Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:58 AM
ss9 ss9 started this thread

3 posts, read 4,946 times

Advertisements

If you were a 29 single female with no car and a job in Downtown ATL, where would you move:

Inman Park, Peachtree Hills, Lindbergh or Midtown?

The closest to a MARTA station the better and of course since I'll be by myself, I want a safe, friendly place.

I'll be moving pretty soon, and I'm really really nervous, I don't know what to expect from ATL.
Hope you can help me, I'd really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 11:43 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Midtown, if you got the income. Its the easiest place in Atlanta to live car-free. Downtown is another choice you didn't list. Lindbergh is on a rail line, somewhat walkable, but Midtown is the easiest. There are several condos and new apartment buildings going up. It is expensive though. Midtown is the center of Atlanta's club scene.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:46 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,467 times
I'd also consider Perimeter, if you don't mind a commute (via MARTA). A bit safer than midtown after dark, and within walking/bicycling distance of a mall and other shops.

Midtown definitely has more going on, though.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:37 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,348,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I'd also consider Perimeter, if you don't mind a commute (via MARTA). A bit safer than midtown after dark, and within walking/bicycling distance of a mall and other shops.

Midtown definitely has more going on, though.
Which stop are you referring to? I don't see a ton of residential adjacent to Dunwoody or Sandy Springs from Google Maps. I recall looking at apartments near Perimeter and the Amli at Perimeter Place is among the closest at 3/4 of a mile walk. Sandy Springs has Peachtree Dunwoody Place but that's another stop north plus it's still 0.3 mile walk. I live that far from Midtown station and it's about as far as I'm willing to walk to Marta every day before driving starts looking more appealing.

I also don't recall them as being much cheaper than living inside the perimeter. That's a bit of a hike to get to and from the station. My client is at Lindbergh while my corporate office is at Peachtree Center. I can get from Lindbergh to downtown in 15 min via train and rarely is the wait more than 5 min. Lindbergh has apartments that pretty much overlook the station which you pretty much won't find anywhere else. Not too sure about the rents but I do dislike the lack of food options within walking distance. The major advantage of being Lindbergh or further south is you get twice as many trains on the N/S route vs. going to Buckhead or further up.

Definitely think Midtown is ideal if it's in your budget. Don't think safety is much different if you live along the higher traffic areas. Being on foot late at night in a deserted place is dangerous anywhere.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:03 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
Which stop are you referring to? I don't see a ton of residential adjacent to Dunwoody or Sandy Springs from Google Maps. I recall looking at apartments near Perimeter and the Amli at Perimeter Place is among the closest at 3/4 of a mile walk. Sandy Springs has Peachtree Dunwoody Place but that's another stop north plus it's still 0.3 mile walk. I live that far from Midtown station and it's about as far as I'm willing to walk to Marta every day before driving starts looking more appealing.

I also don't recall them as being much cheaper than living inside the perimeter. That's a bit of a hike to get to and from the station. My client is at Lindbergh while my corporate office is at Peachtree Center. I can get from Lindbergh to downtown in 15 min via train and rarely is the wait more than 5 min. Lindbergh has apartments that pretty much overlook the station which you pretty much won't find anywhere else. Not too sure about the rents but I do dislike the lack of food options within walking distance. The major advantage of being Lindbergh or further south is you get twice as many trains on the N/S route vs. going to Buckhead or further up.

Definitely think Midtown is ideal if it's in your budget. Don't think safety is much different if you live along the higher traffic areas. Being on foot late at night in a deserted place is dangerous anywhere.
I agree and disagree with some of your points. a 3/4 mile walk to a MARTA station is pretty close, in my opinion. Walking, that is ~10 minutes. Bicycling is what, 4 minutes (unless you are going uphill). It would be tough to get much closer than that and not have to deal with MARTA bus traffic on your doorstep.

Lindbergh is not midtown, but there are dining options with a 10 minute walk of the tation. Taco Mac, Chili's whatever phatburger became (smashburger I think?) and the small shops along Sydney Marcus.

I'll disagree about midtown being as safe as other areas OTP, deserted or not. Midtown is definitely much closer to some sketchier areas of town.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:14 PM

100 posts, read 142,576 times
Where are you moving from? If its any major city then Midtown is the only part of town that has that kind of vibe (walkable, Marta, lots of nightlife and people your age) I would definitely choose it over the other options you gave.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:50 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,348,885 times
I've lived in Midtown for 4yrs now and currently work at Lindbergh or Peachtree Center and commute via Marta most days when I'm not on the road. You can only eat 5 Guys, Tin Drum, Chili's, Taco Mac et al so many times before you really wish the food trucks came up this way. It's pretty sparse compared to Midtown or even downtown and my team usually winds up driving out (they're mostly vegetarian).

The Midtown station is right in the most lively part of Midtown and there are people out at all hours but just as I wouldn't expect my g/f to walk to the Midtown Marta station by herself at 5am, I don't think it's advisable to cover a mile alone during weird hrs by yourself even if it is Dunwoody. If in doubt, take a cab...it's a few bucks. I went to the GT evening MBA program so I walked home at night 2-3 nights a wk for 3yrs on nights when nobody's out (sometimes after midnight) and never had more than a hobo yell some racist stuff at me. The sketchy part of town is definitely south of Ponce and if you live north of 10th St, you see very little of it. It's always a matter of being situationally aware but crime happens anywhere. My old roommate got on tv when his neighbor was killed in a robbery in his condo building on the southern edge of Dunwoody. It's rare but it can happen.

To me to go carless w/ least hassle, you have to be Lindbergh or further south. Twice the trains, fewer stops to get to major jobs centers, airport, and greater density making walking a bit easier. I definitely think Perimeter is a nice area...just think distance on the train plus walking increases the commute dramatically.

Ex:
Lindbergh -> Peachtree Center = 10 min ride | train every 8 min
Dunwoody -> Peachtree Center = 21 min ride | train every 15 min

Averaged out, you have a ~29 min ride from Dunwoody vs. a ~14 min ride from Lindbergh. Round trip and you're adding half an hr to your daily commute if both apts are equal distance. Obviously safety trumps convenience but I personally don't think you're materially safer at Dunwoody than Midtown/Lindbergh/Buckhead/etc if at weird hours.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Obviously safety trumps convenience but I personally don't think you're materially safer at Dunwoody than Midtown/Lindbergh/Buckhead/etc if at weird hours.
Dunwoody is full of apartments and is not as safe as everyone thinks. At least in Midtown APD is out, I never seen Dunwoody PD anywhere. Midtown is more likely to have people walking around late night, while Dunwoody is more likely to shut down at 10pm and have very little people walking at night.
I live in Dunwoody my first year in Atlanta and have since move to City of Atlanta. Dunwoody is pretty boring, typical suburb/edge city.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:08 PM
ss9 ss9 started this thread

3 posts, read 4,946 times
Thanks for your answers.
I'll be moving from Mexico City so I'm kind of used to live in a "not so safe city", for me walking for 10 mins to any place is not that much, I'm planning on getting a bike once I get there so I could go to the market and do my groceries without needing a car.

I can afford living in Midtown so that's not a problem, and since my job is near Peachtree Center, that sounds like a great idea.

I think that besides safety and MARTA, my concern was also about moving to a clean, nice looking place.

Thank you again

Old 07-10-2012, 03:11 PM

Coming from Mexico City, you'll be fine. We have nothing like that crime here. Midtown has a major grocery story situated 1 block from the Midtown station. Midtown is clean and very modern. A lot of new towers have been built there in the past 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta