U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2012, 12:15 PM

5,243 posts, read 4,619,291 times

Advertisements

After spending a couple years in beautiful Houston,TX, I recently moved back to the Far Southside. Since then, I have taken a few trips over to the Senoia and its Main Street. This place is fantastic! What was once a main street I hardly knew existed, now this place is vibrant, beautiful, and generally a good time.

I believe there are 3 bars, one a downstairs bar a la Cheers, another run by Zach Brown that has live music and a tattoo parlor in the back. At least one good restaurant, Founders. Think there are a couple of others I haven't tried. I believe I saw a Chocolate shop, maybe I was seeing things.

There is also the buggy museum - OH YEAH-, the Southern Living Idea house, and the active filming of the Walking Dead.

Incredibly impressive turnaround for Senoia. There is more unique stuff to do on this one street than in most suburbs in the metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 03:09 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,876,517 times
ABSOLUTELY! Senoia is amazing and the story behind that transformation is a fascinating one. There was always a good stock of old historic buildings and houses there that were somewhat forgotten about because the two main highways through town (Ga 85 and Ga 16) bypasses it altogether. When TV and movie companies started scouting around for authentic small town locations and stumbled upon Senoia, city fathers saw an opportunity for revitalization. Collaborating with nearby Raleigh Studios Atlanta Riverwood (located for years on the edge of town), they've managed to turn Historic Downtown Senoia into a living, breathing authentic "backlot" where people live, work and play while movies and TV shows are being made. It's a little self-contained piece of Hollywood magic -- complete with its own "stars in the sidewalks" hall of fame -- totally off the beaten path in far south Coweta County, yet only 10 minutes or so from the heart of Peachtree City where most of the cast and crews actually eat and sleep while working. As Senoia's profile grows, I can see they little town becoming a huge tourist draw. It is already well on its way!

Old 07-14-2012, 10:20 PM

7,275 posts, read 10,025,149 times
I finally visited the main street about 12 years ago even though I grew up in the area. What a wonderful surprise... almost shock to find such a great little downtown. I have been thru Senoia numerous times in my life, but was either on 16 or 34 and never went thru the center.

Newsboy, what is the local pronunciation? I have heard some put the A on the end so that it almost rhymes with "Sequoyah", but I have heard more drop the final A so that it almost rhymes with "annoy" -- Sennoy.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:47 PM

29,247 posts, read 26,183,299 times
That's a perfect example of my point about our suburbs and small towns becoming increasingly sophisticated.

I haven't been to Senoia in several years but need to get down there. Love the Zach Brown band.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:36 AM

13,420 posts, read 16,876,517 times
Zach Brown actually lives in Fayetteville, where he has taken over management of the city amphitheater / outdoor concert venue downtown. He is also building a retreat / camp for kids with disabilities in Fayetteville.

There's lots of neat people and things in South Metro Atlanta.

OH! And St. Marks, I'm pretty sure the locals say it "SUH-NOY".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or