Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 09:22 AM

29 posts, read 36,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Can't agree more! The military is...alright, for those who wish to pursue it, but it is not for everyone and there's ups and downs to that as well. A lot of people may not even get accepted if they try.

If anything we should work on cutting the spending that goes to the military. Maybe if we weren't spending billions upon billions to the military above what our competitors do, then we could work on our economy and roads more to develop real, long term jobs and a stronger economy overall.
So true! I have so much more to say but I will hold tight of my fingers. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 11:30 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Leave the guy alone, he doesn't want to join the military. And he shouldn't have to risk his life just to make ends meet if he doesn't want to.

I don't know what to say aside from sorry to hear about your struggle. I hope that everybody who starts those "I'm moving to Atlanta without a job lined up, where should I live?" threads reads this one.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Leave the guy alone, he doesn't want to join the military. And he shouldn't have to risk his life just to make ends meet if he doesn't want to.

I don't know what to say aside from sorry to hear about your struggle. I hope that everybody who starts those "I'm moving to Atlanta without a job lined up, where should I live?" threads reads this one.
LOL...thanks ATLTJL! Hey, I'm a woman. :-)

I agree! I have read so many posts about people wanting to move here to Atlanta and will find jobs when they get here well they are in for a rude awakening. I, on the other hand, moved here after accepting a marriage proposal. Unfortunately (yet fortunately for different reasons), it didn't work out so I remained here in GA because it takes so much of your time and resources to relocate.

So for those that don't have a job, please don't come because you will find yourself in a far worst situation.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:22 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Hoping that things will look up for you in the future.

I agree I hope the people considering moving here without a job read your story.

The only other thing I can suggest is networking more outside of your actual field to build some business. May sound strange but I know someone who got a good position just due to their political affiliation and going to political meetups/social gatherings. They ran into a lot of politicians who liked them and their ideas (of course since they were the same ideology - they are democrats BTW) and got a very good position through the networking done at those social gatherings.

Even though this particular person was a democrat, I also have a co-worker who was offered a position from a former republican state senator in the former senator's new office (he works for a state government agency). Sounds weird but a few people I have known got a "hook up" from some big shot politicians, which by itself seems crazy but the person who got me the position I have now is the one who went to the democrat social gatherings and we had political debates (she likes my "independent streak" as I am not a follower of any specific ideology and she is one of those people who like to civilly debate) she enjoyed those discussions and got to know me and said she would find me a position and she did lol! I wasn't even looking for a job at that particular time but was happy I got to know her and she is a really good friend of mine now.

ETA: Volunteering is also a good way to network outside of a particular group. I have been referred for jobs and got the jobs after volunteering with people who worked for specific companies/organizations. That was about 6-7 years ago though but I also still keep in touch with the people I met.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:13 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,574 times
I'm sorry you're going through this, and I feel your pain. My DH was laid off from his engineering job in 2008 and now he's doing telesales for a third of his former salary. Despite daily job searching and networking, it took him 3 years to get that telesales job, so he's thankful to have it. He started his own business while he was laid off, and he continues to run it part-time, but it just earns enough to keep itself going, there's no profit or salary.

People keep saying the job market is coming back, and I see signs of it improving incrementally in my field (IT related), but not much anywhere else. Hang in there, and keep doing what you're doing...it's bound to get better sometday.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:34 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,072 times
hang in there, good things will happen to you. You are certainly a go getter and it will pay off. Impressive that you started a business and went back to school to better yourself. I know its so easy to get down when the job search doesn't go well so you deserve a lot of credit.

I just left my job after landing a new job so there is hope out there, you will find something or maybe you'll get to work for yourself and do what you really want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativmind View Post
Thank you SlimMackey! Ultimately, I prefer to be self-employed at the end of the day and would love to change the employer-employee dynamics.

What's interesting is that I have gone through a career change since being unemployed. I'm an old school artist (pen & sketch pad) and since being home I have learned to apply my skills in using Photoshop and Illustrator. In May, I started a graphic design company and have gained 17 clients in such a short time frame. So it would be nice to be able to find a job in the graphic design field, however most require you to have a degree and several years experience. Right now, I'm just self-taught.

I'm certain a breakthrough will come.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:28 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Definitely look in Texas. Hard to believe but Georgia and Atlanta ain't it right now.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
I'm sorry you're going through this, and I feel your pain. My DH was laid off from his engineering job in 2008 and now he's doing telesales for a third of his former salary. Despite daily job searching and networking, it took him 3 years to get that telesales job, so he's thankful to have it. He started his own business while he was laid off, and he continues to run it part-time, but it just earns enough to keep itself going, there's no profit or salary.

People keep saying the job market is coming back, and I see signs of it improving incrementally in my field (IT related), but not much anywhere else. Hang in there, and keep doing what you're doing...it's bound to get better sometday.
Thank you Researchnerd for the encouraging words! It's a shot to your confidence level when you know you're qualified and in most cases over qualified for positions. And then when you are offered a job paying 1/3 of what you were making is even more disappointing because you have overcome one obstacle and that's getting the job and now it's trying to make what little earnings you have cover all expenditures. It's interesting how it takes forever to save money, yet only a month or two to spend it all.

I think the most valuable lesson this situation has taught me is not trying to live beyond my income and patience. It took a year before I landed my products on the shelves of Whole Foods but I didn't give up. In June, I received my first orders.

I'm confident good things will come.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Definitely look in Texas. Hard to believe but Georgia and Atlanta ain't it right now.
You know, I actually have been applying for jobs in TX, CA, MD, VA and DC.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
hang in there, good things will happen to you. You are certainly a go getter and it will pay off. Impressive that you started a business and went back to school to better yourself. I know its so easy to get down when the job search doesn't go well so you deserve a lot of credit.

I just left my job after landing a new job so there is hope out there, you will find something or maybe you'll get to work for yourself and do what you really want.
Thanks Noah! The journey hasn't been easy and I have slipped in and out of a depressive state of mind. I'm determined to not allow this situation to get the best of me or to be medicated because of life's challenges. This season shall pass in my life soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: