Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:35 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,778,334 times

Advertisements

Here's the deal: I'm moving to Atlanta next week. I have the lease signed and apartment all set. There is one issue I don't know how to solve though. I am moving from NY with my car which is registered and insured under my dad's name. Same with the title. What are the Georgia laws for this sort of thing? Can I get away with just changing my license and leaving my NY plates on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 10:43 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,130,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
What are the Georgia laws for this sort of thing?
Same as most states. You have 30 days after establishing residency to get a GA driver's license and to insure and register the vehicle in GA.

Do people break that law? Sure, but it's the law and what you are required to do. Could you get away with leaving it registered in your dad's name, again...maybe. Your dad doesn't live with you and the vehicle will be located in Georgia at your permanent residence, so while I'm not a lawyer, I bet you'd still be breaking the law.

Here are the official statements from the State DDS, and Cobb County (where I live..same for all counties).

New to Georgia

Cobb County

Old 07-27-2012, 10:49 AM

Ok cool. I think it's a risk worth taking since I've never heard of anyone getting ticketed for such a lame offense.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Ok cool. I think it's a risk worth taking since I've never heard of anyone getting ticketed for such a lame offense.
It's not lame, and yes, people do get ticketed. Depends on the circumstances.

If you make the decision to break the law for your personal benefit, that's your decision, but the fact that it's inconvenient for you doesn't make the requirement lame. Actually, coming from NY, it would probably be cheaper to register and insure your car here in Georgia. You might want to check into it.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:54 AM

The bigger issue could be with your insurance, especially if you get into an accident. It's fraud to say the vehicle is located in one state and have it actually be in another. The premium and coverage is based on where the car is located most of the time. Again..I'm not a lawyer, but it's not inconceivable that if you had an accident, and the insurance company knows you're living in GA, that they could deny your claim if the insurance is obtained under false pretenses. You might want to check that out.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:54 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,672,451 times
I doubt, you will be able to register the car, if you aren't the primary on it.

Change your license first then see about getting the NY title in your name so you can change it to a GA title.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:20 AM

By lame I mean it's not like a serious offense like DUI or something like that. I'm just driving a NY car around. Fraud sounds pretty bad...I'll look into Zipcar lol.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:22 AM

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:07 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,341,667 times
Short term, you may be able to get your dad to buy some added coverage for the car in GA (check w/ insurer) if he continues to be the owner. He didn't move to the state so he doesn't need a GA tag but to be safe he'll probably need to let his agent know it'll be in GA for a bit. It will get more complex when the car needs an inspection to keep its tags current in NY. At that point, you either have to drive back up or transfer ownership + insurance to you. Then you definitely need the title to register it here.

My brother and I went to school in NY and kept GA tagged cars (under my dad's name) for several years w/o issue (my dad's birthday was conveniently in Aug so we'd get emissions before driving up). My friend even wrecked my brother's car picking him up from the airport in a blizzard and insurance covered it w/o issue. I got a NYS license when my GA one expired during a semester and the cop didn't make a peep about the tag/license mismatch when I got a warning up there. Down here, I kept the license a good bit longer since NYS doesn't transfer points. Got pulled over driving my SIL's car and told them I was a student and they let me off as well.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
Short term, you may be able to get your dad to buy some added coverage for the car in GA (check w/ insurer) if he continues to be the owner. He didn't move to the state so he doesn't need a GA tag but to be safe he'll probably need to let his agent know it'll be in GA for a bit. It will get more complex when the car needs an inspection to keep its tags current in NY. At that point, you either have to drive back up or transfer ownership + insurance to you. Then you definitely need the title to register it here.

My brother and I went to school in NY and kept GA tagged cars (under my dad's name) for several years w/o issue (my dad's birthday was conveniently in Aug so we'd get emissions before driving up). My friend even wrecked my brother's car picking him up from the airport in a blizzard and insurance covered it w/o issue. I got a NYS license when my GA one expired during a semester and the cop didn't make a peep about the tag/license mismatch when I got a warning up there. Down here, I kept the license a good bit longer since NYS doesn't transfer points. Got pulled over driving my SIL's car and told them I was a student and they let me off as well.
Awesome! If NY cops didn't mind you driving a car that was from out of state, I don't think GA cops are really gonna care. NY tends to be strict on a lot of stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta