Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 07:55 PM

113 posts, read 343,211 times

Advertisements

My husband is thinking about gettng a job transfer up to College Park, GA and we have been looking at homes online in Newnan. It sounds like a nice family area but after trying to find out the crime rate there, I saw it was safer than 14% of cities in the United States. Is that true?? Or is that website wrong? Is there a better website to look up crime in Georgia? Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 08:45 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMommy07 View Post
My husband is thinking about gettng a job transfer up to College Park, GA and we have been looking at homes online in Newnan. It sounds like a nice family area but after trying to find out the crime rate there, I saw it was safer than 14% of cities in the United States. Is that true?? Or is that website wrong? Is there a better website to look up crime in Georgia? Thanks for any info!
Is "safer than 14 percent" good or bad? I'm confused.

Newnan is a historic old mill town with several neighborhoods that have National Landmark Historic status, as well as a beautiful and lively downtown courthouse square. It also has several rather rundown public housing projects, as most Southern towns do, and that's where most of the crime is going to be centered. The greater Newnan area (Coweta County at large) is a mix of rural and suburban in nature, with a growing middle class population of about 125,000. I don't think crime there is any more a problem than other fringe Atlanta suburbs, and certainly better than much of Florida.

If you're really concerned about crime, check out Peachtree City and Fayette County just to the east of Newnan-Coweta. Crime there is significantly lower, though not nonexistent. There have been some pretty high profile incidents there of late, but I consider them the exception rather than the rule.

If you have kids. Fayette County most definitely has better schools.

The difference in commute from either place to College Park is negligible.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:50 AM

113 posts, read 343,211 times
That's kind of bad. Where in Fayette County would you recommend? I know of PeachTree City, that's like our FishHawk or Lakewood Ranch neighborhoods here in Florida. We can't really afford there though. What about Fayetteville? What is it like there? And yes, we have two kids. (ages 5 & 2). As for what we want , a nice neighborhood, great schools, shopping close by, and a nice sized backyard. Also, how are taxes up there? Is there an income tax? How are the property taxes? Thanks!

Old 07-26-2012, 05:42 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,819 times
Newnan is one of the last places I'd be concerned about crime.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:42 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
From your other thread about Woodstock, it sounds as it Coweta County (Newnan) would be a good fit for you. Coming from another state and having young children, I really don't think you're husband should get bogged down in a long commute (no matter the hours). 40 miles is a long way to drive one-way everyday when he could live in Coweta and be there in 20 minutes.

Look for homes in Sharpsburg, Thomas Crossroad, Summergrove in eastern Coweta County (east of I-85). This area abuts Fayette County and Peachtree City (and all the shopping, restaurants and recreation PTC offers) but with FAR FAR more affordable housing costs. You can easily get twice the house for the same amount of money in Coweta vs. Fayette County.

True, Fayette does have better schools, but Coweta schools are not bad -- better than average for sure! And your crime fears are truly unfounded. Crime in that area is nothing to fear.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:11 AM

1 posts, read 8,461 times
Default Pinson Street

Hi
Is Pinson Street a good area to live in Newna? Thx

Old 06-28-2013, 01:16 AM

18 posts, read 36,417 times
Default Have you found a place to move yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMommy07 View Post
That's kind of bad. Where in Fayette County would you recommend? I know of PeachTree City, that's like our FishHawk or Lakewood Ranch neighborhoods here in Florida. We can't really afford there though. What about Fayetteville? What is it like there? And yes, we have two kids. (ages 5 & 2). As for what we want , a nice neighborhood, great schools, shopping close by, and a nice sized backyard. Also, how are taxes up there? Is there an income tax? How are the property taxes? Thanks!
I was just reading through the forum and wondered if you found a place to live yet? I moved here (to Newnan) in 2011 and love it. I actually like Peachtree City. I hated it at first too, but it grew on me. I am going to school to be a teacher, I have spent observation hours in Peachtree City schools and will tell you they are the best. Coweta isn't that bad either but I would recommend, Arbor springs, Brooks, Northside, or Thomas Crossroads. Let me know if you need any more help, we can exchange email addys or something and I would love to help. Kennesaw is a great area too. I also looked into moving there, didn't like the traffic though. Newnan has a great christian environment. There are plenty of churches. I haven't experience crime here. I came from ALBANY, GA. I used to lock my car doors and watch my back everywhere I went. Most the time when the kids and I leave the house, we leave our doors unlocked and I almost never lock my car door. I have never felt threatened, the police keep things in check pretty well.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:13 PM

83 posts, read 135,723 times
In the town of Newnan itself are lots of poor areas that my friends have said they stay away from because of crime. But basically the dozens of neighborhoods in "Newnan" (the Newnan area), not in the old town, are plenty safe, and the safe area extends around the whole of Coweta County. And yes, Fayette County is probably even safer, but it's more expensive, so....

Like someone above said, staying east of I-85 is a simple rule. Summergrove is a great neighborhood, so is Arbor Springs, the Thomas Crossroads area and the Northgate area where I grew up are great. And easy to commute to College Park from any of these.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:09 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetgirl1128 View Post
I was just reading through the forum and wondered if you found a place to live yet? I moved here (to Newnan) in 2011 and love it. I actually like Peachtree City. I hated it at first too, but it grew on me. I am going to school to be a teacher, I have spent observation hours in Peachtree City schools and will tell you they are the best. Coweta isn't that bad either but I would recommend, Arbor springs, Brooks, Northside, or Thomas Crossroads. Let me know if you need any more help, we can exchange email addys or something and I would love to help. Kennesaw is a great area too. I also looked into moving there, didn't like the traffic though. Newnan has a great christian environment. There are plenty of churches. I haven't experience crime here. I came from ALBANY, GA. I used to lock my car doors and watch my back everywhere I went. Most the time when the kids and I leave the house, we leave our doors unlocked and I almost never lock my car door. I have never felt threatened, the police keep things in check pretty well.
...Those are good comments, but please, as a safety precaution, ALWAYS LOCK YOUR DOORS!!!!!

That's because even if you live in what seems to be an extremely safe outer-suburban neighborhood with seemingly no crime, there is still always the threat of crime, particularly in a very-large metro area with a history of high-crime rates.

Even though the occurrence of crime is low in many outer-suburban communities, crime still happens in the outer-suburbs and it often happens when people least expect it (like when they've left the doors to their cars and houses unlocked because they thought that there was no crime where they live).

Whether you are in or away from your house and/or car, please ALWAYS LOCK YOUR DOORS!!!!!

Locking your house and car doors is the number-one most simplest thing that one can do to keep acts of crime from happening to them (up to a certain level).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta