Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 05:54 PM

24 posts, read 62,343 times

Advertisements

Last week I was exploring College Park. I like the downtown area. But nearby, especially west of downtown, I saw street after street (Columbia Ave, etc.) where there clearly used to be neighborhoods full of houses. The driveways were still there, but the empty lots were completely overgrown with trees.

Does anyone know the story about what happened to these neighborhoods in College Park? When did this happen, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 07:38 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
Just a guess, but it may have something to do with the runways. I know there are programs where if the decibel level is too high, the airport has to install insulated windows and sound proof the house.

I know the planes can be pretty loud right there in CP. Standing outside the MARTA station the planes are very low. Possibly these properties were too close to even soundproof so the airport bought them out and razed them. If you follow the paths of the runways in both directions, it is clear that those properties were the closer than any others. It was likely too loud to fix.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:54 PM

126 posts, read 231,826 times
Hartsfield-Jackson generally affects the neighborhoods that lie to its east and west the most. The entire area of Mountain Park was literally wiped off the map due to the construction of the midfield terminal complex in the early 80's.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:45 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayateWind View Post
Hartsfield-Jackson generally affects the neighborhoods that lie to its east and west the most. The entire area of Mountain Park was literally wiped off the map due to the construction of the midfield terminal complex in the early 80's.
I know this sounds nitpicky, but for the record, the town that got wiped off the map was Mountain View. You can see Stone Mountain from that area, thus the name. Mountain Park is a small incorporated town in far north Fulton on the Cherokee line, completely surrounded by Roswell.

The midfield terminal expansion also rerouted the section of 85 from 285 up to the Virginia Avenue area to the west quite a distance. The old route ran close to where the current terminal is today.. This took several blocks off the map of College Park. The current population of just under 14,000 is almost half of its population in the 60s and 70s as airport expansion and noise abatement programs have taken up large chunks of the city.

Last edited by Saintmarks; 08-10-2012 at 11:54 PM..

Old 08-11-2012, 01:52 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
I also know FAA programs in recent years have been doing alot to buy up residential property in the immediate flight paths of runways. I'm not sure how much that played a part....

You can see similar trends near Dekalb-Peachtree.

Newer airports require larger residential buffers.

I'm also curious...

I know over the years Atlanta and the airport had to strikes a couple of deals with College Park to keep growing... Does anyone know if at any point deals were made to help buy out affected homeowners? (form the city/airport... not FAA)

Old 08-11-2012, 11:16 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I also know FAA programs in recent years have been doing alot to buy up residential property in the immediate flight paths of runways. I'm not sure how much that played a part....

You can see similar trends near Dekalb-Peachtree.

Newer airports require larger residential buffers.

I'm also curious...

I know over the years Atlanta and the airport had to strikes a couple of deals with College Park to keep growing... Does anyone know if at any point deals were made to help buy out affected homeowners? (form the city/airport... not FAA)
If you want to see this in major practice, check out Heritage Creek by the Louisville, KY Airport. This was an entire neighborhood bought by the FAA/airport and razed. Only a few homes still remain, but it's mostly just a street grid with grass in between.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:23 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,743 times
I haven't been in that particular area of College Park in a few years now, but would have guessed airport expansion.

In the coming years, I think the airport will continue to gobble up land around it continuing to adversely affecting residential and commercial areas of College Park, East Point, Riverdale and Hapeville.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:41 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Quote:
In the coming years, I think the airport will continue to gobble up land around it continuing to adversely affecting residential and commercial areas of College Park, East Point, Riverdale and Hapeville.
Probably right.

That's why the smart money is pretty much staying out of these areas.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:50 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,547,379 times
As other have said, probably a combination of FAA rules/airport expansion.

If you use Google Earth, the historical imagery goes back to around 1993. More houses and a few apartment blocks were in the area, but a majority of the buildings were demolished before then.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:12 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
I figured this picture was appropriate. This is a aerial view of Atlanta's old terminal, before the built the new (current) one further south and west. It was built pretty close to over those homes to the left.

Atlanta Airport - 1969 aerial photo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta