Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 02:51 PM

725 posts, read 1,279,313 times

Advertisements

[quote=cqholt;25738554]They were supporting it from the general fund. We are talking about Clayton County passing the MARTA sales tax and the biggest transit agency in the SE running buses to Clayton County.
Does GRTA run buses to Clayton County? If not then why don't they run buses from Clayton County to College Park Station?[/quote]

They do. They have a park & Ride on tara blvd in Jonesboro. However it is only good if you live close ot it or have a car to drive to it. Clayton is in serious need for local busses. I don't see the harm in letting the citizens vote on it.

For that matter, I would like to see a non-binding vote in Cobb just to gauge intrest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 03:11 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
They were supporting it from the general fund. We are talking about Clayton County passing the MARTA sales tax and the biggest transit agency in the SE running buses to Clayton County.
Okay. Will the $49 million be enough to run buses in Clayton?

Old 08-21-2012, 03:42 PM

410 posts, read 432,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Okay. Will the $49 million be enough to run buses in Clayton?
It only cost 10 million to run C Tran so I would think 49 million is more than enough.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:16 PM

749 posts, read 886,973 times
I am so tired of the notion that MARTA has to be built to accomodate the poor or those that cannot afford to drive. And we wonder why people view public transportation as low class in this city?

To be a truly world class system, MARTA needs to be appealing to those that choose to ride transit over driving their car.

Don't get me wrong, adding a third paying county into the MARTA system sounds very appealing....I'm just not convinced that Clayton county would be wise for Marta in the long run.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:35 PM

725 posts, read 1,279,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
I am so tired of the notion that MARTA has to be built to accomodate the poor or those that cannot afford to drive. And we wonder why people view public transportation as low class in this city?

To be a truly world class system, MARTA needs to be appealing to those that choose to ride transit over driving their car.

Don't get me wrong, adding a third paying county into the MARTA system sounds very appealing....I'm just not convinced that Clayton county would be wise for Marta in the long run.
It's not just whats best for marta, it's also whats best for clayton county.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:37 PM

730 posts, read 827,912 times
Quote:

Public perception of MARTA probably wouldn't be improved, but that really shouldn't impede its growth into the more desirable areas. Most transit systems function in both desirable and non desirable areas and do just fine.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:59 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
Thankfully, your opinion is in the minority as far as the 3 inner core metro Atlanta counties are concerned. The results of the T-SPLOST vote showed vastly smaller losing margins for those 3 places compared to the other counties they wee forced to be hitched to.

Because of that observation, I would wager that there are plenty of people outside of Georgia who would jump at the chance to come to Atlanta and create businesses if Georgia's state government finally decides to get its act together and take the leash off of Dekalb, Fulton, and Clayton county's true power.

There are so many young people full of potential out there in the world, that once they see that these 3 counties who are serious about transit are properly supported by dense commercial and residential developments, then that will be the tipping point for Atlanta's comeback. Believe it.

I'm hoping that Mayor Reed is in consultation with all of the leadership in all of the three aforementioned counties to create a more compact and realistic transportation plan to put forth before the state legislature. But it will take some decisive and prompt action from House Speaker Ralston and Senate Majority Leader Rogers to make it happen.

And once that happens, the other two metro counties will look like a bunch of intransigent throwbacks for not even trying to entertain a comprehensive 21st century transportation plan.

Mark my words, this will happen.

Quote:

Old 08-21-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Thankfully, your opinion is in the minority ..... it will take some decisive and prompt action from House Speaker Ralston and Senate Majority Leader Rogers to make it happen.

And once that happens, the other two metro counties will look like a bunch of intransigent throwbacks for not even trying to entertain a comprehensive 21st century transportation plan.

Mark my words, this will happen.
First of all, there's nothing I want more than for Atlanta to make it's great comeback, and it would be great to see it happen in the 3 core counties....but if you honestly believe that a politician from Blue Ridge and a politician from Woodstock are going to get behind any remotely progressive plan to advance Fulton, Dekalb and especially Clayton....well then all I have to say is that my opinion is not the only one in the minority...

Old 08-22-2012, 04:08 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
You must not know David Ralston.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You must not know David Ralston.
I'll admit I do not know David Ralston very well, so please enlighten me. On the other hand, I grew up in Woodstock and am very familiar with 'ol Chip Rogers...unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta