Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 02:36 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,731,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Chicago isn't limited by water on all sides, yet it has dense neighborhoods like Lincoln Park. It can spread in all directions except East. No excuse for Atlanta.
Why do insist on comparing Atlanta to cities that were well established hundreds of years ago. SF, Chicago, NYC, Boston, DC, Philly are not in the same league as Atlanta. These were all well established cities by the time the Civil War broken out. Atlanta was an agricultural center in 1865, that got burned to the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 02:39 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,208,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Why do insist on comparing Atlanta to cities that were well established hundreds of years ago. SF, Chicago, NYC, Boston, DC, Philly are not in the same league as Atlanta. These were all well established cities by the time the Civil War broken out. Atlanta was an agricultural center in 1865, that got burned to the ground.
Because those are world class cities. Atlanta isn't one yet.

I CANT WAIT TIL I AM OLD ENOUGH TO MOVE OUT OF THIS HOUSE MOM! Oh, I meant city.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:40 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,987,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Apparently you don't get the concept of per capita.

There are very few areas of Atlanta that look like that.
I disagree that there are very few...fewer than some other select cities that Atlanta seems to always be held up to for comparison, but not "very few". These areas in Atlanta are more common than some people are willing to admit.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:41 PM

31,938 posts, read 34,457,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Total cost, is still total cost no matter when it's spent. a $10 meal that I pay $8 for up front then $2 at the end still costs the same as a $10 meal that I pay $2.50 for, four times.
It makes a big difference when it's spent. Would you just go ahead and give the IRS all of the money you were projected to be taxed on over the course of your career right now because you'd have to pay it eventually? That makes no sense. You'd have to operate streetcars for years and years and years to recapture that capital expenditure.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post

I CANT WAIT TIL I AM OLD ENOUGH TO MOVE OUT OF THIS HOUSE MOM! Oh, I meant city.
It's not about being world class...it's about how and when the city developed. Atlanta can be a world class city without being a copy of San Francisco.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:43 PM

31,938 posts, read 34,457,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I disagree that there are very few...fewer than some other select cities that Atlanta seems to always be held up to for comparison, but not "very few". These areas in Atlanta are more common than some people are willing to admit.
There are VERY few. I'm not sure what type of Kool-Aid you guys are drinking. That type of street is by far the exception in Atlanta.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Chicago isn't limited by water on all sides, yet it has dense neighborhoods like Lincoln Park. It can spread in all directions except East. No excuse for Atlanta.
Still, Chicago does have a water and is generally more developed in a linear pattern along the water. That little lake has had a huge effect on development in Chicago, and I think the point is that Atlanta doesn't have any natural barriers to development.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:45 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,087,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post

Or it's cheaper to save money and live with parents while I am still attending university? The fact that I am currently a 3.75 while on HOPE scholarship my 3rd year pretty much ensures I'll have a job right out of university while having zero debt. I have the money to go out with friends weekend nights...I'm not struggling. My parents have plenty of room(7 bedroom house). All I have to do is pay for my own gas, food, etc.

It'll be funny to see me making more money then half this forum right out of university.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There are VERY few. I'm not sure what type of Kool-Aid you guys are drinking. That type of street is by far the exception in Atlanta.
You're wrong...I don't really care if you think you're right and I'm not going get into a situation where I need to prove it to you. Think what you want, but those areas are not very few...they are more common than you think.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:48 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,731,164 times
Quote:

I know your being sarcastic! Atlanta is an Alpha- city.
Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ma! Meatloaf!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta