U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:16 AM

7,652 posts, read 9,283,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
Sure thing - There's no denying that. I could definitely live cheaper in say, Kennesaw than Midtown, but it just wouldn't fit my lifestyle. Nothing wrong with kennesaw at all, I just prefer an urban walkable environment. I spent a small while living in London and it definitely spoiled me to the car-free lifestyle.
Agreed

Quote:
Neil, how long ago did you move from NYC? Also, what was your deciding factor for choosing the area that you live now?
I actually moved from NYC to Atlanta (the first time) in 1982, and went to college here and stayed until 1992. Got married and moved to Massachusetts in 1992 until the whole family came back to Atlanta with me in 2007.

When I lived here in the 1980s, my sister and brother-in-law had moved to Atlanta in 1979 and were living in Dunwoody, which at that time was the HQ for NY refugees in Atlanta. I lived there for almost a year, until my parents decided to come to Atlanta as well, and I lived with them in Stn Mtn until I graduated, then I moved to Gwinnett and spent a few years in the Norcross and Duluth areas. My sister built a new house in Norcross, which at that time was the sticks, and I got an apartment off Satellite Blvd which was all new. I got to watch the entire Gwinnett Place area get built from nothing.

This time around, it was all about a balance between a nice home and good schools, in a convenient area. My daughters also had some sports that they participated in and Marietta was a good area for them. My wife liked the area and being near Kennesaw Mtn gave us hiking trails right down the street. West Cobb had what we wanted at a reasonable price. We originally wanted East Cobb, and could have lived there, but decided the premium wasn't worth it to us, plus it's harder to get in and out of the area. Here we have multiple ways to get to I-75 and I-285.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 08:38 AM
bu2

1,086 posts, read 421,309 times
Quote:
Quality > Quantity
The problem is you have to do a lot of work to keep the roof from caving in, remove the mold, get the doors and windows to close properly.....

Old 07-24-2012, 08:45 AM
bu2

1,086 posts, read 421,309 times
There was an interesting True/False in the AJC on the 18th about this "young people want to ride transit" story that keeps getting repeated. Someone said that ridership was up 40% from 2001 to 2009 among 18-34 year olds. The fact is, mileage was up 40%. Riders were only up 4%. And that was comparing a healthy economy to the depths of the recession with high gas prices. And that didn't even compare the population. I couldn't find an 18-34 figure for the census, but I did see 18-24 was up 13% from 2000 to 2010. 18-44 was up only .6%. There is a baby boomlet after the bust.

So with the prime age for users going up 13%, its quite possible 18-34 year olds are using transit less than they were, despite the bad economy and despite the high gas prices. Its just that the ones using it are traveling further.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:17 AM

875 posts, read 428,547 times
Quote:
Quality > Quantity
You are right, I forgot to mention the homes closer to town are generally older and poorly maintained as well.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:36 AM
fzx

106 posts, read 81,103 times
The problem of this comparison is on absolute bases, how much each area is growing. A 100% increase on a small base, say 10 people, wont catchup with a 2% growth of a city with a population of 500,000.

I do not know the exact bases of neither Exurb nor Atlanta. But judging by report, out of 300MM people in the States, only 8% live in Exburb. I will assume the majority lives in surbs and cities.

In addition, what is the definition of EXurb? By Merriam-Webster, exurb refers to a region or settlement that lies outside a city and usually beyond its suburbs and that often is inhabited chiefly by well-to-do families. If that is the case, do we count Johns Creek as suburb or exurb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I know there's been a lot of buzz in the past decade about people moving to cities, but in many cases the fastest growth has taken place in the exurbs. That's been true despite the housing slowdown.

ATLANTA-SANDY SPRINGS-MARIETTA
Annual % Chg in Population

Exurban Areas
2000-2010: 5.4% | 30th
2000-2007: 6.6% | 23rd
2007-2010: 2.8% | 60th

Metro Area
2000-2010: 2.2% | 14th
2000-2007: 3.0% | 9th
2007-2010: 0.2% | 80th

In the city of Atlanta proper population increased only 0.8%.

More on the trend here:

Exurbs, the Fastest Growing Areas in the U.S. - Neighborhoods - The Atlantic Cities

Charts and Graphs | MetroTrends

Old 07-24-2012, 09:43 AM

175 posts, read 187,560 times
Like one of the first few posters said, what makes me sad is when people WANT to keep Atlanta as the no mans land. I think both cities, suburbs, and exurbs are crucial. Suburbs and Exurbs take the demand off of the city. Imagine NYC without its suburbs. NYC would be deplorable. So with its suburbs, it gives people choices and relieves the demand from the main city.

What I detest about atlanta is the sprawl to your hearts content demeanor. No commuter trains or anything. Streets are set up where you HAVE to take that main avenue and no other detour. If you live in Duluth, good luck to ya, because Buford Hwy or I-85 is your only logical route.

I'm an urban person to the core, however one day I wanna settle down and have a couple kids. The suburbs offer a better life for that. However I want neighborhoods with sidewalks and things to do still close by with commuter trains to the city so I dont have to sit in the parking lot called I-75. When my children grow up, I want them to be confident that they dont have to look for a job thats down the street, they can find a job anywhere in the metro because it's that easy to get around.

SN: One poster said suburbs and exurbs are becoming more sophisticated. HA HA HA. Trust me that might be so for the old inner ring suburbs like Decatur, however you need a certain population and employment base and cultural things to call yourself sophisticated. Trust me exurbs are not that.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:49 AM

13,802 posts, read 8,182,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyurban View Post
I'm an urban person to the core, however one day I wanna settle down and have a couple kids. The suburbs offer a better life for that. However I want neighborhoods with sidewalks and things to do still close by with commuter trains to the city so I dont have to sit in the parking lot called I-75. When my children grow up, I want them to be confident that they dont have to look for a job thats down the street, they can find a job anywhere in the metro because it's that easy to get around.
When you get ready to settle down, don't overlook the fact that most of the city of Atlanta is composed of suburban single family neighborhoods. Many of them are thriving and beautiful, and the schools, shopping and other amenities are outstanding. Plus you get the benefits of an extensive rail system, and easy access to the airport, all the freeways and most arterial roads.

So you can have the best of both worlds if you're interested.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyurban View Post
What I detest about atlanta is the sprawl to your hearts content demeanor. No commuter trains or anything. Streets are set up where you HAVE to take that main avenue and no other detour. If you live in Duluth, good luck to ya, because Buford Hwy or I-85 is your only logical route.
And what you seem to miss is the fact that the Atlanta metro is not NYC. In many cities like NYC, the suburbs are bedroom communities; the city is the main business center and where most people need to commute. Here in Atlanta, that's not the case. Major difference in that fact.

Here in Atlanta, many people live and work in the suburbs. The business centers are located outside of the city, in places like Peachtree Corners, Alpharetta, Cumberland, etc. To use your example, if I live in Duluth, I may commute to Alpharetta and do so on Rte 120. I might never go near I-85 or Buford Hwy.

In NYC and other similar cities, to get to the business centers, I have to take the subway or commuter rail into the center of the city. While there are businesses on Long Island and New Jersey, many people in the NYC area work in the city and commute to Manhattan.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:58 AM

13,802 posts, read 8,182,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
the only guys I see riding bikes downtown go by the names, Ray Ray, Skippy, Bingo, and Loc Dog.....and they aren't riding those high-end jobs....no, more like a rusted out skip bike made by Murray recently "acquired" off someone's porch.....that spandex, armstrong-wannabe-prostrate swelling crowd is reserved for weekends where they can really tie up traffic......

Arjay, ya gotta admit, his comment was a hoot.....everyone is looking for a rundown shack in the highlands, grant park, pee park, some park, whatever park where they can spend their life savings refurbing a house built in 1920 with a crumbling foundation.....

Drop a blade on them and start over....
Caleb, I truly don't understand the regular drumbeat of city bashing in this forum. A whole lot of us who live in the city have a great quality of life and it has been a good choice for us and our families. My house is from the 20s and yeah, it has taken a lot of work over the years. However, I like doing that -- it sort of makes it "mine" and now that we've fixed it up it's as good as any place else. We have plenty of room for kids and dogs, great schools, virtually zero crime, and great access to the airport, the freeways, MARTA, shopping and the whole shebang.

Why do we so often get bashed as if we're living in some awful, crime-infested jungle that only a lunatic would choose to live in? We have more joggers, cyclists and folks out walking than you can count. As Herman Cain would say, "We are not stupid."

Old 07-24-2012, 11:06 AM

Arjay57, I want to reiterate again, none of my comments is intended to "bash" anyone or anyone's choice of where they want to live. My comments that Caleb is referring to were made tongue in cheek and were said in jest as a parody of the presumptions made by some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta