U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 08:28 AM

727 posts, read 1,037,219 times

Advertisements

Megabus really is changing long distance bus travel. Infact megabus is changing intercity travel in the u.s. period. Many more middle class people are using megabus. At last nights MMPT meeting one of the speakers said that they expect intercity express bus services to grow explosively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 08:32 AM

22,177 posts, read 16,180,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
Megabus really is changing long distance bus travel. Infact megabus is changing intercity travel in the u.s. period. Many more middle class people are using megabus. At last nights MMPT meeting one of the speakers said that they expect intercity express bus services to grow explosively.
Not to get off subject, but how did the project rendering look?

Old 07-12-2012, 08:39 AM

28,146 posts, read 24,679,387 times
Quote:
China = HSR
US = Megabus

Old 07-12-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
China = HSR
US = Megabus
Megabus is no replacement for HSR. China also has express bus services.

P.S. Megabus started in the UK, which has HSR.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:59 AM

7,797 posts, read 11,738,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Just created a thread DOT Releases MMPT Designs

Old 07-12-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Pretty cool.

They pretty much dumped the Green Line idea which I was happy about. They said that the public wanted something big and noticable, as they put it "Something you could put on a post card" All of the designs had a great hall with the trains underneath and the buses rapping around the hall. All of the disgns incorporated streetcars and put a heavy emphasis on bike access and walkability. All had a short connection to Five Points MARTA station.

So we don't get off topic and face the wrath of Greg, I am going to start a new thread with pictures from last night.

Edit: never mind, just saw warnxmas' post.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:49 AM

19,129 posts, read 10,723,602 times
It's a southern thing!

Old 07-12-2012, 10:52 AM

971 posts, read 1,467,045 times
Megabus is kool. I catch it from NYC to DC/BMore/Philly all the time. I even experimented with one of the other express chains with the route from NYC to ATL. You gotta have a high tolerance for that though...

Old 07-12-2012, 03:05 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,589,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Megabus is kool. I catch it from NYC to DC/BMore/Philly all the time. I even experimented with one of the other express chains with the route from NYC to ATL. You gotta have a high tolerance for that though...
Tell me about it. I've taken Chinatown buses from NYC-ATL and it is an "experience." Still though, it's a step above Greyhound. I've never been around so many down-on-their-luck people than when I traveled on Greyhound my one(and hopefully only) time. Greyhound takes a ludicrously long time due to layovers and they make you get off at EVERY stop even if you are staying on the same bus so there's no way you can get a decent amount of sleep on one. Service is rude as hell and it's cheaper to fly. The only reason I took it to begin with is because I needed to make a last minute trip to DC and I didn't feel like driving.

Quote:
I'm gonna try Megabus one day. I've heard good things about it. The buses look nice and WiFi would be pretty sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
OK, think about this: riding the greyhound bus long distance between cities was something some middle-class people did until airline ticket prices dropped significantly after Degregulation (late 1970s-80s) or so.

Now people associate long distance bus riding with poorer people, but this was not the case about 40-50 years ago. I am not old enough to remember the "old" days for this bus issue, but some others here could back me up on that, maybe. The bus prices are cheaper than plane tickets and most people who cannot afford a plane ticket will use other means to get where they need to.

The same thing can be said about public transportation, bus or not.

Automobile usage was not really widespread among the middle class until about the 1960s or so as people fled out to suburbs which were largely built around the convenient interstates.

Metro Atlanta was built up around the automobile, it would be hard to retrofit most suburbs with the current infrastructure now with affective transportation that a decent number of people would use. The job centers are now largely in suburbs, no longer in downtown Atlanta.

Based on what that person wrote in the article and some of the comments posted there: the same thing can be said about other means of public transportation, bus or not.

If people can afford another means of transportation, they would most likely not rely on buses. It doesn't matter what race they are. People want convenience unless gas gets really costly and by the time action is taken to improve public transportation, it can take many, many years to realize a big project.

Personally, I have ridden buses in different cities over the years, but I have to admit riding MARTA buses was awful for me on several occasions. The buses ran late and were very uncomfortable in the hot summer. They are notorious for not running on time. The subway is fine, but the MARTA buses, no. Buses elsewhere were OK from what I recall, but not here in Atlanta. The buses to the counties not in MARTA look comfortable to me, but I never lived close enough to one to take advantage to go to downtown. I knew several coworkers who used the regional buses from places like Canton and Buford and they tend to like riding them. Only time it was an issue is if they had an emergency and could not get home in the middle of the day.
I agree to an extent but I differ with you on people choosing transit based solely on affordability. I have a car but a lot of times I take the bus or metro into DC because it's more convenient and I don't mind walking or biking the gaps to my destination. I don't have to worry about traffic or finding parking.

I agree that the MARTA bus riding experience is just not all that pleasant compared to other places. They tend to be infrequent and are ofter very early/late. I've also gotten into it with a driver before because of his attitude. In my opinion, it deserves its reputation.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:05 PM

4,318 posts, read 4,839,991 times
The stigma that only low income people ride busss is wrong. I lived in Atlanta for 20 years (until last Saturday), and I made good money in Atlanta. The last salary I made in Atlanta was 80k, and I would have rode the bus even if I made 100k. I can agree the transit system does blow pretty much, but it's perfect if you live ITP. If you're in Buckhead, Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Dunwoody, downtown, West end, and some other places, the buses are great. The problem is when you go OTP. That's when bus rides become unbearable. I would say the only time I considered getting a car is when I lived in Buckhead and worked in Norcross. The commute was just too much, too draining, and too tiring. Like I literally felt like I already had worked before I got to work.

I do like how Seattle isn't as hung up on their bus. Like everybody rides it, and I think a big reason why people avoid the buses in Atlanta is because the terrible stereotype that only poor people ride them. I see people coming out of big expensive houses and hoping buses in Seattle. Very big cultural change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta