U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 02:19 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,199,259 times

Advertisements

It's pretty much inevitable that Beijing that will outpace Atlanta pretty soon.

They're already not too far behind with 74 million passengers to Hartsfield's 92 million. However, they grew at 16% in 2009 and 13% in 2010, while Hartsfield grew at less than 1% and about 3.5%, respectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 03:28 PM

6,458 posts, read 5,911,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
The worlds largest airport will be the busiest for years to come
Not to harp on the technicalities, but Atlanta is not the world's largest; busiest, definitely. It will inevitably be taken over by Beijing. I suspect it will become #2 within 5-10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
There used to be a direct flight to Moscow? Didn't the Prague and Athens flights get cut as well? I thought Aeromexico was already serving Atlanta, even though its code-shared with Delta.
Aeromexico started service already, yeah. And there used to be an ATL-SVO route way back in the day. Delta is really picky, and not always so rational when it comes to adding and subtracting routes, especially seasonally fluctuating ones.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:51 PM

264 posts, read 466,739 times
Quote:
The worlds largest airport will be the busiest for years to come
The world's largest airport is Riyad -
What Is The World

Old 07-19-2012, 04:41 PM

3,957 posts, read 3,257,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
I've heard Egypt/Lebanon/Isreal were all stunning - my point was merely there are more people willing to fly direct out of Newark and JFK (NYC) to visit those regions than out of Atlanta. Hence the reason for the transfer (i.e. non direct flight).
Okay good point, their is definetely a huge Jewish population in NYC area.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
The world's largest airport is Riyad -
What Is The World
I think he meant to say world busiest instead of largest.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:48 PM

However I wonder what Southwest will do now, surely thier reporting of 228 million net profit this quarter is partly due to Air Tran Atlanta hub and other routes still service by the airline. I would love to see Southwest at least get to 300 daily flight from Atlanta.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
In general, the trans-Atlantic market is saturated and cutting back. We've also lost Accra, Moscow, and a few others. Delta has also removed some routes out of JFK. We just can't have that many direct routes to European cities that are somewhat close together. I'd rather see more European airlines start serving ATL, which will give us the ability to connect to vastly more cities.

On the plus side, we've added Port-au-Prince and Havana recently as destinations. Aeromexico will being serving Atlanta soon, and Qatar will start serving ATL in 2013 sometime.

Most of our international traffic is layovers. Delta has such an absurdly large domestic network that it can offer pretty convenient layovers to people even in small cities to go to major markets worldwide. Miami, for example, has tons more connections with Latin America, but has mediocre service to many smaller cities in the US. Domestic is far more important than international in terms of overall passenger numbers (but has less economic impact per passenger).

Beijing will eventually overtake us, but the latest cuts aren't really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. Our overall performance in 2012 is actually pretty robust. You can see year-to-date data here:

http://www.atlanta-airport.com/docs/Traffic/201205.pdf

Domestic traffic up 5%, international down 1% year to date. Total is up 4.7% over 2011 YTD, which is very solid growth.
Great points do you think Qatar will still start the new service. Some say it was just a ploy to start before Emirates do. I could possible see Transero starting nonstop to Moscow. with Atlanta's large Korean population, I could possible see Asiana the other South Korean airlines started new service to compete with Korean Air to Atlanta. However it will be heard because airlines seems to only want to fly to their Global partners key hub airports only.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:15 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,406,793 times
I love living near the largest airport in the world

Old 07-19-2012, 05:21 PM

20,899 posts, read 22,699,201 times
Quote:
Using it is the hard part. I was there last week waiting for a transfer at Delta and the gate changed to three different concourses in under 90 minutes.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:55 PM

6,458 posts, read 5,911,464 times
Quote:
You live in Saudi Arabia? How is the weather there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or