Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 06:16 PM

31 posts, read 174,482 times

Advertisements

We just received word that we are being transferred to Atlanta. We will not be required to move until the end of this school year (2012 - 2013) so we will be able to apply for private schools in a timely fashion to begin in Aug of 2013. We will be applying for my son's 4th grade year. At first glance I am thinking about The Walker School and the Galloway School. We live in an area that does not have a large number of private schools so I am unfamiliar with their workings. Are either of these schools considered too popular or elite for us to even consider? If not, which schools are? From what I have read here ones that are very elite include Lovett, Pace, Paideia. Are there others which I should not even bother with because you have to know somebody, etc. My son currently goes to a school for gifted children so academically he is very strong.

Also, how bad is the traffic in the suburbs of Atlanta. I may have to put my children in different schools. My daughter will be going into 1st grade by the time of the move and I'm not sure that they would both go to the same private school or that she would need a private school setting.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 06:33 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
Why private?

Old 08-06-2012, 06:44 PM

The school my son goes to now is for academically talented kids. He is starting 3rd grade and will be doing 5th/6th grade language arts and math. Please don't take this as showing off, because I wish he was at a more "normal" grade level. He needs smaller class sizes and academic challenges or he sometimes acts silly in school.

I know gifted education is mandated in Georgia, but the research I have done tells me that the gifted programs are once per week pull outs. Is that wrong?

Old 08-06-2012, 06:56 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,857,852 times
Well, I will tell you that it's not so much that you need "connections" to get in to the private schools you mentioned as much as the fact that 4th grade is not an "expansion" year for most schools. In other words, they probably only admit students if there is attrition (e.g., someone moves or leaves for other reasons). 5th or 6th grade are more typical expansion years for most schools.

I have heard from some parents that gifted programs are not qualitatively different, just that the kids get more of the same work. I can't vouch to the truth of that, but it is worth asking questions.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliejay View Post
The school my son goes to now is for academically talented kids. He is starting 3rd grade and will be doing 5th/6th grade language arts and math. Please don't take this as showing off, because I wish he was at a more "normal" grade level. He needs smaller class sizes and academic challenges or he sometimes acts silly in school.

I know gifted education is mandated in Georgia, but the research I have done tells me that the gifted programs are once per week pull outs. Is that wrong?
Gifted education is a certain amount of time per week, schools have options on how to deliver it. (I think 210 minutes a week for elementary.)

Where will your husband's job be? What part of town?

Old 08-06-2012, 07:52 PM

This move is very new - we just found out Friday and it was a complete shock. Therefore, I'm not sure if the company will be moving buildings, but when I look on a map it is in an area labeled Atlantic Station in Atlanta. Sorry I just don't have a lot of information and I am feeling a lot of anxiety. We will be able to spend a fair amount on a home (around $800,000 - but would gladly spend much less if we can). I'm guessing we would try to rent at first if possible. Where we live will be completely driven by schools. My husband currently has a 45+ minute commute. We would love to shorten it, but will choose neighborhoods based on schools.

I have read the schools sticky so I have seen where the top public schools are. Just was wondering what my sons chances are of getting in to private schools. I guess it will depend on many factors, some out of our control.

Thanks.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:08 PM

Onthemove2014,
My original post has NOTHING to do with your question. From several of the threads here it seems that there are certain private schools that are highly competitive. I came here looking to see if there are some schools that we really should not even bother trying to attend. That is all. Nothing less, nothing more.

thanks to those of you who have responded. I can't tell you how much your time is appreciated.

Last edited by alliejay; 08-06-2012 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: error

Old 08-06-2012, 08:12 PM

145 posts, read 361,476 times
You can get a home in the Morris Brandon school district, which is an incredibly great public elementary school, for under $800,000. It is close to Atlantic Station, his commute would be great. Maybe 20 minutes at most. There are private schools near that neighborhood, too, but Brandon is an awesome school. You could also live in the Sarah Smith or Jackson District. For $800,000 you can live somewhere with good enough schools that you do not "have" to do private, but it's up to you of course good luck! If you must do private, come live in Whittier Mill Village and spend small money ($300,000 +/-) on a house in a safe fun neighborhood and spend big money on that private school education LOL. WMV is close to Pace, Lovett, Westminster, Whitefield, Woodward...I don't know what your "chances" are at each, though, but hopefully others will tell you. Good luck. You can live in a LOT of different areas of Atlanta that are close to Atlantic Station for $800,000.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:22 PM

Thank you WhittierMillVillage. That is great information to have. I'll look into those areas.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:28 PM

For fourth grade, you will have to cast a wide net. Most Atlanta private schools will have far more interest for 4th grade than space. Atlanta isn't like NYC, you don't have to be connected to get into private schools, though it doesn't hurt, it will be a matter of space.

WhitterierMillVillage gives you great advice about neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta