U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 12:57 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,588,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
I liked Roppongi (except for the Yakuza activity) since the area is active all night long. What I really want is for Midtown to feel like Ginza or Shinjuku
Just watched a video of Ginza..it's crazy how much neighborhoods Tokyo has that are just like Times Square....it has to be at least 5-6...Ginza, Ryponggi, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Akihabara, Kabukicho, and probably more than this...

I would kill for Atlanta to have even just one of these....I think that Times Square south project that was proposed to go near the CNN center should move somewhere Midtown.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 01:02 PM

28,107 posts, read 24,632,008 times
I think you are in the wrong city, Ant. Why not just settle in Tokyo or Time Square if that's what you're looking for? Even if Atlanta residents wanted to go in that direction (which they don't), it would still take decades to make that kind of change.

By that time you'll be as old as I am.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:04 PM

9,552 posts, read 8,612,923 times
Ant - I think you need to relocate to NY or Tokyo, for no other reason than to appreciate Atlanta for what it is. Trust me - spend three months in Tokyo and you'll likely yearn for Atlanta.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:08 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,344,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Just watched a video of Ginza..it's crazy how much neighborhoods Tokyo has that are just like Times Square....it has to be at least 5-6...Ginza, Ryponggi, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Akihabara, Kabukicho, and probably more than this...

I would kill for Atlanta to have even just one of these....I think that Times Square south project that was proposed to go near the CNN center should move somewhere Midtown.
Well Tokyo IS the largest city on Earth. And much MUCH older than Atlanta.

You have a lot of expectations for Atlanta, but let's be real. It's only been a "major city" for 40ish years, while it's been many times that for Tokyo, NYC, etc...

Old 06-26-2013, 01:17 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,588,241 times
Why does everyone think that Atlanta is just this perfect place for everyone? Just because you guys like it doesn't mean that people who move away from it will all of a sudden yearn for it. I truly appreciate large, urban cities with lots of foot traffic and things are close by. I don't enjoy driving and I enjoy taking MARTA or the subway into the city when I want to. I like being able to walk to restaurants from where I live and not having to drive 10-20 minutes to get to where I want to. Not everyone likes sprawled, auto-centric cities that doesn't have much life. You see more cars than people on an average day, especially if you never actually go into the city. Americans are too used to cars and not walking. No wonder we have such a poor life expectancy for developed countries and so many are fat. We never walk like people walk in Europe or Asia where they have built up cities.

If that's the case, I yearn to be back in LA moreso than Atlanta. At least LA is a densely sprawled city with more going on for it. Atlanta is far away from many things, most notably other large cities.

I'm just dreaming of an Atlanta where you actually see a lot of foot traffic and amenities within a very short space. Everyone knows Atlanta didn't plan well. Now it's trying to fix that error by building up it's core. I don't understand why suburbanites who don't live in the immediate core care so much(talking to you arjay). It doesn't affect you directly so what does it matter? Maybe one day when it gets to that point, I will rent/buy an apartment/condo in Midtown.

I just don't understand why people here in Atlanta want the city to stay a suburban-like mess with a dead downtown/midtown area. Why would you want tourists to arrive in a city that's dead? That's full of parking lots and bland development? Is it a coincidence that the most toured cities in the world generally are walkable?

Old 06-26-2013, 01:26 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,344,060 times
Quote:
I'm just dreaming of an Atlanta where you actually see a lot of foot traffic and amenities within a very short space. Everyone knows Atlanta didn't plan well. Now it's trying to fix that error by building up it's core. I don't understand why suburbanites who don't live in the immediate core care so much(talking to you arjay). It doesn't affect you directly so what does it matter? Maybe one day when it gets to that point, I will rent/buy an apartment/condo in Midtown.

I just don't understand why people here in Atlanta want the city to stay a suburban-like mess with a dead downtown/midtown area. Why would you want tourists to arrive in a city that's dead? That's full of parking lots and bland development? Is it a coincidence that the most toured cities in the world generally are walkable?
Now this I can agree with ^^^

Old 06-26-2013, 01:43 PM

9,552 posts, read 8,612,923 times
Nobody wants Atlanta "dead" and it is far from that. That doesn't mean we want it to be NYC either.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:36 PM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,459,174 times
Quote:

I don't know anyone who wants that.

And doesn't Arjay live in Va-Hi? Hardly the suburbs.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:21 PM

402 posts, read 568,655 times
Atlanta's 'cityness' has grown exponentially since '96. By 2020 there will be so much more density and amenities in the core Beltline area you won't be able to recognize the city.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:13 PM

28,107 posts, read 24,632,008 times
We used to live in Virginia-Highland and loved it and still have our little house there. However we moved over to Buckhead a while back. Downtown Tokyo it is not but it's not exactly the boondocks either.

Atlanta is a lovely, livable and dynamic city. It's getting better all the time. While I understand Ant's feelings, we have plenty of excellent entertainment and restaurant districts which are the result of community demand. That's exactly how Manhattan and Singapore and London and Hong Kong became what they are.

When I crave a dose of Paris or NYC, I simply go there. No offense intended, but it doesn't make sense to pound on Atlanta or Atlantans for not "measuring up" to a standard we haven't chosen to adopt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta