U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 12:58 PM

650 posts, read 1,267,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
LOL, come on man, that thing goes all of a mile. Do you really think 200,000 people are desperate to spend 20 minutes waiting for and riding on a streetcar so they can avoid a 10 minute walk to see the MLK memorial during their lunch break?

I'm not saying we can't make use of streetcars, but don't pretend this particular one is anything but a dog and pony show. It doesn't go anywhere. Unless you're handicapped or want to go all the way from one end to the other, it's useless.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 12:58 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,537,578 times
Quote:
LOL, come on man, that thing goes all of a mile. Do you really think 200,000 people are desperate to spend 20 minutes waiting for and riding on a streetcar so they can avoid a 10 minute walk to see the MLK memorial during their lunch break?

I'm not saying we can't make use of streetcars, but don't pretend this particular one is anything but a dog and pony show. It doesn't go anywhere. Unless you're handicapped or want to go all the way from one end to the other, it's useless.
It also connects the two distinct campuses of Georgia State, so I think it may be well-used by students. Also, the streetcar's connection to MARTA will be of use to residents and people who work downtown but not directly along Peachtree Street.

Yes, tourists will be the main users of this streetcar line IMO...but what is wrong with that? Do you realize the economic impact tourists have on Atlanta?

Old 08-16-2012, 01:02 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,537,578 times
Actually the first installment of the streetcar is 2.7 miles...so if you're estimating it's "all of" 3 miles.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:14 PM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,462,248 times
Quote:
Yeah, I did dude. Refer to my original post, and the circle is complete
I guess you've never heard of the concept of economic development.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:24 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,573,979 times
I have to toss my opinion in as far as the planning of the initial route. With only a minor tweak of a few blocks, the first leg of the streetcar would have been able to hit 2-3 more major hotels downtown, as well as pass by the actual front of the Aquarium, CNN, and World Congress Center. As it is now, it barely touches the other side edge of the park, so for those wishing to go to those other venues who are on the streetcar, it's a bit of walking from that stop. Not great for the elderly, people with kids in tow, or the handicapped. MARTA rail serves CNN/WCC, so that's an alternative, but it would have been nice to see the streetcar at least directly stop in front of the Aquarium.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:37 PM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,462,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I have to toss my opinion in as far as the planning of the initial route. With only a minor tweak of a few blocks, the first leg of the streetcar would have been able to hit 2-3 more major hotels downtown, as well as pass by the actual front of the Aquarium, CNN, and World Congress Center. As it is now, it barely touches the other side edge of the park, so for those wishing to go to those other venues who are on the streetcar, it's a bit of walking from that stop. Not great for the elderly, people with kids in tow, or the handicapped. MARTA rail serves CNN/WCC, so that's an alternative, but it would have been nice to see the streetcar at least directly stop in front of the Aquarium.
Agreed. Like every thing that has ever existed, it could have been improved.

Maybe their thinking was that the part of the park that is most heavily used (by far) is the water feature on the opposite end of the park from the aquarium.

I'd prefer it to go to the front door of the aquarium, too, but it's really only a two or three minute walk from one end of the park to the other. Anyone who can't manage a short walk on a paved walkway through a nice park cant handle the crowds and navigation of the aquarium. So it's a wash.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:38 PM

7,794 posts, read 11,727,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It also connects the two distinct campuses of Georgia State, so I think it may be well-used by students. Also, the streetcar's connection to MARTA will be of use to residents and people who work downtown but not directly along Peachtree Street.

Yes, tourists will be the main users of this streetcar line IMO...but what is wrong with that? Do you realize the economic impact tourists have on Atlanta?
Exactly. For GA State students this thing is going to be awesome.

As for residents, this will also be a boom for getting around Downtown. I know from experience (I used to live on Marietta Street a long time ago) if you want to get anywhere between Five Point and Peachtree Center, walking is the only real viable option even though there are several bus routes and train stops. While the streetcar route isn't perfect, it hits the bulk of the area in downtown proper that has the largest mass of students, residents, and office workers.

Anyone who thinks this won't be a major boost to Downtown has never lived, worked, or went to school there (no, going to the occasional sporting event doesn't qualify one to know the ins and outs of getting around Downtown).

Old 08-16-2012, 11:34 PM

369 posts, read 532,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Maybe they don't want tourists bypassing the attractions by train and want them to use their feet in that area as much as possible. It is not that much of a distance between the attractions, if some people can't travel that distance maybe they should stay inside. it really isn't that hard even for the elderly.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:07 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,403,041 times
You know the future plans are to have the streetcar from Brookhaven Marta Station to Ft. mcpherson. This plus the Beltline completed would help the city a lot

Old 08-17-2012, 08:26 AM

9,190 posts, read 29,573,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
It is not that much of a distance between the attractions, if some people can't travel that distance maybe they should stay inside. it really isn't that hard even for the elderly.
As someone who once spent a considerable amount of time in a wheelchair when they were younger, I might disagree with that. A few blocks or even a thousand feet "on good legs" is completely different to those who are suffering from things that may cause them to be in a chair, walker, crutches, etc. due to a handicap or age. But as you said, those people can of course, just never leave their homes I guess, as it's silly to expect public transit to make things a little easier for folks like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta