U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 06:27 AM

23,393 posts, read 17,563,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
To be a truly world class system, MARTA needs to be appealing to those that choose to ride transit over driving their car.
It already does. Ever see the northbound trains in the morning? Its full of professional people going to offices in Buckhead and Perimeter. Thousands of people that live south, east , and west of downtown take MARTA to their offices.
Let Clayton County citizens vote, what's the worst that could happen....a NO vote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 AM

29,363 posts, read 26,322,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
I'll admit I do not know David Ralston very well, so please enlighten me.
He's a smart, reasonable guy who is by no means anti-Atlanta.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:47 PM

743 posts, read 678,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
He's a smart, reasonable guy who is by no means anti-Atlanta.
I stand corrected. Watched a few of his videos, and I must say, I'm excited that ths guy is in a position of power in Georgia. What really solidified it were the anti-Ralston Tea party videos!

Old 02-22-2013, 10:16 AM

347 posts, read 343,651 times
Any new news out there on this effort? I tried to go to the Friends of Clayton Transit site and nothing came up.

www.claytontransit.com

and no real updates on their Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/claytontransit

Last edited by bfarley30; 02-22-2013 at 10:48 AM..

Old 04-16-2013, 08:49 AM

347 posts, read 343,651 times
Has anyone heard anything regarding this? I didn't even notice this bill!!

HB*6*2013-2014 Regular Session

For Piedmont Altamaha Transit Authority Act

Basically, this is to help construct the Atlanta to Macon Commuter rail line and add local bus service within those counties.

Clayton News Daily | Waites drafts southside transit authority bill

While I think overall it's a good idea I think MARTA would be better suited for Clayton county along with extending the existing heavy rail line from the East Point station through the northern part of Clayton with stations in Hapeville, the International terminal, Forest Park, Lake City/Fort Gillem, Clayton State, and ending at Southlake Mall/I-75 as a final commuter style station. MARTA can provide much better bus service than what this bill is probably going to be able too since Clayton is in the "Big 5" counties.

I think the commuter rail should also stop at East Point station from downtown, then the Southlake Mall/I-75 station then in Jonesboro with additional stops from Jonesboro until it reaches Macon. Let the PATA act as bus service within some of the suburban towns as a connector style service to the commuter rail.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:52 AM

23,393 posts, read 17,563,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfarley30 View Post
Has anyone heard anything regarding this? I didn't even notice this bill!!

HB*6*2013-2014 Regular Session

For Piedmont Altamaha Transit Authority Act

Basically, this is to help construct the Atlanta to Macon Commuter rail line and add local bus service within those counties.

Clayton News Daily | Waites drafts southside transit authority bill

While I think overall it's a good idea I think MARTA would be better suited for Clayton county along with extending the existing heavy rail line from the East Point station through the northern part of Clayton with stations in Hapeville, the International terminal, Forest Park, Lake City/Fort Gillem, Clayton State, and ending at Southlake Mall/I-75 as a final commuter style station. MARTA can provide much better bus service than what this bill is probably going to be able too since Clayton is in the "Big 5" counties.

I think the commuter rail should also stop at East Point station from downtown, then the Southlake Mall/I-75 station then in Jonesboro with additional stops from Jonesboro until it reaches Macon. Let the PATA act as bus service within some of the suburban towns as a connector style service to the commuter rail.
MARTA is better suited to serve Clayton County, especially since the majority of residents commute north for jobs. Extending HRT would take at least a decade.
It would be nice to have a commuter rail station in Hapeville to serve the city and HJIA.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:51 PM

924 posts, read 1,172,534 times
Commuter rail all the way to Macon? Anyone who commutes from Macon to Atlanta either just got a new job or is stupid. Should we send the next commuter train to Chattanooga or Oxford, AL??

Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 PM

5,288 posts, read 4,031,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
Commuter rail all the way to Macon? Anyone who commutes from Macon to Atlanta either just got a new job or is stupid. Should we send the next commuter train to Chattanooga or Oxford, AL??
It's not so much people living in Macon commuting to Atlanta every day as it is the necessity of providing rail transport between the two cities. For cities as far out as Jackson, it would be conventional commuter rail, Macon is only 20 miles more distant, so why not just go ahead and extend the trains? There are probably more people than you think though, that do commute between the two cities every day too.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:08 PM

4,365 posts, read 6,036,729 times
Reviving Clayton bus service isn

Old 09-18-2013, 03:26 AM

28 posts, read 28,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
I am so tired of the notion that MARTA has to be built to accomodate the poor or those that cannot afford to drive. And we wonder why people view public transportation as low class in this city?

To be a truly world class system, MARTA needs to be appealing to those that choose to ride transit over driving their car.

Don't get me wrong, adding a third paying county into the MARTA system sounds very appealing....I'm just not convinced that Clayton county would be wise for Marta in the long run.

My thoughts exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or