U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-28-2013, 02:38 PM

7,492 posts, read 4,271,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Why would GSU students need to use this? Most of them park in downtown and the streetcar goes West/East, not north-south and the streetcar line is mainly north of the main campus. It would be easiest to walk 5-10 minutes then wait on a streetcar, pay 2-3 dollars, then get off after 2 minutes rofl.

If people are using MARTA to get to the Dome area, why not just take the train to Five points and walk or take it to the Dome station?

I understand tourist taking it from the Hotel district to MLK, but what other uses are there for this, for locals? There just isn't much....We are going to need a network for this to truly be successful, but hey, I hope I eat my words, but I don't feel this will be nearly as successful as people are trying to make it out to be. It's being overhyped.
People and especially visitors like using rail-based transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 02:42 PM

3,569 posts, read 1,991,524 times
That's because it mainly has it's own right of way and won't get jammed up in traffic. That's why I like rail over bus. The streetcar however doesn't have it's own right of way. I'm still trying to figure out how they will set up the stations/stops.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:43 PM
JPD

7,959 posts, read 8,235,307 times
Quote:
Why would GSU students need to use this? Most of them park in downtown and the streetcar goes West/East, not north-south and the streetcar line is mainly north of the main campus. It would be easiest to walk 5-10 minutes then wait on a streetcar, pay 2-3 dollars, then get off after 2 minutes rofl.

The route goes right by the GSU dorms. Students probaly won't ride it to class unless they're lazy (although they could, since it goes right to Aderhold, Rialto, music building, etc.), but they could ride it to the restaurants on Edgewood, or to Centennial Park and the restaurants and attractions around there.

I agree we need a bigger network, but we have to start somewhere.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:46 PM

571 posts, read 291,898 times
Quote:

If people are using MARTA to get to the Dome area, why not just take the train to Five points and walk or take it to the Dome station?

I understand tourist taking it from the Hotel district to MLK, but what other uses are there for this, for locals? There just isn't much....We are going to need a network for this to truly be successful, but hey, I hope I eat my words, but I don't feel this will be nearly as successful as people are trying to make it out to be. It's being overhyped.
GSU - There are a growing number of GSU students living on campus. I don't know, but I would assume women would feel safer taking the streetcar to meet their friends than walking down Edgewood or Auburn alone at night (this is whole different problem in itself). That's just one example, but I think a lot of students would use it to get to the bars, depending on where they are living - we'll see. When I was in college, only a few years ago, everybody always opted to take public transit than walking or cabbing it - it was easier to pre-game on the train than on the sidewalk :-) Can't really argue it until there is proof when it is running.

Dome - Yes, I said it was another option though. Have you ever walked out of the dome and had to wait in line to get on the train? And then transferred at 5 points with the billion other people getting on the red/gold lines? The streetcar will provide another option for that (in addition to the Vine City station), and will avoid having to transfer at a crowded Five Points, and instead at a less crowded Peachtree Center. It's all about preference, but options are never a bad thing, and I can almost guarantee that people will use it for that purpose once they catch onto it.

Again, like cq said, there is already funding for studies that will be of use to extend the system. This is jut Part 1 of a really awesome network for Atlanta.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:51 PM

And part 2 won't come until 2020 so it's not like that matters at the moment.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:51 PM

571 posts, read 291,898 times
Quote:
And part 2 won't come until 2020 so it's not like that matters at the moment.
I'm sure you said the same thing about Part 1, but here it is!

Old 03-28-2013, 02:52 PM

Yeah, after it was delayed for more then a year.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:58 PM

90 posts, read 44,791 times
Quote:
almost every rail project in this country has gotten delayed for a year or more in the past decade

Old 03-28-2013, 03:22 PM

15,076 posts, read 9,818,281 times
Quote:
You know, we can sit around crabbing about how terrible life is, or we can jump in and embrace it fully.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:33 PM

17,595 posts, read 10,074,576 times
Look at all of the development the bus has stimulated in Portland!

Human Transit: can local buses "stimulate" development?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta