U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 01:15 AM

783 posts, read 833,325 times

Advertisements

$734.25 is an egregious fine. You have every right to stay in that if you're turning, especially if you slow down. What a joke. Extorting money from citizens in this way is unacceptable.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:29 AM

9 posts, read 37,939 times
It's allegedly to cover court costs, since the law states that the fine cannot exceed $500, but even then it's still absurd. This is an arraignment, which means that I won't be the only defendant there. It's as if I'm covering costs for everyone in the courtroom that day.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:17 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,518,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Another reason I don't see why Georgians like to drive so much...they might have better roads than South Carolina, but that's because they're people are getting pulled over for every little thing and the fines are some of the harshest in the country.
Haha, um, I literally grew up on the other side of the lake from Anderson. Believe me, there are very few places in the country with cops out as much as in SC. They are literally everywhere over there! Also, they can pretty much take anyone to jail for driving too fast. Georgia is waaay more lax.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:18 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,670,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
You're not a lawyer but you had to pass a test to get your driver's license, didn't you?
There is so many people on the road totally oblivious to most traffic laws, I have been always saying that in most states it was way to easy to get a driver's license.
I agree that it's too easy to get a license but there's a bit of a difference between a driver's test and all the exams you need to pass in order to become a lawyer. I'm just saying the laws seem to change daily and it's kinda hard to keep up with them.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:33 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,356,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I agree that it's too easy to get a license but there's a bit of a difference between a driver's test and all the exams you need to pass in order to become a lawyer. I'm just saying the laws seem to change daily and it's kinda hard to keep up with them.
Get a lawyer then.

Having a lawyer is just like having a dentist.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:55 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,322,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrigan View Post
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=P...sz=17&t=m&z=17

Here is the approximate mapping of the incident. Point A was where the cars were stopped. Point B was approximately where the blue lights came on for me. Point C was where I came to a stop for the officer (at the beginning of the turn lane). Just slightly over 700ft. according to the scale provided. As I previously mentioned, I was in the rightmost left-turn lane, and there were cars in the turning lane to the left of me. Normally I do move over a lane for stopped cars, emergency or not, but given the circumstances and where I needed to get to, I decide to simply slow down as I passed the stopped cars since I noticed nobody outside. And no, I do not intend to say "I didn't know". I've always assumed that the judge would just say, "Well you know now." I've thought this for years.

As for traffic, it was moderate, but still moving at around the 55MPH speed limit. It was also pretty dark. Between 9:15pm and 9:30pm.
Posting this ^ ^ ^ would appear to demonstrate you're willing to go through the trouble of making a strong case for yourself. As someone else said, don't plead ignorance. Rather plead you know the law and know it well and that you were totally in compliance with the law because it was unsafe to make a lane change at that time and you slowed down.

Just be aware that there may be some dash cam video that could be good for your case or not good for your case. If so, you should definitely request it from every vehicle that was at the scene once you get a court date. They will probably deny your request for this evidence and if so, you should have your request and denial in writing. That way you can show that if it comes up in the court room, you can say to the judge that you were unable to prepare for your case because the PD refused to let you examine the facts before the trial at which point you can try asking to have the case dismissed or rescheduled at a later date. Speaking of court dates, I highly recommend the last 2 weeks of November or December if you can . (No witness, case dismissed.) You may be able to reschedule to those times from the very get go. The first date you get is probably going to be a pre-trial hearing where they try to convince anyone who shows up just to pay the fine.

You can also hire a lawyer. They may do this for you. Or they may forget about the court date altogether and never even show up, which has been my experience with them which actually resulted in a suspended license. Either way, what the lawyer charges is going to most likely be more expensive than the fine. The only reason I hired one many years ago was because I got slammed with a lot of citations all in a brief period (that's life in Jacksonville!) and if I didn't get out of at least one of them, I was going to have my license suspended.

Always be respectful to the judge.... yes your honor, no your honor. Never argue with them. Just play it cool. If the judge finds you guilty, ask nicely if they can help you out on the amount of the fine or try to get any points removed. Or both.

Last edited by cittic10; 08-13-2012 at 09:09 AM..

Old 08-13-2012, 09:52 AM

2,924 posts, read 2,358,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I understand what you saying yet knowing traffic laws can save your and somebody else's life.
This law is fairly new so they still have those big signs that say move over or slow down for stopped vehicle but in my opinion it is just common sense, isn't it?

Old 08-13-2012, 10:47 AM

11,319 posts, read 22,482,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
I understand what you saying yet knowing traffic laws can save your and somebody else's life.
This law is fairly new so they still have those big signs that say move over or slow down for stopped vehicle but in my opinion it is just common sense, isn't it?
It's mostly common sense, but as we can see from this alleged situation, sometimes a person can be ticketed for actually following the law.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:35 PM

2,924 posts, read 2,358,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
It's mostly common sense, but as we can see from this alleged situation, sometimes a person can be ticketed for actually following the law.
Then you have to fight it. Even if attorney fees are equal to the ticket, ticket will cost you more in the long run as it affects your driving record.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:34 PM

9 posts, read 37,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Just be aware that there may be some dash cam video that could be good for your case or not good for your case. If so, you should definitely request it from every vehicle that was at the scene once you get a court date. They will probably deny your request for this evidence and if so, you should have your request and denial in writing. That way you can show that if it comes up in the court room, you can say to the judge that you were unable to prepare for your case because the PD refused to let you examine the facts before the trial at which point you can try asking to have the case dismissed or rescheduled at a later date. Speaking of court dates, I highly recommend the last 2 weeks of November or December if you can . (No witness, case dismissed.) You may be able to reschedule to those times from the very get go. The first date you get is probably going to be a pre-trial hearing where they try to convince anyone who shows up just to pay the fine.
How would I go about requesting dash cam footage? Will I even have time now, seeing as how arraignment is on Thursday?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or