U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 09:51 AM

369 posts, read 534,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
As someone who once spent a considerable amount of time in a wheelchair when they were younger, I might disagree with that. A few blocks or even a thousand feet "on good legs" is completely different to those who are suffering from things that may cause them to be in a chair, walker, crutches, etc. due to a handicap or age. But as you said, those people can of course, just never leave their homes I guess, as it's silly to expect public transit to make things a little easier for folks like that.
Nope, it's not hard for even people in wheel chairs, the place is pretty flat and wheelchair accessible.

The National Mall doesn't have a street car or even metro every block, millions of tourists go there from all over the country, year round, with all kinds of disabilities to see the monuments and no one is complaining. Olympic Centennial Park area is a "walk in the park" (yes pun intended) compared to that.

I could only see someone who is extremely lazy or allergic to the outdoors a having problem touring the Olympic Centennial Park and the surrounding attractions.

I can see how the plan for the street car stop there is to allow patrons to spend as much time in the tourist area as possible instead of whizzing by in a train.

Last edited by readyset; 08-17-2012 at 10:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 03:38 PM

164 posts, read 298,302 times
Default Have you ever walked this area

The main beneficiary of this streetcar will be the Sweet Auburn district and too some extent Georgia State.

Most tourists arrive in Atlanta via the airport and MARTA. If they are staying or visiting downtown to see the olympic park area (CNN, Aquarium, World of Coke) they probably use either Peachtree Center or the Civic Center MARTA station (5P and Garnett are too sketchy). These tourists will not be walking to the Sweet Auburn area to see the MLK memorial. The Auburn and Edgewood underpass and the surrounding vicinity are always occupied by some of the most undesirable characters in the city. The streetcar will whisk them past this dead zone to the MLK memorial. So, this should increase the traffic there.

GA state faculty/student use will be determined by the available housing near the line, frequency of service, and number of stops. If it is quicker for students/faculty to just walk/bike you can expect them to do so; and even more so if there is a fare.

Another user may be downtown office worker commuters that use pay lots that offer lower rates with a quick streetcar trip.

It might also increase development along the route, but I am highly skeptical. Most of the current development is happening in Midtown and Buckhead, and they did not need a streetcar to attract development. Northern Atlanta is where people with money want to live for more reasons than not having a streetcar.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:53 PM
JPD

11,883 posts, read 14,536,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pignchick View Post

It might also increase development along the route, but I am highly skeptical. Most of the current development is happening in Midtown and Buckhead, and they did not need a streetcar to attract development. Northern Atlanta is where people with money want to live for more reasons than not having a streetcar.
Actually, there is a good bit of development going on within walking distance of the Streetcar/MLK/Auburn area. Nothing on the scale of high rises, but several new businesses have opened directly along the route, and there is at least one large scale residential development under construction within walking distance in O4W. Plus, infill houses are being built everywhere people can find lots. The streetcar can't claim all the credit for this, but it's certainly helping. This could be one of those neighborhoods that in ten years people are going to be kicking themselves for not buying into when it was cheap.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:19 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,582,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Actually, there is a good bit of development going on within walking distance of the Streetcar/MLK/Auburn area. Nothing on the scale of high rises, but several new businesses have opened directly along the route, and there is at least one large scale residential development under construction within walking distance in O4W. Plus, infill houses are being built everywhere people can find lots. The streetcar can't claim all the credit for this, but it's certainly helping. This could be one of those neighborhoods that in ten years people are going to be kicking themselves for not buying into when it was cheap.
I just read about a new 18-story GSU dormitory that is planned along the streetcar line (or very near to it).

Old 08-17-2012, 04:22 PM

727 posts, read 1,040,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I just read about a new 18-story GSU dormitory that is planned along the streetcar line (or very near to it).
One block.

I just read the same thing Business Chronicle?

Old 08-17-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
One block.

I just read the same thing Business Chronicle?
Actually in another forum...but I think the article was from the BC.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:39 PM

164 posts, read 298,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Actually in another forum...but I think the article was from the BC.
that GSU building would be in downtown, and probably would have happened regardless of the streetcar as GSU expands their footprint and changes their focus away from being just a commuter school.

What non-GSU infill is happening on the other side of the connector (Auburn and Edgewood)? That is the side that could use a serious facelift. Renaissance Walk also still looks empty based on vacant storefronts.

There is some new construction in Inman Park, but that is not on the streetcar line.

I would agree that this area has development potential, but it will be driven mostly by GSU in the near future.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:12 AM

49 posts, read 57,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
Nope, it's not hard for even people in wheel chairs, the place is pretty flat and wheelchair accessible.

The National Mall doesn't have a street car or even metro every block, millions of tourists go there from all over the country, year round, with all kinds of disabilities to see the monuments and no one is complaining. Olympic Centennial Park area is a "walk in the park" (yes pun intended) compared to that.

I could only see someone who is extremely lazy or allergic to the outdoors a having problem touring the Olympic Centennial Park and the surrounding attractions.

I can see how the plan for the street car stop there is to allow patrons to spend as much time in the tourist area as possible instead of whizzing by in a train.
I was curious so I mapped this out on google maps. Turns out it's roughly a 5 minute walk, give or take distance. I think that's manageable for most people, though that's probably the amount of time it would take some to start sweating profusely in the summer, lol. One place that I hope a future expansion hits is Zoo Atlanta/Grant Park. I find that area slightly lacking in transit. Yes, there are bus routes, but streetcar could be better .

Old 08-18-2012, 11:15 AM

28,215 posts, read 24,815,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
As someone who once spent a considerable amount of time in a wheelchair when they were younger, I might disagree with that. A few blocks or even a thousand feet "on good legs" is completely different to those who are suffering from things that may cause them to be in a chair, walker, crutches, etc. due to a handicap or age. But as you said, those people can of course, just never leave their homes I guess, as it's silly to expect public transit to make things a little easier for folks like that.
Agree 100%. It's hard to appreciate how daunting "a few blocks" can be to someone with physical limitations until you are faced with it yourself. Throw in even a few degrees of slope and see how much harder that makes it.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pignchick View Post
that GSU building would be in downtown, and probably would have happened regardless of the streetcar as GSU expands their footprint and changes their focus away from being just a commuter school.

What non-GSU infill is happening on the other side of the connector (Auburn and Edgewood)? That is the side that could use a serious facelift. Renaissance Walk also still looks empty based on vacant storefronts.

There is some new construction in Inman Park, but that is not on the streetcar line.

I would agree that this area has development potential, but it will be driven mostly by GSU in the near future.
I don't know if you're responding to me, but I didn't say any of that - just commented on the new GSU dorm and never said it was due to the streetcar, but it is along the streetcar line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta