Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 09:04 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
A lot of white people are willfully ignorant about this stuff to the point of it being disgusting. You have to not even think or research for 2 min to think HBCUs actually discouraged or banned white people from going. This dude is supposedly educated too. Talk about losing hope for humanity....

Exactly. So correct. Good post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 03:06 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
When other schools are unable to make it financially, they typically seek out a merger partner or roll their programs into a more successful institution. Why is this not acceptable in the case of Morris Brown?
What does Morris Brown have to offer? 50 students, massive debt and facilities that are not up to par.

Who wants to inherit that and which school in the area is in a position to expand? Clark? Morehouse? Nope.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:17 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I personally know more people that have gone to what you might call "mediocre" schools and have reached high pinnacles in their careers than the many I know that went to great schools with great reputations.
Opportunity and access are main reasons many people do not even apply to such schools in the first place.

Both my parents went to HBCU's in undergrad.My parents are highly successful and hold many positions of importance.Many blacks choose to go black schools for many different reasons,but you are a fool to act like if you do choose it over,say a, Harvard type then you cannot achieve sucesss.

Either way there is no facts to support what you say is true either.
I would call them less than mediocre schools.

At no point did I say that people can't succeed from there. Success from the better schools is more likely as evidenced by the free market's decision to pay their graduates more initially and their graduates much, much higher mid-career earnings. These are facts. Your experiential tales lack any depth and aren't in line with the much larger data set I presented. On top of that you are ignoring key details like FAMU has a 12% 4 year graduation rate. Tuskegee has a 16% 4 year graduation rate. This is abysmal and does not reflect highly on these institutions at all.

Would you choose any HBCU over admissions to an elite college? If you answer yes, you obviously are seeking a lower chance of graduation and dramatically lower lifetime earnings. Facts.

Again... if you can't get in anywhere good and the choice is between a UWG or VSU vs. Clark or Morehouse, you might be better off at the HBCU, but that doesn't hold true to the accomplished student with real college choices.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:16 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Would you choose any HBCU over admissions to an elite college? If you answer yes, you obviously are seeking a lower chance of graduation and dramatically lower lifetime earnings.
Well, college is about a lot more than just book learning. Often who you know is more important than what you know.

Just recently I was in a meeting when we came to a sticky point. One fellow spoke up and said, "Don't worry, I'll call Smithers. We're both Princeton men."

I don't know what he said but it must have been pretty magical because they got it worked out.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:25 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Would you choose any HBCU over admissions to an elite college? If you answer yes, you obviously are seeking a lower chance of graduation and dramatically lower lifetime earnings. Facts.
Doubtful. If somebody did well enough in high school to actually have this choice, they'll be successful. And many HBCU grads go on to get advanced degrees at more academically prestigious schools anyway.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:46 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,844 times
Morris Brown College: Its plight, and how it can be saved - The Root DC Live - The Washington Post

Old 09-02-2012, 04:53 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,587 times
Maybe I am being wrong and/or overly judgmental, but I don't foresee the AME church giving up their power like that. I grew up with people in the church and lot of them tend to be petulant, power hungry, and very protective of the little fiefdoms that are conferred unto them from the church.

Some of these folks aren't the most brightest and outside of the church, they will have very little chance of accumulating any other type of meaningful power and influence in life. So I totally expect that the people at the AME church will allow Morris Brown to go bankrupt and out of business before they will ever give up their power and influence over this institution.

And isn't it funny that during this whole affair, no one at the AME church has step into the limelight to talk about Morris Brown's situation? Wouldn't someone on Morris Brown's board of directors have came out to try to enlist help to save this institution by now?

It's those type of details that to me, are important here. If no one at the AME church is willing to put their reputation at stake to try to save this historic institution, then I will reiterate my opinion: quite frankly it should go bankrupt and go away. Let's end this pointless drama once and for all, and then turn the page over to a new chapter.

Folks may not like what I've said, but it is what is.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 09-02-2012 at 05:06 PM..

Old 09-02-2012, 05:31 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
When other schools are unable to make it financially, they typically seek out a merger partner or roll their programs into a more successful institution. Why is this not acceptable in the case of Morris Brown?
One word....p-r-i-d-e

Seems like they are willing to accept monetary help but only on their own terms.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:41 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Many great solutions.

My favorites:

1. Two-year college (stand alone)
2. Two-year college--as a subset of Georgia Tech...a la Oxford and Emory (the article said a subset of Georgia State, but I think the "bigger" college needs to be higher status than Georgia State--even though GSU is a great school!).
3. Niche/one focus school--almost like a trade school.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:06 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,097,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
According to the College Board website, Spelman is currently only 72% black and Clark is 92% black. I didn't see any demographic data for Morehouse.
That's interesting, I see that on College Board too. But according to a website called myfuture Spelman is 99.71% Black.

• 0.10% (Asian/Pacific Islander)
  • 99.71% (Black)
  • 0.10% (Caucasian)
  • 0.10% (Hispanic/Latino)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta