Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 10:38 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pignchick View Post
I cannot believe how long the Eastside Trail construction has dragged out, and it is still not done. It is way past the expected completion date. People are already walking on it, but you cannot cross the ponce bridge, so it is of limited value. There are still many sections that have no concrete layed yet, and landscaping has not even started. Then there are the bridges over ralph mcgill and ponce that are not complete months after they were started. Seriosuly, this is not a big undertaking.

The eastside trail won't even get to dekalb ave because the edgewood bridge needs to be replaced, but if they could just get the trail completed to north highland that would already be a good start, because then you could connect to the freedom trail. I also hope that they add connections to some of these condo/lofts and shopping centers on the trail to increase the connectivity.
I'm looking at the photo album for the eastside trail...it's paved under Virginia Ave. as of May 14. It was paved past Fourth Ward Park on May 16. North and South of Freedom Parkway on June 6...so is the section around North Ave not done?

How quickly would you expect to pull up several miles of railroad track, clean up the land, re-grade the land in that space to support not only the trail, but future transit (yes, they are creating the ROW now), pave the new trail, replace several bridges, and fully landscape the entire thing while working on their level of funding? The ground-breaking was less than three years ago.

As far as I know, the completion date is "summer 2012"...I wouldn't say we are WAY past that yet. Of course, that might have changed from the original projection.

Also...if you voted against TSPLOST, I don't want to hear any whining about their progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 10:16 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I'm looking at the photo album for the eastside trail...it's paved under Virginia Ave. as of May 14. It was paved past Fourth Ward Park on May 16. North and South of Freedom Parkway on June 6...so is the section around North Ave not done?

How quickly would you expect to pull up several miles of railroad track, clean up the land, re-grade the land in that space to support not only the trail, but future transit (yes, they are creating the ROW now), pave the new trail, replace several bridges, and fully landscape the entire thing while working on their level of funding? The ground-breaking was less than three years ago.

As far as I know, the completion date is "summer 2012"...I wouldn't say we are WAY past that yet. Of course, that might have changed from the original projection.

Also...if you voted against TSPLOST, I don't want to hear any whining about their progress.
I have talked to MANY people that think these projects should happen overnight. It takes years of planning and the months/years of doing.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:50 PM

164 posts, read 375,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I have talked to MANY people that think these projects should happen overnight. It takes years of planning and the months/years of doing.
The ending date is a moving target. I believe that first estimated completion date was 2011. That date continues to be pushed back and now summer is almost over; so I should expect a new estimated completion date of Fall/Winter 2012 soon? Then you have to keep in mind that even after they open the trail, there will need to be some touch up work and landscaping. So what keeps pushing this project back further? I really want to use my road bike on this trail and its current state of in-completion is not workable.

Removing some old tracks, cutting some kudzu, installing some retaining walls, adding one new bridge, repairing another, and laying concrete should not take this long. The Eastside Trail is not that long, and they should have continued the trail to Ansley Mall imo. They also need to do something about the homeless camp on the beltline underneath the Piedmont Ave bridge, but that is another topic for another day.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:26 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pignchick View Post
The ending date is a moving target. I believe that first estimated completion date was 2011. That date continues to be pushed back and now summer is almost over; so I should expect a new estimated completion date of Fall/Winter 2012 soon? Then you have to keep in mind that even after they open the trail, there will need to be some touch up work and landscaping. So what keeps pushing this project back further? I really want to use my road bike on this trail and its current state of in-completion is not workable.

Removing some old tracks, cutting some kudzu, installing some retaining walls, adding one new bridge, repairing another, and laying concrete should not take this long. The Eastside Trail is not that long, and they should have continued the trail to Ansley Mall imo. They also need to do something about the homeless camp on the beltline underneath the Piedmont Ave bridge, but that is another topic for another day.
Okay...you're just not listening. These things take time as well as funding, which is often not a steady flow...plus there are MANY other factors that can result in delays, like weather and employment issues. Just try to have some patience.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:15 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
New policy tightens Beltline

This dedication to responsible spending is refreshing! If i'm reading this right, it sounds like Invest Atlanta has been keeping a good eye on things. We need people like this in every branch and level of government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta