Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2007, 12:15 PM

5 posts, read 7,991 times

Advertisements

Here is my dilemma. My company is in Suwanee. Right now I work from home where we live. We have visited three times and my wife wants to live in Alpharetta/Johns Creek. I like the area but I did the commute in Traffic once and it took atleast 20 minutes to Johns Creek and 40 minutes to the North Point area in Alpharetta. Don't know if that was a good day for traffic or a bad day given those times.

I have no problem with Suwanee. She wants that area because of the schools, we are Jewish so it is close to the temples. She prefers to get into the city from 400 as opposed to 85. She likes to shop and likes the Northpoint area for shopping in the burbs the best. And she likes Fulton County better.

She initially wanted the Crabapple/horse country area of Alpharetta because of the larger lots and country feel. It didn't feel like sprawl to us either. That was my first choice too but I was able to zap her into reality by saying that commute was unbearable and no way. So she compromised to East of 400.

Should I just give in to her or will the commute really be that bad??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 02:07 PM

1,499 posts, read 5,078,891 times
What part of Suwanee are you commuting to? Johns Creek is literally right across the river from Suwanee, depending on where you live. The area right across the river in Fulton is also in the Northview district, one of the best schools in the state. My wife commutes the opposite way every day, from Suwanee to Alpharetta, and it's not too bad - about 45 minutes. The South Forsyth part of Suwanee (not in the city limits, but still in the 30024 zip code) may also be an option - the taxes are lower than Fulton, the schools are good, and it is easy access to 400 from GA 20. Is your wife going to be commuting into Atlanta everyday? If so, both 400 and I85 are horrible. BTW, the traffic around the Northpoint area is also a nightmare - personally I would not choose that as a place to live. Has your wife been to the Mall of GA area to check out the shopping there? Suwanee is very convenient to that area.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:44 PM

5 posts, read 7,991 times
My job will be on Satellite Blvd. NE. My wife does not work. She would only go into the city to do things with the kids or to shop in Buckhead (whish she wouldn't). This will probably be during off peak hours.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:49 PM

273 posts, read 1,751,605 times
The Mall of GA is very nice. And honestly, you can hop on I-85 and get to other shopping very quickly (outlet malls in Commerce to the north, or Perimeter Mall to the south, then on to Buckhead shops). I understand she PREFERS taking GA400, but your commute would be an everyday thing.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:07 PM

1,499 posts, read 5,078,891 times
Suwanee is a nice area, and if she wants to drive over to Northpoint for occasional shopping, it's really not that far.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:33 AM

582 posts, read 2,004,763 times
If you want to be closer to the Jewish community and your job try John's Creek itself or look in the nicer areas of Duluth. I have done that commute and it isn't too bad. Especially from Duluth, but you will really need to make sure that it's a nicer area you're going to. The only other thing I could suggest, based on your price range, would be Dunwoody. Your wife could take side streets into Atlanta and you would be against traffic going up 85 in the mornings... and even though there's a little traffic going south in the afternoons it really isn't bad. There are a lot of synagogue choices for you if you live in Dunwoody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta