren't national chains. At least I don't think, I have no idea who runs Thai Diner, it could be a wholly owned subsidiary of P.F. Changs for all I know. I think Penang exists in a few other major metros, I'm not sure where it is based.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Provinos
The one in Chattanooga is better, but still good Italian.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:34 AM

2,676 posts, read 5,071,217 times
Malaya does Malaysian food, the type of place that gets a lot of locals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Top Spice and Penang! I grew up with Chinese food, and Thai has gained in popularity....but these are the only places I know of that serve Malaysian, which to me is more flavorful than Chinese and more accessible to western palattes than Thai. I think Malaysian food is going to be the next big thing in ethnic cuisine. At least I hope it is because I like it so much!

Also, I like to go to:

Atkins Park
Park Cafe
Lucianos
Provinos
Thai Diner (in Discover Mills, decent food, but an awesome coconut soup)

I don't know if I would call these places "off the grid" but they aren't national chains. At least I don't think, I have no idea who runs Thai Diner, it could be a wholly owned subsidiary of P.F. Changs for all I know. I think Penang exists in a few other major metros, I'm not sure where it is based.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:36 AM

2,676 posts, read 5,071,217 times
Ranging burrito is my favorite patio when the weather is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Raging burrito and The Pullman.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:07 AM

284 posts, read 455,867 times
The Porter- if there's a pasta/noodles/ramen item in their specials, you can't go wrong. Their beerlist outfancies even my beloved Brickstore in Decatur, but the bartenders are generous with their samples & recommendations.

Wrecking Bar- great brunches, good beer brewed on premises, to die for beer-flavored creme brulees. Must have the chocolate stout version.

Nakato- excellent sushi/sashimi. my favorite in the city bar none. develop a relationship and forget the menu. For izakaya-style small plates and chu-hi cocktails, Shoya is the closest you'll get to the places in midtown manhattan or Tokyo. Love their all you can eat crablegs nights. Sushi Huku for lunch is always a pleasure.

H Harper Station- love their cocktails and love their brunch.

The Highlander- despite several menu changes over the years, this is as close as it gets to comfort food for my friends. The specials are usually a cut above what you normally see in bars but not gastropub ridiculous. Not family friendly...which is a + for me.

Highland Tap- best martinis, great steaks, good uncomplicated food when you are in the mood for that.

Manuel's- love their burgers & dogs & a true Atlanta treasure.

Bone Garden- excellent authentic small plates and nice tequila/mezcal selection in a fantastic Day of the Dead decorated space. For real mexican hot chocolate, check out No Mas in Castleberry.

Bistro Niko- better and more beautiful than the still missed Pied au Cochon. French fare.

The Beautiful- a real southern breakfast, old school. then head to Busy Bee for lunch. do not think about your waistline.

Contigo Peru- excellent ceviche/seafood

Christo's, Marietta- a mainstay for huge grinders, excellent gyro, and now "fancier" items like lamb chops and mussels in their new space off Powers Ferry.

Still in mourning over Cottage Ethiopian's demise (are they going to relocate somewhere?)...but Desta and Enat cafe are good alternates.

The EARL's "dunch" is also good comfort food. love their salmon and burger.

Douceur de France- gorgeous little pastries, stunning cakes, and decent, cheap french fare.

Alon's- another mainstay for sweets.

Holeman & Finch- while it gets too crowded, an early visit finds you with great cocktails and excellent charcuterie.

Leon's- another great cocktail spot, great space, excellent food.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Ranging burrito is my favorite patio when the weather is good.
Its not bad now, if you catch a seat in the corner with the trees.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:03 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,741,609 times
I don't eat out much, but when I do, these are my favorites:

Antico for pizza - Antico Pizza - Pizza Tradizionale di Napoli - The Crossroads

Watershed for fried chicken - Watershed on Peachtree

Cafe Sunflower for vegetarian - Cafe Sunflower

Farm Burger for burgers - Farm Burger - Home

L'Thai for organic Thai - Organic Thai Food Restaurant Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or