Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 05:04 PM

3 posts, read 4,452 times

Advertisements

I live in the Historic Westend and as a resident, I can tell you the LAST thing we need is another park. The area needs redevelopment that changes the whole area, not another park. People will go once to see the place, but after your car gets broken into, you won't return. When you don't return, the homeless move in, along with the drug dealers and prostitutes. Why? Because the AREA has not changed. Right across the street are abandoned homes, homeless people, beggars, drug dealers along with prostitues. Soon, Mims Park will suffer the same fate the Atlanta FanPlex near Turner Field suffered. The $3M investment was closed after 2 short years and has become just another abandoned building in Summerhill.
You have to change the whole area. A park doesn't do that. The last 2 parks haven't done that. You can purchase a home in Vine City for less than $20k. Your insurance rate will exceed your mortgage because of multiple break-ins. Until you change the area with new business and new residential areas that change all of the surrounding communities, you can keep your park. The drug dealers, prostitutes and homeless will thank you, but the rest of us are tired of the city giving them another reason to hang around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 08:48 PM

906 posts, read 1,746,263 times
I understand your argument for the need for business development, but I don't think parks and development are mutually exclusive. On the contrary, quite often a park done well can entice further development and residential density nearby.

If this park proposal were displacing prime area for business or residences, that would be a concern. But so much of the area is already near deserted or in major need of aesthetic improvements. I only see this as an improvement for the neighborhood (again, IF done well).

Old 10-08-2012, 12:32 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Not to be silly, but this reminds me of the argument about guns. It's not parks that create crime, but the people who use them.

The thing is, if you don't built parks when you have the opportunity, it's very hard to do so after an area has been developed. There's not much land left, and the price is sky high.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:29 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
This park will attract people and raise property values as well as offer flood control of the area, which is a persistent problem.
As for parks spurring redevelopment see the area around Historic Fourth Ward Park.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:00 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
Looks good. Hopefully, this can increase urbanity on the westside of downtown.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:09 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,020,143 times
Nice

Old 10-08-2012, 07:25 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,125 times
We should be sure to place some art projects here that should be easily stolen and vandalized. In all seriousness, this is a great project. It should provide the crackheads and hookers a nicer place to congregate.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:40 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
We should be sure to place some art projects here that should be easily stolen and vandalized. In all seriousness, this is a great project. It should provide the crackheads and hookers a nicer place to congregate.
i really am unable to determine your opinion on this issue.

honestly, i think it's a fantastic idea— anyone who spends as much time looking at maps as me should see those three blocks of vacant land just sitting there, and wonder why they've just sat there for so long. they would create a wonderful park space, and should increase investment and development around the area. honestly, anything that can be done for this neighbourhood would help. english avenue is one of the most crime-ridden neighbourhoods in the united states, vine city, although still an economically depressed community, looks like heaven compared to it.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:11 PM

3 posts, read 4,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
I understand your argument for the need for business development, but I don't think parks and development are mutually exclusive. On the contrary, quite often a park done well can entice further development and residential density nearby.

If this park proposal were displacing prime area for business or residences, that would be a concern. But so much of the area is already near deserted or in major need of aesthetic improvements. I only see this as an improvement for the neighborhood (again, IF done well).
What you all are failing to realize is the park by itself will not bring the needed change. The park will not attract new businesses other than a new flock of crime victims. There will not be a new Starbucks or any new coffee shop for the same reason no one is purchasing homes in the area: The crime rate is ridiculously high. There will not be the kind of redevelopment the 4th Ward has seen because there is no real commercial investment in Vine City. It took over a decade for the 4th Ward to become what it is today. Freedom Parkway and the Carter Center anchored much of that change. This park is not the catalyst for change.

The city gets a free park AFTER they pay off the last failed attempt to revitalize the area. For less than half the cost of the park, you can purchase ALL of Vine City! All the property in Vine City, minus the schools and churches, has a total value of less than half of the $55M this park will cost.

If I didn't live in the area, I would think the same way you all might be thinking. But the reality I see is very, very different from what change be made with a park.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:14 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Is there any way to convince the people who are committing crimes in this area to just stop doing it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta