U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 05:31 PM

811 posts, read 824,205 times

Advertisements

By the end of next year, when all cars have the newly designed license plates, which one do you think will be most common?

The Standard "Peach State" "pumpkins" against a meadow backdrop in three colors (blue, orange, and white)

The Standard Alternate plate which simply features a peach in the middle.

The reason I ask is because when the license plates were first issued, the standard plate was far more common, on the order of ninety to ninety five percent. However, as time goes on, I see more and more standard alternate plates, to the point where it seems the alternate plate is now about thirty to forty percent of the new plates. Given these trends, the alternate plate may become more common. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 11:34 AM

7,846 posts, read 14,884,328 times
If you register a new car, they just send you the scene in the meadow with the "peachy pumpkins" and you have no choice. Not sure what you get when you renew by mail, so I think only people going in person can get the "alternate" black and white plate with the peach in the center.

Bear in mind that all of the existing black and white plates will not be replaced, so you will see all the plates issued within the last 5 years still on cars. That accounts for a bunch of cars.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:35 PM

6,562 posts, read 7,676,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
By the end of next year, when all cars have the newly designed license plates, which one do you think will be most common?

The Standard "Peach State" "pumpkins" against a meadow backdrop in three colors (blue, orange, and white)

The Standard Alternate plate which simply features a peach in the middle.

The reason I ask is because when the license plates were first issued, the standard plate was far more common, on the order of ninety to ninety five percent. However, as time goes on, I see more and more standard alternate plates, to the point where it seems the alternate plate is now about thirty to forty percent of the new plates. Given these trends, the alternate plate may become more common. What do you think?
I don't know, but I hope so.

From far away they look better, and are easier to see. The imagery on the new standard plates are completely ruined when your more than 10 feet away!

I say when ever they make a new plate: Keep it simple; and make sure it stays true to something that makes Georgia unique.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:56 PM

8,321 posts, read 10,270,674 times
Okay, I'm sorry to veer off topic on a rant, but please bear with me.

Today I saw an Ohio tag. It says "birthplace of aviation" or something like that. North Carolina says "first in flight." So we've got 2 states, both having something to do with aviation. Hmmmm.

And what do we have? A peach?

Okay. Nobody really associates peaches with Georgia. The Wright brothers aren't the first thing most people think of when they think of North Carolina. I can't even figure out what Ohio is talking about when it claims to be the birthplace of aviation.

So that got me thinking. License plates are so out of touch with reality. What do you think of when you think of Atlanta? Most people think of Delta, CNN, Home Depot, the Braves, etc.

I know, you can't have private companies on license plates. But that got me thinking.....what if you could? What if you could CHOOSE to have a CNN or Delta license plate? What if that plates was $50 or something like that less than a non-branded plate? What if we sold advertising on license plates to subisidize the cost of them for driving? Companies pay for billboards, why wouldn't they pay to have permanent advertising all over the roads?

I think it's a great idea! Anyone who wants to advertise on license plates could submit designs to the state and each driver could pick who they wanted to advertise. Or they could pick the generic plate, pay more, and not advertise for anyone.

I love my idea!

Old 08-15-2012, 01:28 PM

329 posts, read 524,433 times
This is why I have my UGA plate (go Dawgs!). If i didn't have a UGA plate, I would probably have chosen the Falcons plate.

Now, if it were a corporation rather than a team... a Delta themed plate would look good (navy blue, red, white). So would a Home Depot plate (Orange, White).

My personal favorite... A Porsche (Black, Red, White) plate... on my Porsche (when i own one).

Old 08-15-2012, 02:03 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Okay, I'm sorry to veer off topic on a rant, but please bear with me.

Today I saw an Ohio tag. It says "birthplace of aviation" or something like that. North Carolina says "first in flight." So we've got 2 states, both having something to do with aviation. Hmmmm.

And what do we have? A peach?

Okay. Nobody really associates peaches with Georgia. The Wright brothers aren't the first thing most people think of when they think of North Carolina. I can't even figure out what Ohio is talking about when it claims to be the birthplace of aviation.

So that got me thinking. License plates are so out of touch with reality. What do you think of when you think of Atlanta? Most people think of Delta, CNN, Home Depot, the Braves, etc.

I know, you can't have private companies on license plates. But that got me thinking.....what if you could? What if you could CHOOSE to have a CNN or Delta license plate? What if that plates was $50 or something like that less than a non-branded plate? What if we sold advertising on license plates to subisidize the cost of them for driving? Companies pay for billboards, why wouldn't they pay to have permanent advertising all over the roads?

I think it's a great idea! Anyone who wants to advertise on license plates could submit designs to the state and each driver could pick who they wanted to advertise. Or they could pick the generic plate, pay more, and not advertise for anyone.

I love my idea!
What the plates for GA, NC, and OH all have in common is that they are referencing something historical about the state. But you have a point in that have more contemporary references on the plates would be more preferable.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:15 PM

6,562 posts, read 7,676,009 times
Well I don't know... I grew up always calling Georgia the Peach State.
Now I'm not so ignorant that I think everyone across the US always calls us the Peach State, but I always grew up here being told that and our good looking ladies have always been a sweet Georgia Peach

Old 08-15-2012, 04:24 PM

808 posts, read 2,909,254 times
Being from Michigan, here's my favorite:

skylines of Grand Rapids and Detroit (upper left corner), plenty of trees (upper right corner), image of state surrounded by the Great Lakes (center), and image of the Mackinac bridge to connect the lower and upper peninsulas.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:27 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,532,135 times
Im wildlife from here on out..

Old 08-15-2012, 05:23 PM

367 posts, read 472,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mich2fla View Post
Being from Michigan, here's my favorite:

skylines of Grand Rapids and Detroit (upper left corner), plenty of trees (upper right corner), image of state surrounded by the Great Lakes (center), and image of the Mackinac bridge to connect the lower and upper peninsulas.
that's my favorite plate in the entire country, and i had it on my car when i lived in detroit 5yrs ago. (WRAS represent!)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta