U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-22-2013, 07:52 PM

14,340 posts, read 8,861,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Do you seriously think that New York has as much parking as Atlanta on a per capita basis?
No, probably not.

However, my point remains that New York does have tons of cars, parking garages and on street parking spaces. According to this study, there are between 3.4 and 4.4 million on-street parking spaces in New York City, about 82,000 of which are metered. I've never seen the figures for the number of spaces in private garages but there are bound to be at least a few million more.

New York Has 81,875 Metered Parking Spaces, And Millions of Free Ones | Streetsblog New York City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 09:10 PM

3,312 posts, read 1,704,787 times
7000 psm is pathetic for what is supposed to be the core of the metro. There are at least 5 or so cities who average density across the entire city limits exceed that. Atlanta only has 1 or 2 20k+ psm census tracts and those are in Midtown where the residential towers are. even LA for what is a sprawly city has more census tracts 20k+ then Atlanta does.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:31 PM

7,420 posts, read 4,688,285 times
The most important factor that nobody is bringing up is property ROI after the streetcar is built. The property appreciation for property along street car routes basically pays for them in full and then some. D.C.'s 37 mile streetcar network will cost $1.5 billion dollars. That network will bring in $10-15 billion dollars in property value increase in the District though. More than paying for themselves! I'm pretty sure the samething will happen in Atlanta.

Streetcars will benefit DC's bottom line - Greater Greater Washington

Old 03-23-2013, 03:01 AM

Saw this post on reddit.com/r/atlanta and I think this is my thoughts exactly of Atlanta and many other people living in this city.

Quote:
I'm glad you mentioned Underground Atlanta, because it is a perfect example of what is wrong with this city.
All along I-20 and I-85/75, you see signs to come visit Underground Atlanta. The place is an absolute **** hole, but the city advertises to visitors that they should come visit.
Where are the signs for Atlantic Station? I was living here for 2 years before I even heard of it, but I visited Underground Atlanta my first week in Atlanta and promptly Noped the **** out. This city does not now how to make its gems known.
Nevermind working downtown and dealing with the constant barrage of homeless people and hoodlums. What kind of impression do you think this leaves on people who come to the city to do business or just visit?
And of course, you can leave downtown, but via what transit? Oh, we'll just hop on Marta at 5 points, after I make it past all the random sketchy people loitering and hollering.
Well come to east village then, and see the weirder side of Atlanta! And get your car booted because of ambiguous signage.
Well, maybe you can live in the Grant Park area, it's like a suburb within the city! Right, just about every house on my street has been broken into, because the police doesn't patrol enough (Yes, I pay for trolley patrol, as do my neighbors), and our legal system lets punks develop long rap sheets before any sort of real jail time happens.
Well, it's not so bad OTP! So what's the point of living in "Atlanta" if you specifically buy a house in a place to not be in Atlanta?
I've been traveling a lot over the last year and I can honestly confirm that Atlanta is absolutely not living up to its potential.
There are better places to live, and the moment I can trick someone into paying my mortgage for me(rent), I'm moving away until Atlanta figures out whether it wants to be a mediocre, crime plagued **** hole, or a modern metropolis.
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:37 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,628,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Saw this post on reddit.com/r/atlanta and I think this is my thoughts exactly of Atlanta and many other people living in this city.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way.
well, ant, what's your point? are you just complaining to be complaining, or would you really like it to change? we've got to promote sustainable development in this city— that's why i'm going to school, to get something done with this city. but i mean if you're just pointing out the bad things about the city just because you don't like it and don't see any potential... i don't see the point in that.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:03 AM

163 posts, read 212,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
So 1 mile is far? There are things called bikes to that will get to your destination is half the time of walking and in an area as congested as Inman Park, maybe just as quick as a car.
A mile around midnight, in weather that's rainy and cold, is not really what this woman, alone, wants to deal with. Any other time or better weather, yeah, that's fine. I walk a lot. The walking is really more of a problem if I'm already running late on the way TO the train--there will be no way to make the train in that case, it's a 10- to 15-minute walk.

As for a bike, I do have one, and I do ride it, but I'm leery. I live in a gated apartment building and had it locked to a rack in my garage here, and came out one morning to find that my very big, steel cable attached to my u-lock had been chopped through (along with another bike's lock). Someone must have interrupted the thief, because both bikes were still there. All other bikes on the rack were fine. Point being that unless I can get my u-lock directly around a rack (sometimes I can, sometimes I can't, depending on the position of other bikes on the rack), I'm less than confident about leaving it at the train station. Wish they had bike lockers.

Driving to the train from my location takes about two minutes...I can avoid the congested areas easily.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:51 PM

A mile is more than people typically want to walk to catch a train or a bus.

It also has a lot to do with the quality of the walk. If you're strolling down a safe, well lit, pedestrian oriented street with a good sidewalk and some interesting public things (shops, parks, etc.) along the way it's one thing. But there aren't too many walking environments like that in Atlanta.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
A mile is more than people typically want to walk to catch a train or a bus.

It also has a lot to do with the quality of the walk. If you're strolling down a safe, well lit, pedestrian oriented street with a good sidewalk and some interesting public things (shops, parks, etc.) along the way it's one thing. But there aren't too many walking environments like that in Atlanta.
Exactly. That's what people like me and Bajan have been saying in this thread. At least you're being honest. Atlanta does not have consistent urban, walkable environments, even in Downtown and Midtown.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:00 PM

What's "being honest about it" got to do with anything? Everybody knows that walkability is an issue in most Sunbelt cities.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:11 PM

2,295 posts, read 3,131,952 times
Sounds like just Midtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

If you're strolling down a safe, well lit, pedestrian oriented street with a good sidewalk and some interesting public things (shops, parks, etc.) along the way it's one thing. But there aren't too many walking environments like that in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta