Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 03:20 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Since we've got an anti thread going, it seems like to be fair and balanced we should have one for support of the transportation referendum.

There was an excellent op ed in the Atlanta Business Chronicle yesterday by Jeffrey Bowman, president and CEO of Crawford & Co. Crawford & Co. is one of Atlanta's classic success stories, growing from its modest office on Ponce de Leon to become a global risk management powerhouse with 8,700 employees in over 70 countries. Bowman describes how excited he was when the company asked him to come to Atlanta from England 20 years ago:

Quote:
At that time, the metro area was deep into its development as the most important commercial, financial and transportation center of the Southeast. Businesses were flocking to the region. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport became the busiest in the world. And with the Olympics coming to town, Atlanta was making the transition to a city of international influence.

Metro Atlanta’s potential seemed endless to me and the millions of others who came here in the last two decades of the 20th century, when the population doubled and its growth outpaced most other areas in the U.S. Atlanta was the talk of the South and the country.

Of course, even then, traffic was part of the discussion. How many companies have said no to locating in the area because of our traffic problems? How much productivity have we lost thanks to traffic? How much time have we spent complaining about traffic?

In this delicate economic environment, the last thing Atlanta needs is a gridlocked transportation system that causes businesses to think twice about expanding or relocating here. The state is doing its part by investing $181 million in the Port of Savannah. The airport is doing its part with the upcoming opening of the Maynard H. Jackson Jr. International Terminal at Hartsfield-Jackson.

However, with gas tax revenue declining, it does not appear that traditional transportation funding will be enough to help. Seventy percent of the region’s funding over the next 30 years will be spent just maintaining the existing system. That doesn’t leave much money for new transit projects.

The one-cent sales tax will fill that funding gap. It is expected to provide an additional $8.5 billion for projects that will reduce congestion, create and support tens of thousands of jobs and increase incomes by $18 billion. The cost to each of us? An average of about $200 per person per year for 10 years (the maximum the tax would be collected), taking only the current metro Atlanta population into account. Congestion already costs us each $924 a year, according to the TTI, so our personal share of improvements would more than pay for themselves.

With those benefits, it’s time to stop talking about our traffic problems and start doing something about them. Staggered schedules, work-at-home arrangements and carpooling are all laudable and necessary, but they aren’t enough.

Some issues are out of our hands. This one isn’t. We can solve our traffic problem by taking action and voting yes on the transportation referendum. Then, our conversation can focus on something different: metro Atlanta’s bright future.

Changing the conversation about traffic - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 05:32 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
Despite the shaft that South Dekalb below I-20 got outta MARTA for the last couple of decades...I'm on board.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:29 PM

810 posts, read 3,306,648 times
Too bad Forsyth County is not one of the counties voting on it. If I could, I would vote for it since it benefits all of us.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:17 PM

725 posts, read 1,279,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mich2fla View Post
Too bad Forsyth County is not one of the counties voting on it. If I could, I would vote for it since it benefits all of us.
It's not?

I find that weird since the southern portion of the county is very much apart of the Metro area.

What region is it in?

Old 05-05-2012, 08:23 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
It's not?

I find that weird since the southern portion of the county is very much apart of the Metro area.

What region is it in?
Forsyth is in the Georgia Mountains Regional Commission rather than the ARC.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:31 PM

207 posts, read 643,143 times
I'm on board.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:45 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,281 times
I am voting for it too.

If this tax passes, more jobs will open up in metro Atlanta and more companies will be less hesitant about relocating here due to traffic issues (https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...YjPd3V_65q4pFw)
Just google "traffic issues in atlanta job growth". You will see why many corporations are choosing our peer cities over us. FYI, the short answer is because of our traffic problems.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:53 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Though it will not fix everything, passing this referendum would send a clear messages to businesses: Atlanta is open for business.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:28 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
The cost to each of us? An average of about $200 per person per year for 10 years (the maximum the tax would be collected), taking only the current metro Atlanta population into account.
This only includes current residents, what about the millions of people that visit Atlanta each year. They will be helping us pay for transportation improvements too. While the list may not be perfect, its a start. And if we are not happy after the first 10 years, then the second 10 year round does not get approved.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:32 AM

36 posts, read 103,630 times
I will vote yes on the transportation referendum when it comes to vote. :>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta