U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-28-2012, 10:23 AM

5,208 posts, read 2,933,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebowskee View Post
Of course, Atlanta has a historical presence. However, from a national perspective, much of Atlanta's history seems to be insignificant. It just doesn't have the same depth as the histories of NY, Chicago, Boston, etc. Also, compared to colorful places like New Orleans or San Francisco, Atlanta's history is somewhat bland.

Wasn't Atlanta mostly just a sleepy little town throughout the early 20th century? What was happening in Atlanta from 1900-1955?

While we're on the topic, I would like to know just what is Southern Culture? Where can it be found in the city of Atlanta?
well ill take a wild guess. Southern cultue to me is like people who go to church all the time, or people who still have an issue with gays, sundays are dead, because of the church influence. Always using an automobile even if transit Can get you ther & back with ease, subjective comments about manners vs rudeness. Southern people can be very pushing when things don't go their way. For example, not giving up your seat for a non handicap non pregnant woman on the train is considered rude to southern folks. The thing I do like about southern people is most are willing to help you if you need it, most are not flashy, no need to show off, easy to coversate with. You can strike up a convo with most southern people as long as you don't offend them in the process. Well as most northern/urban people won't even be bothered with you. Atlant is in a transitional period, where the youth is so loud, they are starting to influences the older people that have been here. I don't see the reason to jump all over some because they don't know Atlantas history. Not only is it in books, but is also online all the history Atlanta has since its Terminus-Marthaville days. Who doesn't know who Jefferson Davis & Stonewall Jackson is? This stuff is easy. People here really are sensitive & very southern & this thread proves that. You can smell the insecurity. Take a look its in a book a reading rainbow.....
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 10:40 AM

14,607 posts, read 9,206,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebowskee View Post
What was happening in Atlanta from 1900-1955?
Not a dang thing. The city was more populous then than it is now, but most of us just sat around on the veranda sipping mint juleps.

We had some stuff like railroads and train stations, banks, universities, newspapers, an airport, labor riots, race riots, race tracks, nightclubs, radio and TV stations, streetcars, downtown skyscrapers, big manufacturing plants, streetcars, neighborhoods, a new dam, the downtown connector, sensational murder trials, concerts, fairs, Prohibition, bootleggers, poor houses, hospitals, politics, fancy clubs, a bunch of streets and roads, schools, sport teams, big shots living in mansions, department stores, hotels, parks, etc., etc., but it was just your usual civic fare.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:48 PM

887 posts, read 1,178,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Not a dang thing. The city was more populous then than it is now, but most of us just sat around on the veranda sipping mint juleps.

We had some stuff like railroads and train stations, banks, universities, newspapers, an airport, labor riots, race riots, race tracks, nightclubs, radio and TV stations, streetcars, downtown skyscrapers, big manufacturing plants, streetcars, neighborhoods, a new dam, the downtown connector, sensational murder trials, concerts, fairs, Prohibition, bootleggers, poor houses, hospitals, politics, fancy clubs, a bunch of streets and roads, schools, sport teams, big shots living in mansions, department stores, hotels, parks, etc., etc., but it was just your usual civic fare.
Seriously arjay, his tone tells me he's not really looking for an answer. In his mind he's already got it. Forget the fact that Atlanta pre-Civil War was already a transportation hub for the southeast and more industrial than other Southern cities because of its central location in the South. Never mind it's considered the birthplace for the Civil Rights Movement (which in turn affected movements that empowered the women's, Chicano, and other civil rights movements in the late 20th century) and boasted as having the richest Black neighborhood in the country in the mid 20th century.

For sure, our history isn't as rich as larger Northern cities, but you can say that about most American cities! History 101 informs us that European settlers inhabited the northeast on a wider basis first then spread out. But to say it lacks history because of that is ludicrous.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:19 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,988,569 times
There really is no homegrown culture here. It's just a bunch of stuff from other cities thrown in a pot and stirred. It's why the sports teams here have such pathetic support, most of the people here have roots to other places and root for other teams. You see more Cowboys and Saints fans here than Falcons fans. The only way people go to Hawks games are if another big name team shows. I can't really think of any food Atlanta is known for like when I think of DC I think mambo sauce. When I think NYC and Chicago I think pizza. When I think Pittsburgh I think Primanti Bros Sandwiches. Philly, the cheesesteak...etc.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:36 AM

550 posts, read 410,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Southern cultue to me is like people who go to church all the time, or people who still have an issue with gays, sundays are dead, because of the church influence. Always using an automobile even if transit Can get you ther & back with ease,

Seriously? You don't think it is common in the mid-west, north, or west to go to church or use cars. Hahah. Have you been to Iowa before? There is a whole lot of country out there besides NYC and LA man. Likewise, do you think the south is the only place where gay marriage isn't the law (yet)?

Be careful not to confuse "suburban" with "southern", or even "conservative" with "southern".

LOL.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:26 PM

4,771 posts, read 5,154,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
There really is no homegrown culture here. It's just a bunch of stuff from other cities thrown in a pot and stirred. It's why the sports teams here have such pathetic support, most of the people here have roots to other places and root for other teams. You see more Cowboys and Saints fans here than Falcons fans. The only way people go to Hawks games are if another big name team shows. I can't really think of any food Atlanta is known for like when I think of DC I think mambo sauce. When I think NYC and Chicago I think pizza. When I think Pittsburgh I think Primanti Bros Sandwiches. Philly, the cheesesteak...etc.
This lack of excitement for the pro-teams is one of the reasons Atlanta is still VERY southern. College football still rules, High School ball just as beloved. This is a check on the side of the ledger that proves Atlanta's southern nature is still alive and well.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:28 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,038,842 times
Sundays are dead in suburbs of NYC too. Hudson County, New Jersey (Paramus etc) have county laws where the only places that are open on Sundays are your drugstores. No grocery stores. No malls open. No car dealerships. It's definitely not limited to southern or the "church influence". It's a quality of life thing (so they argue). People there routinely vote to keep it that way because they want the day to spend with their families/loved ones and not have horrendous traffic etc.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:50 PM

14,607 posts, read 9,206,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Seriously arjay, his tone tells me he's not really looking for an answer. In his mind he's already got it. Forget the fact that Atlanta pre-Civil War was already a transportation hub for the southeast and more industrial than other Southern cities because of its central location in the South. Never mind it's considered the birthplace for the Civil Rights Movement (which in turn affected movements that empowered the women's, Chicano, and other civil rights movements in the late 20th century) and boasted as having the richest Black neighborhood in the country in the mid 20th century.
There were zillions of things going on here long before the civil rights movement got started, too. Banking, railroads, manufacturing, universities, grand department stores, parks, theatres, elegant neighborhoods, roads and bridges, major businesses, radio and TV stations and many of the other institutions and the built environment that exists today.

Here's a typical downtown scene in 1944. The transit system was already overwhelmed and businesses were being urged to implement staggered working hours.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:59 PM

5,208 posts, read 2,933,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
Seriously? You don't think it is common in the mid-west, north, or west to go to church or use cars. Hahah. Have you been to Iowa before? There is a whole lot of country out there besides NYC and LA man. Likewise, do you think the south is the only place where gay marriage isn't the law (yet)?

Be careful not to confuse "suburban" with "southern", or even "conservative" with "southern".

LOL.
lol I don't know if you read everything but we actually agree.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:50 PM

282 posts, read 153,388 times
Atlanta feels like a big city and this big city happens to be in the south("History" reflects this). What you may be trying ask "Is Atlanta country?" I do not think so, it is just as progressive any other city this size. If i was blindfolded and taken to the starbucks near 7th in midtown and had no clue where I was at, I could easily assume I was in Philly, Seattle or any other city(based of the people alone, not density or cityscape) or if ended up in the halo lounge on a good night I think could reasonably assume I was in DC, SF or lowkey lounge in Manhattan.
I think the people in Atlanta espouse a big city culture just like every other metro.There may be neighnorhoods and food spots that give Atlanta a distinct southern flavor, but that is about it for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta