U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2012, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,846 posts, read 14,851,618 times
Reputation: 3502

Advertisements

This is an example of why many people don't trust that tax money like the proposed TSPLOST (some of which was earmarked for the Beltline) will be spent and managed wisely.

Audit Questions Atlanta BeltLine Spending

Beltline reimburses city for second wedding gift, more alcohol charges *| ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2012, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA (Sandy Springs)
4,975 posts, read 2,767,730 times
Reputation: 3774
Well that sucks. Seems like none of our government projects can ever do anything ethically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 08:57 PM
 
29,247 posts, read 26,177,667 times
Reputation: 10208
This has been discussed in another thread.

While I certainly don't approve of the Beltline people spending money inappropriately (and have posted about that in the other thread), it's minuscule compared to the corruption that goes on constantly in other governments and in private enterprise.

Why don't we see threads posted about that?

If you don't think there are plenty of topics, try a few of these:

Atlanta Unfiltered - nothing but the truth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2012, 09:29 AM
 
650 posts, read 1,310,730 times
Reputation: 340


tsk tsk..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2012, 09:33 AM
 
Location: ATL
4,688 posts, read 6,601,041 times
Reputation: 1804
This was posted last week. Stop posting the same article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2012, 10:07 AM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,891,021 times
Reputation: 4071
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
This is an example of why many people don't trust that tax money like the proposed TSPLOST (some of which was earmarked for the Beltline) will be spent and managed wisely.

Audit Questions Atlanta BeltLine Spending

Beltline reimburses city for second wedding gift, more alcohol charges *| ajc.com
A more postitive take on this type of corruption is that the diligence of city auditors actually caught and publicized the situation. That's why there are audits, and this one successfuly put the brakes on some unethical behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Status: "Apparently not a person." (set 1 day ago)
 
4,985 posts, read 3,264,211 times
Reputation: 3322
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoez View Post

tsk tsk..
Is this confirmed to have been paid with taxpayer or even Beltline money? When we were having our baby, we got a big package of gifts from all of the people at work, with nearly the same wording "from your --- family". Trust me, it was not company money that bought it.

Oops : just realized that this is yet the same thing that neil posted form the article.

Last edited by samiwas1; 08-16-2012 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2012, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,846 posts, read 14,851,618 times
Reputation: 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
A more postitive take on this type of corruption is that the diligence of city auditors actually caught and publicized the situation. That's why there are audits, and this one successfuly put the brakes on some unethical behavior.
I thought about that originally as I was contemplating whether or not to post it. Sure, it's great that someone caught the abuse. Having said that, do we know if it's the extent of it or just the tip of the iceberg?

I think it's an endemic problem that we have on these kinds of public projects, and I'm not singling out the Beltline. It just happens to be the most recent example. I truly think it's an extension of the mindset that the money grows on trees and that it's the "government's money" so who cares if it gets wasted or stolen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2012, 02:23 PM
JPD
 
12,159 posts, read 15,024,165 times
Reputation: 7906
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I thought about that originally as I was contemplating whether or not to post it. Sure, it's great that someone caught the abuse. Having said that, do we know if it's the extent of it or just the tip of the iceberg?

I think it's an endemic problem that we have on these kinds of public projects, and I'm not singling out the Beltline. It just happens to be the most recent example. I truly think it's an extension of the mindset that the money grows on trees and that it's the "government's money" so who cares if it gets wasted or stolen.
I know you hate the government, but let's not just nail public projercts to the wall. There's just as much, if not more, of this kind of garbage going on in the private sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2012, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,846 posts, read 14,851,618 times
Reputation: 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I know you hate the government, but let's not just nail public projercts to the wall. There's just as much, if not more, of this kind of garbage going on in the private sector.
I don't hate government and never said anything to that effect, so stop trying to put words in my mouth to suit your view. What I hate is inefficient and wasteful gov't. What I hate is a nanny gov't. Lean and efficient gov't is a necessary thing for a civil society, within certain constitutional boundaries.

As for your point (and by the way...you sound like you "hate" private enterprise and capitalism ), if money is wasted in private business, then it's between the shareholders or principals of that company and those who are wasting the money. If it's criminal, then those people should be prosecuted. It has nothing to do with you or with me, unless we are shareholders (of a public company).

If I didn't know better, I'd swear you were trying to justify the abuse at the Beltline by saying...."it's OK, everyone is doing it" but I wouldn't want to put words in your mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top