Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 06:50 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

How about a little patience for this town? It's well on its way to fulfilling its destiny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 06:53 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
You are so anti-City of Atlanta. No tourist ever comes to Atlanta to visit Cobb or Gwinnett counties, most of the tourist stuff is concentrated.
I strongly disagree. There's plenty to see and do in Cobb -- the Energy Center is home to the Atlanta Opera and the Atlanta Ballet, and has a constant stream of great stars coming through. Cobb has fantastic amusement parks like Six Flags and White Water. There are tons of important historical sites in Cobb -- Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park draws over a million visitors a year. (For comparison, the King Center draws around 600,000 a year).

Gwinnett's got an amazing peformring arts center. It's got the Braves, the Force and the Gladiators. Plenty of cool downtowns for strolling, antiquing or hanging out.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:04 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
You are so anti-City of Atlanta. No tourist ever comes to Atlanta to visit Cobb or Gwinnett counties, most of the tourist stuff is concentrated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Agreed, but you probably get the occaisional war buff who wants to visit Kennesaw Mountain. That's about it, though, unless there are tourists stupid enough to have an interest in the big chicken.
how about historic downtown roswell, which is older than atlanta and has significant civl war history? historic downtown marietta and norcross? stone mountain? the countless nature trails and outdoor activities we have? i think if people knew more about these sorts of things they would certainly go to those places.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:09 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
[quote=kittyjo;25255460]I don't think it will ever be considered an international city. Most people outside of the US haven't heard of it. But really, an international city needs a cohesive, highly populated city center that is walkable for tourists with access to history, wide ranging attractions, high-end retail etc. Downtown Atlanta will never be that.
Put it this way, if you got hold of a bunch of travel bucket lists from around the world, very few of them would list 'Eat some Arby's at the CNN center' along with 'Climb the Eiffel tower'......[/

Great point

Old 07-20-2012, 08:22 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
[quote=Atlwarrior;25266282]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyjo View Post
I don't think it will ever be considered an international city. Most people outside of the US haven't heard of it. But really, an international city needs a cohesive, highly populated city center that is walkable for tourists with access to history, wide ranging attractions, high-end retail etc. Downtown Atlanta will never be that.
Put it this way, if you got hold of a bunch of travel bucket lists from around the world, very few of them would list 'Eat some Arby's at the CNN center' along with 'Climb the Eiffel tower'......[/

Great point
Great point? Really? I found it absolutely absurd.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:44 PM

364 posts, read 418,335 times
How does spirituality quantify into a city being top-tier internationally?

Old 07-20-2012, 08:57 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
according to the wikipedia article on global cities:
Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Atlanta ranks as an "Alpha-" global city. The other categories are "Alpha++", "Alpha+", "Alpha", "Beta+", "Beta", "Beta-", "Gamma+", "Gamma" and "Gamma-"

On the "Global Cities Index" we are #39.

On the "Global City Competitiveness Index" we are #31.
I've spent some time examining that "Global City" rating. I think it's worthless as places make wild swings in rankings over a very short period of time. They have to work on it some more. If I recall, a lot of it is normalized using London and New York as the epitome of cities.

Quote:
Atlanta also has 25 embassies. On an international scale, we're pretty big, but we're not Chicago, Washington, New York, Los Angeles big.
No, capitals have embassies. Other cities have consulates.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
how about historic downtown roswell, which is older than atlanta and has significant civl war history? historic downtown marietta and norcross? stone mountain? the countless nature trails and outdoor activities we have? i think if people knew more about these sorts of things they would certainly go to those places.
Well...I think Europeans would double over in laughter if we held these up as our historic icons. And Stone Mountain is more of a natural wonder. Atlanta doesn't particularly standout in the world for its nature trails and outdoor activities.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Agreed, but you probably get the occaisional war buff who wants to visit Kennesaw Mountain. That's about it, though, unless there are tourists stupid enough to have an interest in the big chicken.
Hey...the Big Chicken is our Eiffel Tower.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:15 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Well...I think Europeans would double over in laughter if we held these up as our historic icons. And Stone Mountain is more of a natural wonder. Atlanta doesn't particularly standout in the world for its nature trails and outdoor activities.
i think the europeans laugh at pretty much any historical site in america seeing as how our country is so young, it's a moot point. roswell has some pretty impressive history if you're not aware.

bulloch hall was where teddy roosevelt's mother grew up.

mimosa hall was the home of john dunwody (with one o) who dunwoody was named after, in the civil war roswell was a huge manufacturing centre for confederate uniforms, sherman invaded the city and shipped out women and children to the north who were never heard from again. parts of the mill built in the 1800s are still there and can be visited. in addition, roswell is home to some of the oldest townhomes in the united states. if you want to easily dismiss the history found in roswell and around the atlanta area, fine, but don't try to go and claim there are much more historic places in the US— besides the area between williamsburg va and boston ma where the largest colonial settlements were, history doesn't go too far back in the united states. i think we have a fair share of history and to dismiss it only to prove your point is childish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta