Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 04:24 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times

Advertisements

How do people feel about other states?
Quote:
What do other Americans think of Georgia? It ain't pretty.

Our American brethren wonder most why Georgia is so “hot,” “racist,” “boring,” and “humid.”

But don’t feel too bad, Georgia... “boring” was the most common search term for all the states.

Read more: Why are Georgians so...? - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 04:37 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Why is Florida so:

Weird
Trashy

LOL!!!!!

Old 08-16-2012, 04:38 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,743 times
boring in GA? Largely depends on one's perspective. And maybe where you are in life (life stages), not necessarily where you are.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:19 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Why is Florida so:

Weird
Trashy

LOL!!!!!
Florida is trashy, and much more racist than Georgia from my experiences.

I don't really think Georgia's that bad of a state, although I literally just moved to Atlanta lol and that's the only place I've ever been to in the state. Like I said though, so far it's not really that bad. People are extremely friendly here and smile all the time (which I admit, it does get kind of old and annoying, but I don't mind most of the time).

The cops are all d-bags, but that's the same situation in NY. Actually, compared to NY cops, these guys down here are much more friendly.

What I also like about down here is when the seats on the Marta are full and there are women coming on, men give up their seats without hesitation. Of course, it does happen up north too, but down here it's just rather nice to see a guy get up and stand before the woman even steps foot onto the train.

Humid definitely describes Georgia but what can you really do about it? It's a southern state, it's bound to be freakin' hot. I'm still not use to the heat. I go from AC to AC. I step foot outside for about 30 seconds and immediately all pores in my body release intense amounts of sweat.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I go from AC to AC. I step foot outside for about 30 seconds and immediately all pores in my body release intense amounts of sweat.
You never get used to it.

I've lived in the south my entire life and the past 25 years between Alabama, Florida, and Georgia.

If anything, I have found myself becoming less tolerant of the heat and humidity instead of getting used to it. But since I'm not a fan of the cold either, I figure what the heck and I stay here.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
You never get used to it.

I've lived in the south my entire life and the past 25 years between Alabama, Florida, and Georgia.

If anything, I have found myself becoming less tolerant of the heat and humidity instead of getting used to it. But since I'm not a fan of the cold either, I figure what the heck and I stay here.
Lol. I hated the cold before I moved down here too, but now I think I'd rather have cold winters with tolerable summers than summers that feel like I'm walking in a desert. Overall though, it's not a bad place. I'm excited to see how mild winters will be.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:58 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
Default Atlanta Winters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Florida is trashy, and much more racist than Georgia from my experiences.

I don't really think Georgia's that bad of a state, although I literally just moved to Atlanta lol and that's the only place I've ever been to in the state. Like I said though, so far it's not really that bad. People are extremely friendly here and smile all the time (which I admit, it does get kind of old and annoying, but I don't mind most of the time).

The cops are all d-bags, but that's the same situation in NY. Actually, compared to NY cops, these guys down here are much more friendly.

What I also like about down here is when the seats on the Marta are full and there are women coming on, men give up their seats without hesitation. Of course, it does happen up north too, but down here it's just rather nice to see a guy get up and stand before the woman even steps foot onto the train.

Humid definitely describes Georgia but what can you really do about it? It's a southern state, it's bound to be freakin' hot. I'm still not use to the heat. I go from AC to AC. I step foot outside for about 30 seconds and immediately all pores in my body release intense amounts of sweat.
But you'll love Atlanta winters. Not too cold, hardly any snow, and still sunshine...

Old 08-16-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
But you'll love Atlanta winters. Not too cold, hardly any snow, and still sunshine...
I hate snow with a flaming passion. Sunshine is what I need year round, but sadly I think I'll be moving back to NY in a couple years because there's always that something that I miss. Born and raised in the northeast and there's something about it that I hate so much that I love it.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
there's something about it that I hate so much that I love it.
That's exactly how I feel about the south.

I'm afraid if I left, I would really miss it. What's odd is even though I have gotten used to it, I've never really felt at home in Atlanta. You know that feeling you get, like right when you step off the plane you say, "Wow, I could totally live here!" I don't konw if that feeling is sustainable over time, but the only places I have gotten it are:

Los Angeles
New York
Orlando
Birmingham
Chicago (though it quickly faded here the more I went around the city)

Quite an eclectic mix of places, but I can't describe it, it's just a feeling. Strangely, even after living in Atlanta for over 15 years I have never felt it about here.

Incidentally, you know how you can get the opposite feeling? Like as soon as you hit a place you get overwhelmed with a "I totally hate it here, get me out of here as soon as possible"? I got that in the following places:

Atlanta (when I first arrived here, I did have that feeling)
Philadelphia
San Francisco
Newark
Houston
Miami

Old 08-16-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
That's exactly how I feel about the south.

I'm afraid if I left, I would really miss it. What's odd is even though I have gotten used to it, I've never really felt at home in Atlanta. You know that feeling you get, like right when you step off the plane you say, "Wow, I could totally live here!" I don't konw if that feeling is sustainable over time, but the only places I have gotten it are:

Los Angeles
New York
Orlando
Birmingham

Quite an eclectic mix of places, but I can't describe it, it's just a feeling. Strangely, even after living in Atlanta for over 15 years I have never felt it about here.
It's a very powerful feeling. I think what I love about the northeast is that everything is like right there. You got Boston, Mystic, CT (my favorite New England town), NYCCCC!!!!, and then if you drive like 7 hours into the South you can be in Ocean City, Maryland. I like spending a few days there in the summer. I would think you could hop a quick flight there too and to the Jersey Shore, but I've never done so, nor have I been to Seaside Heights, NJ.

I wasn't really afraid to leave NY, I was ready for it. It definitely needed to be done. I needed to expand my mindset and see a bit more of the country before I became one of those old NYers with a heavy accent (which I still am having trouble diluting) who think that people from Texas have shoot outs with Native Americans.

I told myself I could live in Florida and that it was the best thing ever, but after 2 months, I said **** no I can't live here any longer and drove my Yankee toosh back to NY lol. I don't regret moving to Atlanta though, it's better than my FL experience was so far.

I've never been out west though...that's my next goal to travel to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta