Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:07 PM

110 posts, read 438,677 times

Advertisements

yes but white plains is expensive to live so 45k in atlanta will make you the same lifestyle.
houses in white plains are very expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 09:22 PM
fil

364 posts, read 1,626,918 times
She commutes from Mahopac which isn't expensive.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:21 AM

9 posts, read 30,485 times
If you are a history (high school). I would suggest checking out North Gwinnett in Suwanee, GA. My daughter graduated from there and the staff is truly a family. It is the best high school in Gwinnett (North Gwinnett High School - Home) Not bad in Football either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Davis View Post
I am a New York City high school history teacher relocating to Atlanta. I am looking for a job for the 2008-09 school year and beyond. Can anyone give me some advice on hiring practices of Atlanta area school districts? I'd like to know things like what time of year they do their hiring, do I apply to individual schools or to the county, should I avoid any areas, etc. I teach inner city kids currently and love it... would not have a problem doing so in Atlanta but mainly I need to just get a job.

Any advice?

Old 01-19-2008, 12:21 PM

4 posts, read 37,006 times
I just relocated from NY to Ga. In NY you get pay every two weeks, Atlanta public schools pay twice per month, most other school districts only pay the last working day of the month. I think getting paid twice per month works better. So think about that. Try and attend a job fair. Go to gapsc.com, or the georgia teach website and you can find fairs with all counties.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:35 PM

31 posts, read 128,977 times
Hi, this is my 6th year as a teacher in Georgia. I began in Fulton, then went to Cobb then went back to Fulton (Cobb salary is lower and they double whammy you with social security and teacher retirment contributions).
Before you decide to relocate from NYC, keep in mind the following: poor mass transit system (you will need a car down here), non union means that you will find yourself with a lot of busy work that does not entail instruction time, an overload of meetings, most of them during your planning time, 20 minutes of duty lunch, morning and afternoon duty, and coworkers who have never traveled either outside of the South or the country. Also, Atlanta does not offer the plethora of culturally enriching resources that NYC does. Most importantly, if you are a single female, this is not the place for you to be, the dating scene is horrible. But if you are married and have kids, this is a great place to comfortabley raise them.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:25 PM

849 posts, read 3,526,897 times
Wink no place

has the cultural resources of NYC You know that, Yami, by contrast to other cities however, Atlanta doesn't do too badly. Did you know that the entire Board of the High museum got wiped out in a plane crash in Paris in I think 1962? They were only just starting to recover in 1985 when I first moved there. That's only 23 years ago. They have brought more serious art exhibits than other similar cities that haven't experienced such a tragedy and set back. The Symphony is world class thanks to the efforts of Robert Shaw in the '80's to build it. The Fox theater brings NY shows and there is a top notch zoo, aquarium, and science center. If you can't find enrichment in that, IMO you really aren't trying. Just think, if those kids really haven't been out of the south, then this stuff is eye opening to them. It all contributes. Your job is to inspire them to go beyond the confines of Atlanta, not give them everything they need to stay there and be content with mediocrity. You have the tools, just tweak the attitude about NY being the center of the universe. (I,mean it is but you don't have to communicate that to everyone else. LOL)

There are lots of ways to date. One doesn't have to go to bars or clubs. If that's your thing, fine but I didn't do it and I met my second husband at age 41 right after Newsweek published an article saying that it was virtually impossible for newly single women over 40 to meet anyone let alone marry. Oh yeah, this was in Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by yami29 View Post
Hi, this is my 6th year as a teacher in Georgia. I began in Fulton, then went to Cobb then went back to Fulton (Cobb salary is lower and they double whammy you with social security and teacher retirment contributions).
Before you decide to relocate from NYC, keep in mind the following: poor mass transit system (you will need a car down here), non union means that you will find yourself with a lot of busy work that does not entail instruction time, an overload of meetings, most of them during your planning time, 20 minutes of duty lunch, morning and afternoon duty, and coworkers who have never traveled either outside of the South or the country. Also, Atlanta does not offer the plethora of culturally enriching resources that NYC does. Most importantly, if you are a single female, this is not the place for you to be, the dating scene is horrible. But if you are married and have kids, this is a great place to comfortabley raise them.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:06 PM

I'm glad your experience in Atlanta has been a good one! However, I'm sorry I can't say it's the same for me. I teach Spanish, and it is very difficult for me to find authentic cultural Hispanic products and settings (besides Mexican) to share with my students. If you can please inform me as to where in Atlanta, I can immerse my students with a culturally enriching,and safe experience beyond Mexican restaurants, and beyond Youtube I will truly appreciate it. Gracias! (P.S. Bars and nightclubs are not my thing, but neither is online dating)

Old 01-21-2008, 07:36 PM

Default your right

about that. maybe you could get them to be more proactive from within their families? you know, talk about their own cultures and share them with the other students. How about Emory? Do they have any sort of Spanish Cultures department? When I took French in HS, we didn't get very much in terms of enrichment and this was metro NY. I also took Italian so we got to go to the Met on occasion and there were a couple of lame exhibitions we went to. I guess you 'll have to be super alert to see when anything cultural and Spanish (in its broadest sense) comes thru. I'd check with the consulates of various countries and check on what the High has in its collection. I'm not familiar with it anymore. Even a few paintings from across the spectrum of Spanish influence would be helpful, don't forget Picasso was Spanish not French.

Didn't meant that you personally go to bars, just meant that most people who complain about the dating scene, that's what they're into. I wouldn't necessarily rule out the internet but I'd be veeeeeery careful if I did it. I can think of a whole lot better places to meet people however than those 2

Quote:
I'm glad your experience in Atlanta has been a good one! However, I'm sorry I can't say it's the same for me. I teach Spanish, and it is very difficult for me to find authentic cultural Hispanic products and settings (besides Mexican) to share with my students. If you can please inform me as to where in Atlanta, I can immerse my students with a culturally enriching,and safe experience beyond Mexican restaurants, and beyond Youtube I will truly appreciate it. Gracias! (P.S. Bars and nightclubs are not my thing, but neither is online dating)

Old 01-21-2008, 07:50 PM

Default Mundo Hispanico

are you familiar with Mundo Hispanico newspaper? Mundo Hispanico I have lost my spoken Spanish but I can still read a fair amount having studied up to the second level in college. The web site is pretty good and I'm sure can lead you to other resources. I'd call them and ask. Tell them just what you said here, that you 're newish to Atlanta and need some help with finding Hispanic resources. Under artes y cultura I noticed a concert listed for Feb. but I'm not familiar with the singer. Also when I googled "spanish atlanta" I saw a number of non-mexican restaurants. Keep digging.

Quote:

Old 01-21-2008, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the info! Yes I do use mundohispanico and the High Museum has not yet given any Spanish artists expos. ( I am a current member). The consulate suggestion is a good one. I will try them. Muchas gracias! Merci Beaucoup!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta