U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:15 AM

270 posts, read 480,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
^I also took it as an unreimbursed business expense for the remainder not paid by my employer. Was an awesome $18k/yr deduction while it lasted.
MBA: The Mother of All Tax Deductions? - BusinessWeek

Once again an MBA's value is determined by how you leverage it. Putting it behind your name in your email signature, business card, and everywhere else doesn't add value and only makes you look pretentious since an MBA is not a professional designation. Using the Business school's career center, leveraging contacts, and building a network there does add value. If you can turn a U of Memphis MBA into a CEO of a F500, the MBA isn't what got you there. For the rest of us, the recruiters that come to campus, the alumni network, and your peers in the program are what help you. In my time doing an MBA, I was able to help one former coworker get a job at GE and another a job w/ my current firm.

If the school doesn't provide a well defined and supported post-graduation path, then there's little value to it. I tell classmates in the program behind me that they need to have a well thought out post-MBA plan. Very few companies hand you a fat raise/promotion just b/c you got an MBA these days (unless they paid for the MBA and then they probably have a clawback).

Why You Should Leave 'M.B.A.' Off Your Card - WSJ.com
Great post! I wish I took my grades serious enough to get into an online MBA school that would have a great network of people in Louisiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 12:47 PM

909 posts, read 3,383,801 times
With grad school being so expensive these days, you really need to do a great analysis of whether it's worth it to go into this debt. Do you need an MBA to advance in your career? Does your industry value it? You also need to be realistic about what kinds of jobs you will get.

I was a career changer into corporate finance (from IT) and had to get my MBA in Finance to get my current job. I landed a full scholarship at Georgia State so decided to go there. Looking at how big student loans are these days, I'm glad I didn't attend a school at full tuition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or