U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 04:59 PM

4,714 posts, read 4,798,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
FLA MOMMY -- Newnan! Newnan! Newnan! Coweta! Coweta! Coweta! Honey, I'm from that area (all my family lives in Fayette County) and can assure you -- NEWNAN/COWETA has everything you are looking for: Affordable housing, low crime, good schools, great shopping (Newnan has an outdoor mall anchored by Dillard's). There are even major colleges nearby (University of West Georgia, Point University, Clayton State University @ Peachtree City, LaGrange College).

Cancer Treatment Centers of America just opened a brand new hospital in Newnan, and Piedmont Healthcare -- the best hospital provider in metro Atlanta -- is building a brand new hospital in Newnan from the ground up!

TRUST ME ON THIS: Coweta County is where you want and NEED to be! Woodstock is nice but simply too far, and Fayette County is terrific but out of your price range. No need to worry yourself anymore than necessary.

CONCENTRATE ON COWETA!
This^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 05:38 PM

8,617 posts, read 11,253,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMommy07 View Post
Well thank you for all the information, but now I don't know where to look. I didn't want to far of a drive for him considering he has to go in so early and drives all day, but I also want to have a nice safe area with good schools and shopping nearby. Are there any other areas to look into that has decent size houses/backyards for under 200,000? I know everyone recommends PeachTree City but we cant afford a home there plus the taxes, insurance and HOA fees. Do all subdivisions in Georgia have HOA fees like in Florida? Right now, we're paying a maintence, HOA and CDD fees. (We live in townhome, thats why we have a maintence fee.) So would Newnan and Fayetteville be a good match for us? And still possibly look into WoodStock? Is there anywhere north that is like WoodStock that is a little closer to College Park? Also, my husband is working on getting his Associate degree right now, he should be done with it by next Spring, so then he will need to work on his Bachelors and then Masters. Are there any good colleges or Universities nearby these areas for him to attend that does night or weekend classes? Thanks so much for the help, I appreciate it!

Considering the additional criteria, you should look at places in the following order:

1. Newnan/Coweta County
2. Tyrone
3. South Fayetteville
4. Peachtree City

Old 07-27-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
FLA MOMMY -- Newnan! Newnan! Newnan! Coweta! Coweta! Coweta! Honey, I'm from that area (all my family lives in Fayette County) and can assure you -- NEWNAN/COWETA has everything you are looking for: Affordable housing, low crime, good schools, great shopping (Newnan has an outdoor mall anchored by Dillard's). There are even major colleges nearby (University of West Georgia, Point University, Clayton State University @ Peachtree City, LaGrange College).

Cancer Treatment Centers of America just opened a brand new hospital in Newnan, and Piedmont Healthcare -- the best hospital provider in metro Atlanta -- is building a brand new hospital in Newnan from the ground up!

TRUST ME ON THIS: Coweta County is where you want and NEED to be! Woodstock is nice but simply too far, and Fayette County is terrific but out of your price range. No need to worry yourself anymore than necessary.

CONCENTRATE ON COWETA!

Exactly this.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:39 AM

218 posts, read 282,496 times
It's not a bad idea to consider renting for a year or so before you purchase in a new region. That might be the best way to figure out the deal with Woodstock if you are really deadset on living there.

Also, I don't know anything about how many kids you have etc, but your budget might open up a little for PC if you would consider a smaller house. I know some of those houses in Woodstock are huge but size isn't everything. Then again, I live in a tiny house with three kids so I can live close to work and to the part of ATL I love the best.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:12 AM

4,714 posts, read 4,798,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkMachine View Post
It's not a bad idea to consider renting for a year or so before you purchase in a new region. That might be the best way to figure out the deal with Woodstock if you are really deadset on living there.

Also, I don't know anything about how many kids you have etc, but your budget might open up a little for PC if you would consider a smaller house. I know some of those houses in Woodstock are huge but size isn't everything. Then again, I live in a tiny house with three kids so I can live close to work and to the part of ATL I love the best.
I still wouldn't write off PTC either, it is not a monolithic entity, there is quite a varied housing stock at differing price points. This community has been in development since the 60s, started taking off in the 70s so there will be some smaller older housing that is not terribly expensive.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:19 PM

736 posts, read 545,331 times
Woodstock is nice, safe, relatively inexpensive, and has good schools. Downtown Woodstock is really cute and has nice shops and restaurants. Areas like BridgeMill and Towne Lake are getting a bit overbuilt IMO -- if I'm going to live way outside the city I don't want to be on top of my neighbors -- but that's just my preference.

Honestly, I don't think the commute would be that bad if it's in the wee hours of the morning. I used to live in Ball Ground (about 20 miles north of Woodstock) and drove downtown every day, 50 miles each way, during rush hour. THAT was a nightmare, but a few times I made that drive at 4 a.m. due to work reasons, and it was smooooth sailing. On the weekends I could get to the airport in 40 minutes or less. Lack of rush hour traffic makes all the difference.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:14 AM

109 posts, read 134,584 times
Thanks for everyones advice! We are actually planning on taking a trip up there next weekend and staying for a couple of days. We are planning on checking out Woodstock, Alpharetta, and Newnan. Anywhere else we should check out? My husband will be working in College Park, but like I said, he will have to be at work at 4am. So he should be missing rush hour traffic. And honestly, 40 miles isnt that big of a deal to us, we are use to it. We just want a safe area, with great schools, shopping, and outdoor things to do. We are planning on renting first, so we don't have to rush into buying a house. We were hoping to rent a house or apartment (3 bedroom 2 bath) for under $1300, especially since we might still have to pay our mortgage until our house sells.

From what I have gathered on reviews and the forum:

Newnan will be closer to my husbands job. Its a nice area with shopping but the reviews on the elementary schools arent that great. Is there anything around Newnan to do on the weekends with the family?

Woodstock is 40 miles north of my husbands job, but has great schools, closer to the mountains and is a nice area. I think Alpharetta is the same?

I know PeachTree City is in the middle of nowhere, but has great schools and is expensive.

What about West of College Park? I have a friend here who is from Powder Springs, GA. She's the nicest person you will meet, and her parents still live there.

Any more advice would be appreciated, especially before our trip up there next weekend. We leave Friday night It's going to be a long 8 hrs with two kids!

Old 09-15-2012, 12:01 PM

3,004 posts, read 1,467,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMommy07 View Post
Thanks for everyones advice! We are actually planning on taking a trip up there next weekend and staying for a couple of days. We are planning on checking out Woodstock, Alpharetta, and Newnan. Anywhere else we should check out? My husband will be working in College Park, but like I said, he will have to be at work at 4am. So he should be missing rush hour traffic. And honestly, 40 miles isnt that big of a deal to us, we are use to it. We just want a safe area, with great schools, shopping, and outdoor things to do. We are planning on renting first, so we don't have to rush into buying a house. We were hoping to rent a house or apartment (3 bedroom 2 bath) for under $1300, especially since we might still have to pay our mortgage until our house sells.

From what I have gathered on reviews and the forum:

Newnan will be closer to my husbands job. Its a nice area with shopping but the reviews on the elementary schools arent that great. Is there anything around Newnan to do on the weekends with the family?

Woodstock is 40 miles north of my husbands job, but has great schools, closer to the mountains and is a nice area. I think Alpharetta is the same?

I know PeachTree City is in the middle of nowhere, but has great schools and is expensive.

What about West of College Park? I have a friend here who is from Powder Springs, GA. She's the nicest person you will meet, and her parents still live there.

Any more advice would be appreciated, especially before our trip up there next weekend. We leave Friday night It's going to be a long 8 hrs with two kids!
Peachtree City is no more in the middle of nowhere than Woodstock or Newnan!

I wouldn't locate 40 miles from where your husband works for a "good" school. You can find good schools anywhere, but you need to look somewhere besides on a website. Visit the school in a neighborhood you are thinking about living in - that is the only way to know if you like it for your child or not.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:36 AM

306 posts, read 193,055 times
No way in hell I'd commute that distance. Life is too short to spend hours per day sitting in a car, not to mention the cost of gas. Focus on the South burbs as mentioned or rent for a while...

Old 09-16-2012, 08:47 AM

Again--based on your criteria, you should focus on:

1. Newnan/Coweta County
2. Tyrone
3. South Fayetteville
4. Peachtree City

*The schools are good in all of the areas listed above. Never just depend on a website. Newnan/Coweta County has great schools.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta