Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2013, 09:32 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,087,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What's "being honest about it" got to do with anything? Everybody knows that walkability is an issue in most Sunbelt cities.
Some comments in this thread seem to disagree with this premise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 10:26 PM

31,995 posts, read 36,572,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Sounds like just Midtown.
Yep, we've got few areas like that. It takes time.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:23 AM

410 posts, read 430,557 times
New Streetcar Pic REVEALED: Photo sneak peek of Atlanta Streetcar | What Now Atlanta

Old 03-28-2013, 11:35 AM

31,995 posts, read 36,572,943 times
Wow, that thing is sharp!

I predict that those who claim the streetcar isn't a transportation solution will be amazed at the effect of getting many of our creative class drivers off the streets.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:40 PM

31,938 posts, read 34,457,827 times
Quote:
wow, that thing is sharp!

I predict that those who claim the streetcar isn't a transportation solution will be amazed at the effect of getting many of our creative class drivers off the streets.
lol

Old 03-28-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Wow, that thing is sharp!

It doesn't really go anywhere though.... We are going to need a streetcar network before that happens...

Old 03-28-2013, 01:10 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,731,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
lol
This is the Atlanta streetcar, not the A train thread.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:15 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,716,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It doesn't really go anywhere though.... We are going to need a streetcar network before that happens...
I agree we are going to need a network before we see a huge change, but I really don't understand the consistent comments from people saying this streetcar doesn't go anywhere. It connects a huge convention industry to a well-known tourist site. It connects GSU students and other 20 somethings riding MARTA to a nightlife district. It gives anybody using MARTA another option for getting to the Dome and Phillips arena for sports, concerts, and whatever other events there may be (connection at Peachtree Center Station). In that sense, while it is a short route, it is a start in a heavily trafficked corridor of Atlanta where a large number of people have the potential to use it. It is the first part of what is to become a large streetcar network, and it was a really good place to start that network.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:22 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,731,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I agree we are going to need a network before we see a huge change, but I really don't understand the consistent comments from people saying this streetcar doesn't go anywhere. It connects a huge convention industry to a well-known tourist site. It connects GSU students and other 20 somethings riding MARTA to a nightlife district. It gives anybody using MARTA another option for getting to the Dome and Phillips arena for sports, concerts, and whatever other events there may be (connection at Peachtree Center Station). In that sense, while it is a short route, it is a start in a heavily trafficked corridor of Atlanta where a large number of people have the potential to use it. It is the first part of what is to become a large streetcar network, and it was a really good place to start that network.
The city is already in the process of getting the studies done for 4 extensions to existing MARTA stations and the BeltLine, so the extension projects can qualify for federal funds.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:31 PM

Why would GSU students need to use this? Most of them park in downtown and the streetcar goes West/East, not north-south and the streetcar line is mainly north of the main campus. It would be easiest to walk 5-10 minutes then wait on a streetcar, pay 2-3 dollars, then get off after 2 minutes rofl.

If people are using MARTA to get to the Dome area, why not just take the train to Five points and walk or take it to the Dome station?

I understand tourist taking it from the Hotel district to MLK, but what other uses are there for this, for locals? There just isn't much....We are going to need a network for this to truly be successful, but hey, I hope I eat my words, but I don't feel this will be nearly as successful as people are trying to make it out to be. It's being overhyped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta