Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 02:15 PM

616 posts, read 1,112,975 times

Advertisements

You always knew the burbs weren't going anywhere. The economy comes back, and the burbs are back. Link is work/family safe.

The Return of the McMansion? | Moneyland | TIME.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 02:18 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times
As long as we have EXPENSIVE cities we will have McMansions

Old 08-07-2012, 02:24 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
At least the article has a picture that actually shows McMansions!

I always think it's funny when people call areas like St. Ives and Country Club of the South McMansions. No, those are plain old regular mansions.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:32 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
At least the article has a picture that actually shows McMansions!

I always think it's funny when people call areas like St. Ives and Country Club of the South McMansions. No, those are plain old regular mansions.
Those look like regular old houses to me. Nice ones, but pretty normal.

I thought "McMansions" were either supposed to be in cookie cutter developments or large newer houses towering over their older neighbors?

Old 08-07-2012, 03:52 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Those look like regular old houses to me. Nice ones, but pretty normal.

I thought "McMansions" were either supposed to be in cookie cutter developments or large newer houses towering over their older neighbors?
I guess now anything that's not a 75 year old, 900sf bungalow in an "up and coming" neighborhood is considered to be a "McMansion" to some folks.....

Old 08-07-2012, 04:10 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
If the picture in the article represents a "McMansion" then we need to super size that order. Those look like pretty average homes to me. They are throwing around homes of 2,400, 2,600 and 3,200 square feet, which to me are average, especially for anything larger than a 3BR/2BA.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:11 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I guess now anything that's not a 75 year old, 900sf bungalow in an "up and coming" neighborhood is considered to be a "McMansion" to some folks.....
Really. I get so sick of the term "McMansion." It's snobby and just plain insulting.

Give folks some respect for their homes and their life choices. People in most parts of the world would give their teeth to have the safe, spacious and well built homes we have in America.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:14 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Really. I get so sick of the term "McMansion." It's snobby and just plain insulting.

Give folks some respect for their homes and their life choices. People in most parts of the world would give their teeth to have the safe, spacious and well built homes we have in America.
Are you running for office?

Old 08-07-2012, 04:31 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,028 times
Wikipedia defines "McMansion" perfectly.

It originally meant...

"In American suburban communities, McMansion is a pejorative for a type of large, new luxury house which is judged to be incongruous for its neighborhood." (These were far more common in other cities where older neighborhoods with small homes became the place to be (due to infill- we don't really have that here!) so people would tear down older houses on small lots and build big luxury homes on those lots, usually cutting down hundreds year old trees in the process just to be in "chicville" .)

But now after years of being a misnomer for simply "McHouse" ...

Alternately, a McMansion can be a large, new house in a sub-division of similarly large houses, which all seem mass produced and lacking distinguishing characteristics, as well as at variance with the traditional local architecture.

This article is about people not wanting to downsize anymore and this makes perfect sense.
Unless you conquer the urge to be a consumer versus being a conservor, then you will continue to accumulate blankety blank and as we all know blankety blank needs a roof over it's head too.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:31 PM

616 posts, read 1,112,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
If the picture in the article represents a "McMansion" then we need to super size that order. Those look like pretty average homes to me. They are throwing around homes of 2,400, 2,600 and 3,200 square feet, which to me are average, especially for anything larger than a 3BR/2BA.
Then the majority of the homes in the Atlanta suburbs would not be McMansions by your criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta