Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 09:42 AM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

I know there's been a lot of buzz in the past decade about people moving to cities, but in many cases the fastest growth has taken place in the exurbs. That's been true despite the housing slowdown.

ATLANTA-SANDY SPRINGS-MARIETTA
Annual % Chg in Population

Exurban Areas
2000-2010: 5.4% | 30th
2000-2007: 6.6% | 23rd
2007-2010: 2.8% | 60th

Metro Area
2000-2010: 2.2% | 14th
2000-2007: 3.0% | 9th
2007-2010: 0.2% | 80th

In the city of Atlanta proper population increased only 0.8%.

More on the trend here:

Exurbs, the Fastest Growing Areas in the U.S. - Neighborhoods - The Atlantic Cities

Charts and Graphs | MetroTrends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 10:29 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Arjay...please stop confusing everyone with these facts. We all know that everyone is moving back to the urban areas to live in a small dwelling and ride transit or bicycle to work. We've been told that on this forum, so it must be true.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Arjay...please stop confusing everyone with these facts. We all know that everyone is moving back to the urban areas to live in a small dwelling and ride transit or bicycle to work. We've been told that on this forum, so it must be true.

I think it's a complex picture, Neil. Clearly, there are areas in central cities that have seen a lot of growth. That's remarkable, because many have been in decline for decades.

So sure, there's a positive vibe there and folks who prefer that style of living are rightfully excited.

But there has also been tremendous growth and change in our suburbs, both the older "inner ring" ones as well as those further out. As I posted the other day, if you want true diversity, the suburbs are where it's at.

That's also why I started the thread about suburbia becoming increasingly sophisticated. American cities have changed radically, and it's no longer possible to think of them in terms of the old stereotypes.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

I think it's a complex picture, Neil. Clearly, there are areas in central cities that have seen a lot of growth. That's remarkable, because many have been in decline for decades.
I know. I shouldn't give in to that little demon on my left shoulder who loves to get these kinds of digs in. The whole fact that it is complex and not a simple black and white picture is the point being made, in contrast to the crowd who proclaims that everyone wants to live in the city.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:36 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
I just got the summer Duluth newsletter.

If you go to page 3 and read the letter from the mayor, you will see that as you have stated, suburbs are on to what people are looking for and trying to provide it: http://d27vj430nutdmd.cloudfront.net...4/118934.1.pdf

Duluth knows what to do and is trying to do it. A valid question is, will it be successful? A city can desire all it wants, but it takes private investment. I'd have a great deal of trepidation on investing in my own downtown, I'm just not convinced there is enough money to be made. But at least they are trying and I assume other burbs are as well. Some will be successful, others not.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:02 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
I know. I shouldn't give in to that little demon on my left shoulder who loves to get these kinds of digs in. The whole fact that it is complex and not a simple black and white picture is the point being made, in contrast to the crowd who proclaims that everyone wants to live in the city.
Now why did you have to go and make it a racial issue, Neil??

Old 07-23-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Heh. I truly don't get the conflict between suburbanites and city dwellers. In my opinion both sides could be a little less thin-skinned. If you're happy where you are, why worry about what somebody else thinks?

The differences are often minor anyway, and in the future I suspect they won't be there at all.

Can't we all just along?

Old 07-23-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Now why did you have to go and make it a racial issue, Neil??
LOL

On a serious note though, I'm trying to figure out how these data jibe with the mantra that people want to live closer to the urban areas and that the suburbs (and presumably the ex-urbs) are dying.

I'm also trying to figure out how these data fit with the view that so-called "sprawl" is all a problem caused by a lack of transit where the evil Republicans are all plotting to burn fossil fuels and kill puppies, and that Atlanta is a key offender. Look at where the largest ex-urban growth is on that map....Charlotte, SF, Dallas, Houston.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
On a serious note though, I'm trying to figure out how these data jibe with the mantra that people want to live closer to the urban areas and that the suburbs (and presumably the ex-urbs) are dying.
It fits right in there with the mantra that cities are crime ridden no-mans lands where no one other than some liberal hippie would want to live.

Quote:
I'm also trying to figure out how these data fit with the view that so-called "sprawl" is all a problem caused by a lack of transit where the evil Republicans are all plotting to burn fossil fuels and kill puppies, and that Atlanta is a key offender.
I truly don't see the value in framing the discussion in Republican v. Democrat terms. Many of the backers of the TSPLOST, for instance, are heavy hitter Republicans. A lot of its most vocal opponents are die hard Democrats.

There's no reason whatsoever for conflict between city dwellers, suburbanites or exurbanites. They all have an important stake in the human settlement and transportation is one of those areas where a rising tide truly does raise all boats.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:56 PM

749 posts, read 886,973 times
As an intown urban dweller, what bothers me are the people that do not want to see the city grow. Atlanta is the economic engine of the Atlanta region....this should be pretty obvious, but that's not always the case.

Yes, there are job centers out in the burbs, but neither the suburbs or the exurbs would exist without the city of Atlanta. A perfect example would be this video below. Skip to about 1:20 to hear a man seriously ask why it's even neccesary that the Atlanta region has to grow.

http://youtu.be/NjprIL3Ro6M

It's understandable that some people prefer to be further out from the city, while others prefer to be in the center, but it's foolish for anyone in the region to not put Atlanta first. I couldn't imagine the greater Chicagoland area's suburbs or exurbs coming before the needs of the city. Why should Atlanta be any different? The suburbs of Atlanta will benefit from a strong central core, just as the City of Atlanta will benefit from an affluent working population and family-oriented ammenities outside of the city. And before anyone tries to paint me as a city dwelling liberal tree hugger that never leaves the perimiter; I was raised in Cherokee County.

I know this is such a cliche but, can't we all just get along?

Last edited by UrbanConquistador; 07-23-2012 at 06:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta