U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 08:45 PM

8 posts, read 22,265 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will most likely be moving to Atlanta mid-school year. After reading about how hard it is to get into private schools in the area, I was wondering if anyone knew if the private schools in the area even take children mid-school year or will we have to wait until next fall? We are looking at private Christian schools (for religious reasons). Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 08:52 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,065,161 times
Where in Atlanta do you envision yourself living? Where is your job, etc? Answering these questions will likely help us give you better advice? (Please also add, at least for my sake, how important top tier academics are to you and how Christian are you thinking. Many families, who seek a religious based private school, do so for religious reasons as much as, not more than, academic ones. Your response will make a difference in the advice I give. The grade levels of your children will help as well.)

1. Budget
2. House/Condo/Townhome?
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
4. Children(public school vs. private)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:56 PM

2,009 posts, read 2,144,747 times
GAC is pretty big. I imagine they would take most anyone

Old 08-17-2012, 09:03 PM

My children will be in 10th grade and 2nd grade. I would like a Christian school that is excellent academically as well. I was looking at Wesleyan and Greater Atlanta Christian and possibly Mount Pisgah.

We will buy a home near the school the children are accepted to. We would like to ideally be in the suburbs. House price is not really a concern. My husband will commute by car. We would like a family oriented neighborhood.

Do any of these schools take students in January? If I know this then I can decide whether I need to "get on this" or just hang tight until next school year! As my oldest is in high school I would rather go ahead and bite the bullet...

Old 08-17-2012, 09:06 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,040,801 times
Many private (parochial) schools in Atlanta do not take students during the school year. I would imagine there could be a few exceptions, given the state of the current economy. Just to know for sure, you should call some up to find out for sure or look online and research before moving. In the event you cannot find one, you could enroll your child in the public school in the area you intend to move to.

Obviously, the less competitive private schools will be more accommodating than the selective private schools, just call some up and ask if they allow them to come in mid-year.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:16 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,065,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk96 View Post
My children will be in 10th grade and 2nd grade. I would like a Christian school that is excellent academically as well. I was looking at Wesleyan and Greater Atlanta Christian and possibly Mount Pisgah.

We will buy a home near the school the children are accepted to. We would like to ideally be in the suburbs. House price is not really a concern. My husband will commute by car. We would like a family oriented neighborhood.

Do any of these schools take students in January? If I know this then I can decide whether I need to "get on this" or just hang tight until next school year! As my oldest is in high school I would rather go ahead and bite the bullet...
Really, you need to start with commute. Where will your husband's job be and will he work normal hours? Traffic in Atlanta is a bear. Buying near the school might not be your best choice -- as there are carpools and even bus service from multiple places to the larger schools.

I would simply start calling next week. Greater Atlanta Christian is large, but I know many kids who didn't get in this year because they are full, at least for middle school. Wesleyan is large as well. For your kids to even be considered, there has to be space. While inquiring, you need to ask if they even take rising juniors, should you have to wait for the following year, and if they can give you a sense of how many applicants they have for spaces at that point.

Here are a couple of more for you to think about:
Whitefield Academy
Kings Ridge Christian School
Mt. Vernon Presbyterian

These are all over the place geographically.

If you attend a selective private school now, many times the current principal or headmaster has contacts with similar schools all over the country and can make a helpful phone call.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:32 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,761,705 times
Wesleyan would probably only take a child mid-year if they had an unexpected opening. It's a very selective school. And I imagine they would only accept students in those grades if they lost a student due to a move; those are not expansion years. You will probably need to consider some less competitive schools as well. Add Mt. Pisgah to the list lastminutemom suggested or possibly Mt. Paran Christian School and Providence Christian Academy.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:01 AM

Thank you all for your very helpful responses. I will definitely add the additional schools recommended to my search.I also plan on making some calls Monday.

One more question: I am very concerned with my teenage daughter fitting in. Does anybody know which ones of the schools mentioned would be the least "cliquey"? High school is tough, especially for girls, and I do not want to put her in a school where the children are not welcoming to new kids or in a school where everyone has known each other their whole lives and are, consequently, maybe not as welcoming?

Old 08-30-2012, 07:47 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,852,475 times
Mt Vernon Presbyterian is a viable option for you. It is welcoming and not clique-ish, and I am not sure but mid-year may be a possibility. Other schools may consider your children, as well, if they have special athletic/academic/artistic gifts. Obviously, make the phone calls--some school may have just had to expel a student! I don't know how important the faith aspect is at Mt. Vernon. I know it is strong at Whitefield and Wesleyan. Holy Spirit in Alpharetta may appeal to you--depending on the commute.

And I concur that you really must consider your husband's commute. If he is working in Alpharetta, for example, you would want to live there or a bit south for a reverse commute. If he is working in downtown Atlanta, you might want to live intown or Vinings or Sandy Springs. You do not want him on 285 driving east or west or driving in to the city. You will not see him. Pray for God to open the right doors for you. He can handle this!

Old 08-30-2012, 07:49 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,852,475 times
PS--I meant if he is working downtown, you COULD live as far as Sandy Springs--but probably closer would be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or