Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 01:03 PM

604 posts, read 856,006 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have accepted a job in Forest Park. I want to rent a house in Forest Park or in the area to the south or east of Forest Park. Lake City, Morrow, Rex, and east of I-675 is the area I’m thinking of. I’m looking for something semirural if I can find that within 10 miles of FP (otherwise a typical suburban neighborhood is my second choice), and on Google Maps, the area I mentioned above looks like it's not very densely populated. The 10-mile radius is because I want to ride my bike to work. With that in mind, does anyone have info on municipal bike paths? I found TrailLink, a rails-to-trails website, but I need local, commuter-oriented bike trail info.

My budget is flexible, but I have some questions about prices. I’ve seen small houses for rent in Lake City for as little as $460/mo. Where I live now, $460/mo = war zone. Does this hold true, generally speaking, for Forest Park and surrounding areas, or is the $500/mo range more in line with local prices for a decent rental? (Of course I also see rentals of $1500 - $2500/mo, but I know what I would get there.)

I have no kids and am not worried about access to public transportation. As far as demographics, I just want the same decent neighbors that everyone else wants. Also for people who have moved to the Atlanta area from other places: did you encounter anything that made you say, “I wish I’d known that before I moved here!” Things related to taxes, politics, people, traffic (although I already know traffic is horrible)? I don’t mean for that last question to be a “hate on Atlanta” session, I’m just curious about any little “gotcha!” moments you’ve had. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 01:16 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,165 times
I have no idea about Lake City, but in general, yes, $460/month for a single-family house = war zone. That price would be questionable even for a small apartment. My son and his friends rent a house in a crappy part of Decatur for $650/month and I wouldn't even recommend that. Burglar bars on the windows are a dealbreaker for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: