Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 09:10 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,351,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

I've never understood the preference to number all street names in Florida on a compass grid: 142 SW 42nd Terrace SE! What the?! Confusing as heck!
You've got an extra part in there. There would only be the SW not the SE.

What's so confusing about it? Every street number up you go is another block outward from the city that you go. And SW, NW, NE and SE notates which direction from the city.

So using your example, 142 SW 42nd terrace would be 42 blocks south and 14 blocks west from the downtown and the 14th block of the intersecting road.

How do you know what intersects with what?
Easy.

There's acronyms to help you remember...
Court
Road
Avenue
Place

all run north/south

...Street
...Lane
boUlevard
...Terrace

all run east/west.

At least that's how it worked in myjammy.

So 142 SW 42nd terrace would align possibly with 14th avenue.

Another example, If it was instead 14207 NW 242nd st, that would be way far out to the northwest of the city, 242 blocks north from downtown and 142 blocks west.

If you asked me where Bougainvillea Rd is, I couldn't tell you. But I could tell you exactly where 151st street is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 03:13 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,811,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
You've got an extra part in there. There would only be the SW not the SE.

What's so confusing about it? Every street number up you go is another block outward from the city that you go. And SW, NW, NE and SE notates which direction from the city.

So using your example, 142 SW 42nd terrace would be 42 blocks south and 14 blocks west from the downtown and the 14th block of the intersecting road.

How do you know what intersects with what?
Easy.

There's acronyms to help you remember...
Court
Road
Avenue
Place

all run north/south

...Street
...Lane
boUlevard
...Terrace

all run east/west.

At least that's how it worked in myjammy.

So 142 SW 42nd terrace would align possibly with 14th avenue.

Another example, If it was instead 14207 NW 242nd st, that would be way far out to the northwest of the city, 242 blocks north from downtown and 142 blocks west.

If you asked me where Bougainvillea Rd is, I couldn't tell you. But I could tell you exactly where 151st street is.
LOL! Oh my gosh now I'm really confused!

But yeah I understand the premise, that's just too much math I gotta do in my head to get anywhere LOL!

Old 07-28-2012, 03:39 PM

67 posts, read 249,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan concerned mom View Post
I am from Utah where they have a Trax system. I have used it and love it. Gerogia sure could use something like this. Utah roads are so much better and easy to find your way around, but the mountains do help with orientation. I have never been so lost in my life as I was the other night in the Norcross area, all the roads have similar names. The people that named the roads have no imagination. Names don't really work very well anyway. A good grid system with numbers and directions. For example 1234 East 5432 South.
There is a lot to love about Georgia but the transportation system needs much improvement.
It would be great if Atlanta would start a system similar to TRAX, specifically the commuter rail network that Salt Lake City has.

Atlanta's whole pattern of development is different than Salt Lake City's. Brigham Young had an influential role in the design of Salt Lake City. The street numbering system there is based off of distance from the Mormon temple downtown. Therefore if you're on 4000 South and 900 East, you're 40 blocks south and 9 blocks east of the temple. I read that he also designed the streets with a width large enough where someone could turn a horse drawn carriage around without "resorting to profanity." Atlanta is a hilly city and our street network was just not designed in a grid. Once you have spent some time here, you will eventually learn where you're going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta