U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 03:06 PM

2,124 posts, read 3,394,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
In 2012, is there really a need for any university that self segregates?
Of course not! They should close all of the schools that were the only opportunities for black folks to get a college education before the white folks said it was ok for them to come join immediately! They're no longer necessary now, no matter the heritage and tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
Attending a self segregating uni doesn't do any favors to those looking to work in our multi-cultural, global society. Whether it be black, white, womens, or sasquatch.
I'm quite sure the many successful African American grads, which, most black engineers and doctors graduate from...not white universities, would disagree.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:09 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,266,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
None of the schools in the AUC have money to make large land purchases right now. Morehouse is struggling big time and admitting anything with a pulse right now.
No offense man... but you're often too negative on too many things.

The other 3 HBCU's in the area collectively have an endowment in excess of $500 million.

Morris Brown is currently in debt of about $27 million.

I'm unaware of of how much the value of the property is actually worth, but alot of it is in bad condition.

There are also aren't many other uses for the property.

This means a bank would be hard pressed to find competitive offers on the property, so the idea another college (or all of them) in the area buying the property at a cheap rate isn't that crazy.

I also am not suggesting they should dig into their endowments w/o considering future plans, but the money is potentially there. The academic standing of Morehouse and Spelman are actually pretty good.

What I think is important for Atlanta and the region is some entity take possession of the property to make it functional again.... and not just decaying. I'm also worried about the long-term outlook of the stadium. It would be a shame for that to fall into disrepair as it was one of the legacy investments from the '96 games that could be a key asset for all schools in the AUC.

The other thing I would note... the other schools (which work more closely together with one another, than Morris Brown) have a vested interest in keeping the property around their campuses and the area of the AUC in good condition, Which Morris Brown's property is in decay from lack of funds, accreditation, and students.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
None of the schools in the AUC have money to make large land purchases right now. Morehouse is struggling big time and admitting anything with a pulse right now.
You feel the need to come throw this in any thread that mentions the AUC but there is nothing that seems to back up your claim. Do you have ANY facts that back this up?

Old 08-23-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post

The other 3 HBCU's in the area collectively have an endowment in excess of $500 million.
He's only negative when it comes to a few things but he's most definitely consistent with it..and blatantly obvious. If you were to believe him Morehouse has open enrollment and running the university off of donations.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:23 PM

14,450 posts, read 7,112,538 times
Quote:

I'm unaware of of how much the value of the property is actually worth, but alot of it is in bad condition.

This means a bank would be hard pressed to find competitive offers on the property, so the idea another college (or all of them) in the area buying the property at a cheap rate isn't that crazy.

I also am not suggesting they should dig into their endowments w/o considering future plans, but the money is potentially there. The academic standing of Morehouse and Spelman are actually pretty good.

What I think is important for Atlanta and the region is some entity take possession of the property to make it functional again.... and not just decaying. I'm also worried about the long-term outlook of the stadium. It would be a shame for that to fall into disrepair as it was one of the legacy investments from the '96 games that could be a key asset for all schools in the AUC.

The other thing I would note... the other schools (which work more closely together with one another, than Morris Brown) have a vested interest in keeping the property around their campuses and the area of the AUC in good condition, Which Morris Brown's property is in decay from lack of funds, accreditation, and students.
I agree with this. The other AUC institutions are doing well financially but if they don't need the additional space that MB offers, why would they delegate a lot of funds toward a purchase. I graduated from CAU and only a few years ago they made a lot of major upgrades on campus and there was talk of purchasing land from AHA on the old University Homes site, which is in better proximity to the main campus at CAU versus the MB campus area. CAU has had a lot of development over the past 15 years or so, they have built new dorms and demolished old ones and even if they don't end up getting the University homes space, they still own property on Fair Street where the old Birdcage dorm used to be that they can develop without having to purchase or lease anything from MBC.

I agree though that something should be done to keep MB from going into disrepair. I also agree that the stadium there should be upkept as it was a nice legacy from the Olympics.

In regards to segregated colleges, I found that to be pretty funny. I loved going to an HBCU and I have a very good position at a decent company (would be great but some of the people I work with get on my nerves). I have no problems getting along with people who aren't black, just like most black people don't either whether or not they go to an HBCU doesn't make a difference. And FWIW, HBCUs still graduate more black students than traditional universities and even though I'm sure the older generation plays into this statistic moreso than people in my generation, HBCU graduates end up making more salary-wise versus black people who graduated from non-HBCU institutions.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:28 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,309,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Emory isn't the most Economically diverse school.
Emory Ranked in Top 20 for Academics, Diversity, Innovation | Emory University | Atlanta, GA

I graduated Emory in the 80's and, it was pretty diverse for a private school in the 80's.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:52 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,117,059 times
Sell the buildings or raze them, Morris Brown is pretty much done for.

It had a nice run. It provided a lot of opportunities for black people who couldn't find it in very few if any other areas of the U.S.A. during the bad ol' days.

But now, it's been ran into the ground. The trustees of MBC's board failed in their mission to safeguard the University. Heck they wouldn't even allow Tom Joyner to at least buy the university and give it new life. Such arrogance in that decision-making process, I'd say.

Quite frankly I see it as just another indictment of the failure of the black baby-boom generation who gained so much from their parents' struggles, and yet squandered so much at the same time.

The aforementioned generation was so busy trying to keep up with the Joneses that they failed to realized that they were enslaving themselves to a new master(or maybe a slight variation of the old master) which is the banking industry. And now this precious institution is about to go by the way of the dodo, and what may be left after all is said and done is just a plaque or historical marker for memories.

Cut, print...that's a wrap, folks.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 08-23-2012 at 04:34 PM..

Old 08-23-2012, 04:01 PM

938 posts, read 1,459,589 times
Clark, Morehouse, and Spelman should all just buy the campus, leave the name the way it is but use the campus as additional classrooms etc. Kind of a tribute to the MBC legacy that way the campus lives on and the alumni have a place to return to for homecoming. P.S that stadium is huge there it would def suite the ever growing CAu who only has a small one sided stadium.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:54 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,612,847 times
Quote:
No offense taken. I'm a realist and find most of the ideas on here funny because they are based in in absence of facts and objective thought.

Quote:

That combined endowment really isn't very impressive compared to other private schools. The idea that the schools are doing well financially is not based in fact. I won't go into great detail with my experiences that prove my assertions. If you don't take my word for it, I understand and I wouldn't take someone's word on here either, but it is what it is.

Simply buying excess capacity for the sake of buying excess capacity is a poor business decision. Morehouse, Spelman and Clark do not have excess demand that is not being met with their current facilities. Buying facilities with the hope of one day growing into them is fiscally irrespsonsible. Why take on the ongoing operating and maintenance expsenses of building sitting idle? How much more investment would be required to bring the facilities up to today's standards? If you have been on Morehouse in the past 5 years, you'll see their facilities need upgrading to come close to modern standards.

Quote:

Agreed. There aren't many other uses for it right now, but that still doesn't mean that would be a good investment for any of the AUC schools.

Quote:

I agree, their reputations are good for HBCUs. However, take a look at Payscale.com and see how the degree is valued in the open market.

Quote:

The stadium is a nice asset and I always thought that it could be renovated into a nice MLS stadium should Atlanta ever get a team. However, I think the location is less than ideal for the area's soccer fans and would not work for that purpose. Perhaps the best solution is just to bulldoze the buildings and turning the area into park space or possibly park space and a small mixed use development. If I were responsible for the property, I would do everything I could to hold out to see if the Gulch is redeveloped and if a new Falcon's stadium is built in the area. If those things happen, the value of that land would increase significantly (provided they could bulldoze the existing structures and they aren't protected under some Historics building laws).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or